The NBA is Rigged... And More

Drtooth

Reaction score
All I can say is...WOW! Fifa must really have been corrupt for none of the other sports authorities to get that much attention.

There really needs to be more accountability on these supposed "non-profit" companies. They hide concussion research, they bully local governments into massive tax payer funded boondoggles by threatening to leave the state... just all over, these are complete scumbags. Doesn't matter if it's the NBA, NFL, MLB... just disgusting levels of greed and corruption. But HEY! If you get caught screwing around with footballs, they'll hunt you down like a rabbit and waste a fortune in court costs to make sure someone's a sacrificial lamb for the whole thing. Rigging a game from the league ownership level, perfectly okay.

Just...ugh... the players and fans deserve better. I remember reading that there was going to be a Bullwinkle Super Bowl special and the NFL took action against it because it portrayed team owners as corrupt, mafioso types. Yeah... probably didn't want Moose and Squirrel to shed light on these types.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
All I can say is...WOW! Fifa must really have been corrupt for none of the other sports authorities to get that much attention.

There really needs to be more accountability on these supposed "non-profit" companies. They hide concussion research, they bully local governments into massive tax payer funded boondoggles by threatening to leave the state... just all over, these are complete scumbags. Doesn't matter if it's the NBA, NFL, MLB... just disgusting levels of greed and corruption. But HEY! If you get caught screwing around with footballs, they'll hunt you down like a rabbit and waste a fortune in court costs to make sure someone's a sacrificial lamb for the whole thing. Rigging a game from the league ownership level, perfectly okay.

Just...ugh... the players and fans deserve better. I remember reading that there was going to be a Bullwinkle Super Bowl special and the NFL took action against it because it portrayed team owners as corrupt, mafioso types. Yeah... probably didn't want Moose and Squirrel to shed light on these types.
I agree, because sport is not intended to be about profit. Sport is fun physical activity. Sporting Leagues and Associations should be professional athletes on many different teams play on for a championship, and to support their family. Owners should be people who can finance stadium construction, the team itself, and work within the rules of the league. The League itself should promote health, interest in the game itself, get a TV deal, and NOT. BE. CORRUPT. Also, the league itself should not have a predetermined outcome, which likely unfortunately happens in the NBA more than any other league.

In order of most corrupt to least, here are sporting leagues in the USA.
Tie-1: NFL-much of which Drtooth stated was NFL corruptness, it's bad.
Tie-1 NBA- Very possible that there is predetermined outcome, that's really bad. Also, absolutely cares only about the big market teams.
Rigging the draft lottery ever since it was started
2: MLB- has shady history with Steroids, possibly only cares about Big Market teams.
The NHL might be corrupt, but not even close to the levels of the NFL, NBA and MLB. The MLS is too small of a league to be corrupt, although some owners own teams within other leagues, so there. The WNBA is incredibly irrelevant, but a part of the NBA Company. The NCAA is hugely corrupt, almost NFL/NBA levels, but it's only collegiate level play. Any league with worldwide governance is very likely corrupt. (FIFA, IOC, etc.)
So there's my Sports rant. I love the game itself, that's it.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I fast-forwarded through that video and saw the person trying to use numerology to make their case, plus they had a pop-up link saying the Orlando nightclub shooting was a hoax, so this person has no clue. I don't think that the NBA is rigged. Do officials tend to favor the home team when it comes to calls? Of course. But I don't think it goes deeper than that because someone would be bound to spill the beans eventually, a disgruntled fired employee, someone in the league offices. All we've had is Tim Donaghy calling every game with some bad calls suspicious.

As for sports corruption, it's a huge issue. There's starting to be some pushback against cities footing the bill for stadiums, as Oakland basically won't give out any of their money to Athletics or Raiders for new facilities. Atlanta told the Braves to pound sand when they wanted a replacement for a stadium that opened in 1997. The Texas Rangers are getting pushback for a planned replacement for their 23 year old ballpark, especially with the revelation that the city was/is planning on using the public's tax payments to go towards the Rangers' obligations for the stadium. It's slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for sports corruption, it's a huge issue. There's starting to be some pushback against cities footing the bill for stadiums, as Oakland basically won't give out any of their money to Athletics or Raiders for new facilities. Atlanta told the Braves to pound sand when they wanted a replacement for a stadium that opened in 1997. The Texas Rangers are getting pushback for a planned replacement for their 23 year old ballpark, especially with the revelation that the city was/is planning on using the public's tax payments to go towards the Rangers' obligations for the stadium. It's slow progress, but progress nonetheless.
Things like that really get under my skin. Now, I have to admit I'm slightly more fiscally conservative than I let on. When it comes to wasting tax payer money, I feel everyone has common ground, or should, when it comes to companies that have enough capital to support themselves, but don't wanna. Bullying major cities into tax payer funded ultra-stadiums and not letting them share in the profits should be the first thing conservatives should speak out against. But they don't. That and corporate welfare, but I'm not going into that now.

These leagues don't so much have skeletons in their closets so much as elephant graveyards in their living rooms you can see through the large windows from across the street. It's all about money and corruption. Look at how Rio's handling the Olympics. Yep, poorly. And frankly, that's what the Olympic committee deserves. Having their games go to terrible countries because the world has finally caught on that hosting the games leads to long term, unsalvageable, economic slumps. Then there's the college basketball league that refuses to pay for its "student athletes," yet makes a profit off athlete likenesses on video games without the need to even ask permission, let alone give them royalties. Even some PeeWee sports leagues are freaking corrupt. What the heck is up with sports management and corruption? How come we're all so complicit?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
These leagues don't so much have skeletons in their closets so much as elephant graveyards in their living rooms you can see through the large windows from across the street. It's all about money and corruption. Look at how Rio's handling the Olympics. Yep, poorly. And frankly, that's what the Olympic committee deserves. Having their games go to terrible countries because the world has finally caught on that hosting the games leads to long term, unsalvageable, economic slumps.
I don't see how the Rio Olympics won't be a huge disaster, it seems like every week something else is going wrong. Just the other day their drug testing lab was closed down, so samples have to be flown out of the country to be tested. The infrastructure in Rio is nonexistent and they had to declare a financial emergency to cover their obligations. It's a huge waste of money that really won't benefit the host country/city in any lasting way.