The Muppets, The Movie Junior Novel

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Hey Everyone;
Ok so I totally went all die-hard Muppet fan crazy and purchased the Kindle version of the Muppets, the Movie Junior Novel even though I already pre-ordered the paperback because I wanted to read this thing so badly and with Kindle I got the book downloaded to my Ipod last night. After reading the book one of the only things that keeps whirling through my mind is ...OH....MY......MUPPETS!!!!!

I'll already tell you now...because the book is based on the movie it is SPOILER CENTER, which everybody probably guessed. So if you want to not know the story before you see the movie then do not go anywhere near this book because trust me...the temptation is way to hard to resist. I thought I had the willpower but alas, all the pent-up emotion and excitement with finally having a new Muppet film and all the amazing things surrounding it sent me over the edge that I downloaded the book and read it all in a hour and a half. I promise not to give any spoilers away while talking about it on here.

All I will say is that if the movie is anything like the book us Muppet fans are in for a wonderful and tear-jerking experience. The book is great in that it doesn't give away any celebrity cameos (only mentioning that a celebrity does this or a character does that, etc.) It also leaves out a lot of the little stuff that I think is going to make the movie great and shouldn't be in the book anyway but the heart and center of the plot is there in all its glory and....it's a wonderful story.

It has the heart, humor and honesty that we as Muppet fans know and love. There are definitely parts where you can tell that the story was written by a fan, but also with the desire to show the rest of the world why fans like us love the Muppets so much. I think it brings out the best in the characters, but it also brought a lot of depth to each character as well. Each had a back-story and an inner conflict and I loved it because it showed the characters as multi-dimensional, not just "Kermit the leader" or "Piggy the diva". I think the book did a decent job of preparing a "junior audience" for the movie. There is an interesting dichotomy between kids entertainment today and what the Muppets did that I think will play a big role in the film- definitely one of the things about the book and upcoming movie that I love most of all because it is something that I really connect with as a Muppet fan and a young adult today in a world where most children and tween entertainment is unbelievably unintelligent.

Most of the pictures in the book from the film are ones we have seen before, but there are also new pictures that look great!

So if you want to stay away from spoilers, don't buy the book until after you see the movie, but definitely get this book! I didn't know it was possible but I am even more excited to see the movie than ever and it is going to take a lot for me not to go insane while waiting for this movie to come out- overall I think fans are going to LOVE this movie and I am so joyful that we as fans finally have a big new Muppet production that we will be truly proud of.

Frogster

Reaction score
Hey, pretty sweet! Any chance you could post those new pictures up somehow?

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Hmm, good question. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull them off of my e-book but I'll try when I get back from the office today.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
After thinking about it a little more, I think that the book maybe didn't do as great of a job with introducing the characters to newer fans. For anyone who had some background knowledge of the Muppets, they would definitely be able to enjoy this book.

for anyone who really didn't know a lot about the Muppets before reading the book- I think they would still enjoy it but maybe not get some of the greatness and depth of the characters in the book. I appreciated the story and what the story is trying to do a lot more because of the information I knew about the characters going into it.

I hope somewhere they show a non-fans' perspective of what they thought of the book- definitely one of the things about the movie coming out that I am really excited about- seeing if we can create a whole new generation of Muppet fans.

Jasonzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation, Muppetfan44. I decided to download the ebook and read it while on the bike at the gym. Just finished it, and I was very pleased with it! You're right, it made me even MORE excited for the movie! It gave us a good idea of some of the jokes, but didn't spoil anything. But yeah, you're right about it not presenting the characters to newbies. I guess the author assumes we already know who the Muppets are and what their personalities are like....but for younger people, this may not be the case. But I would imagine if they're reading this book, they probably already have some idea of who the Muppets are. But anywho, enjoyed the book. :smile:

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
You're welcome for the recommendation, Jasonzilla, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book- I was so excited that it only cost $5!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Without naming any names, does the book mention any obscure characters by name who don't have any big parts in the movie? It'd be interesting if it did name anyone we wouldn't expect to be mention (and clue in to if they have some role other than being there).

By "obscure", I mean none of the following characters: Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Scooter, Bunsen, Beaker, Dr. Teeth, Floyd, Animal, Janice, Zoot, Pepe, Rizzo, Robin, Link, Dr. Strangepork, Lew Zealand, Crazy Harry, Beauregard, Sweetums, Statler and Waldorf, The Swedish Chef, Pops, Bobo, Uncle Deadley (okay, he is obscure, but he's major in this) or any character created for the movie. And I'm sure some of those characters I listed aren't mentioned by name in the book.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Without naming any names, does the book mention any obscure characters by name who don't have any big parts in the movie? It'd be interesting if it did name anyone we wouldn't expect to be mention (and clue in to if they have some role other than being there).

By "obscure", I mean none of the following characters: Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Scooter, Bunsen, Beaker, Dr. Teeth, Floyd, Animal, Janice, Zoot, Pepe, Rizzo, Robin, Link, Dr. Strangepork, Lew Zealand, Crazy Harry, Beauregard, Sweetums, Statler and Waldorf, The Swedish Chef, Pops, Bobo, Uncle Deadley (okay, he is obscure, but he's major in this) or any character created for the movie. And I'm sure some of those characters I listed aren't mentioned by name in the book.
That's a definite no, definitely no obscure character; just the traditional core group of Muppets, with Pepe added. I will say that Uncle Deadly had a much larger role than what I expected.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
i have this book read it in about an hour none stop this spoiled most the movie for me sadly but it is gonna be a good movie its tear jerking sad and also very muppety and there is something in store for the segal adams romance in the book :smile:

ElectricMayhem1

Reaction score
just got the book last week Janice look's so weird well the fake Janice the moppets one