1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 46
    Sesame Street's 46th season officially began Saturday January 16 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The New "Am I the Only One" Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Jun 17, 2008.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I love A Christmas Story, it's a gorgeous, witty film. It's troubling that they interrupted the marathon as it could signal even worse cuts next year. As usual, Television keeps digging its own grave, lol.

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's the big thing, though. Movies that don't make that much always get a second chance when they air on television. That's what saved "It's a Wonderful Life." Basically it was the cheapest thing they could air (a copyright lapse, apparently), and now everyone's seen it, and NBC threw a bunch of money at it to get exclusive rights. TBS clearly did it at first as filler, but then they made it a "tradition" and did it every year since. Face it, what does TBS have to air that isn't the same programming on syndication anyway?

I just don't like many Christmas movies. They're all trying to be the next heartwarming pap or National Lampoon knockoff. I'm open to seeing Arthur Christmas at some point now, but they just don't make any good Christmas movies. Not so much anymore, but there's only so many cliches you can fit in before they get all stale. I REALLY hate those cheap telefilms that keep polluting the airwaves at this time. I mean, "Mistle-tones?" What the crap is that?

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Remember when every November, TBS would play The Wizard of Oz SEVERAL times a month as a "tradition"? Now, they hardly even play it maybe for a weekend before Thanksgiving.
    Well, Vince Vaughn is apparently producing a bunch of original sitcoms for them right now that don't look too interesting any way.

4. Drtooth

TBS hasn't had a single original hit, has it? No wonder why they're bragging about running a popular show you can see on syndication.

5. D'Snowth

Well, there was that sitcom that New Girl is a ripoff of that had Jim Gaffigan on it... I think that one lasted two or three seasons or so. My Boys I believe it was called.

That Courtney Cox series Cougar Town moved to TBS this season, they seem really happy about it (but constantly say in the promos what a crappy title it has).

6. Drtooth

I completely agree with the creator of the show. Cougar Town was a terrible name, considering only one character was even a cougar, and she wasn't even a regular. I guess the term was popular when they were trying to sell the series and that was the only way ABC would pay attention. I dunno. The creator desperately wanted to change the name, but it seems that he backed off on it out of concerns of brand recognition. Still, the show is basically about 40 year olds desperately trying to act in their 20's. Too bad the title Arrested Development was already taken. That would fit.

7. D'Snowth

Isn't that basically what Kris Jenner is?

charlietheowl likes this.
  8. Drtooth

That's basically every 40 year old at this point. Once you lose your youth, it's not a pretty thing to get back. And it's far more depressing to conform to age appropriate stuff at that age.

But anyway, I really wanted to like Cougar Town, but after a while the characters became shallow. It's like some sort of Flanderized version of the Scrubs cast. And they played PENNY CA-A-A-A-AN!!! way too much.

9. D'Snowth

Am I the only one who dislikes MOD?

10. Vincent L

Vincent L Well-Known Member

Movies On Demand?

11. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

the movie choices are pretty sucky :p

12. D'Snowth

No, "Manufactured On Demand".

Y'know, where studios release movies and TV shows that people actually want on DVD on DVD, but it's like, "Yeah, we know you really wanted this, but we can't just let you have it wham-bam-boom, we need you to risk identity theft, among other frustrating inconveniences, to get it, because, where's the fun in you simply walking into the store, paying for it, and walking out with it?"

13. Sgt Floyd

how do you risk identity theft? O_0

14. Drtooth

MOD is unfortunately a matter of at least its something. Thankfully, it only really affected old Hanna Barbera shows that wouldn't sell too well at retail anyway. There was a real fear that was the only way they would release Nicktoons, but Shout came to the rescue on that one. Other than that, there really isn't too much out there I'd bother with MOD. Unless WB decided to release The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley or Secret Squirrel as MOD's, I just don't really care myself. Though I did consider looking into Pac-Man.

As for having to buy stuff online, that's an unfortunate thing that you have to do sometimes because the problem with the joy of walking into a store and buying something only matters if said stores stock what you're looking for. 9 times out of 10, you can find it no problem.

15. D'Snowth

Isn't that like asking, "How do you risk viruses?" whenever some one gets on the internet?

16. Sgt Floyd

But I mean, how are they specifically causing you to risk identity theft? It's not like they are asking for your social security number. What do they do differently than ordering anything else online?

17. Drtooth

I think he's just afraid that buying stuff online=someone's going to steal your identity. You have more of a chance of that happening in a restaurant using a credit card than getting identity theft buying something online.

Just don't try to buy any yachts and you'll be fine.

newsmanfan likes this.
  18. D'Snowth

It's a risk when you order any thing online; you have to provide certain personal information when you register accounts on these sites, like addresses, credit card numbers, among other things... if your account were to be compromised, and that information is exposed, any body can do any thing with it.

EDIT: Drtooth ziffeled me.

19. Sgt Floyd

:/

And we've had people who work in a hotel use our credit card information to buy things. It's a risk you take ANYWHERE when you use a credit card. Online isn't any more dangerous...

20. Drtooth

Online's probably safer. Especially if you use a trusted company.