"The Muppets" Teaser Poster

beaker

Reaction score
This is why I wish they had some reputable place to buy movie posters cheap...

Though it will never be as beautiful as those old hand drawn, painted ones.
ebay! Ive gotten all sorts of one sheets, smaller promo posters, etc for a few bucks over the years. As soon as these hit lobbies, they'll hit ebay

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The tagline is basically saying that all that magic, nostalgia and the characters aren't gone. They're living, breathing and working in our modern world and even if they're not visible right now, they're closer than we think. It's obvious to me. As a graphic designer and artist it kind of bewilders me how something so clear could be misunderstood. That's why great concepts get shelved in favor of GC Smurfs smooshed in subway doors. :stick_out_tongue:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm a bit mixed on the poster (and why do I get the feeling there'll be seperate posters for each character in the poster, in the same pose but alone?). I feel they look a bit CGI.

I wasn't expecting this kind of poster image. But then again, I don't know what I was expecting.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I got the impression that the tagline referred to the idea that puppets were among us. After all, isn't Walter a puppet who wants to make contact with others of his kind? Perhaps in this movie puppets are just another kind of person.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Nicely addressed, Jamie! Although I'd take understanding the tagline a step further... "Closer than you think" could also mean that although they are (for the purpose of the story) separated, they are still close. The Muppets are all linked to one another, even as they go their (*choke/sob*) separate ways... displayed by the steps they are taking away from each other...even as Kermit strides towards us with his usual resolve to get them back together again.

Also, I love their use of perspective here to make them all seem both in-proportion and also just the right size! Piggy looks gorgeous (obviously).

Reevz1977

Reaction score
In all honesty, I really don't know how I feel about this poster. I THINK I love it but I'm really not sure...it's weird. I think I love it because it's the Muppets and they look so...alive. I must have looked at it in excess of 100 times so far today. I guess the mixed feeling comes from the fact that it's so far removed from what I was expecting I suppose. I still really dislike the new logo though - that I am certain of...and kermits inner thighs look odd. I really don't know peeps, I'm confused...HELP!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with much of this.

While I prefer a Drew Struzan painted poster (we never know, that could still be possible) this kind of photo-realistic glossy poster is what the main moviegoing market responds to these days. On the other hand it does make so many silly people think that this movie is some sort of cynical CG attempt. That will soon be remedied by the trailers so I'm not too concerned.

They're closer than you think is just specific and just vague enough to relate to the part in all of us that misses the Muppets.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I just wish TMS Season 4 Box Set was closer than we think!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Some more thoughts on the tagline...

They could be 'closer' to the way that you and I act and think than many people realize...
Close in terms of time to the movie, of course...
Close could also suggest living next-door in OUR world, as opposed to some CGI universe where only they (or talking cars) live...
It could also mean they are all having affairs with one another (unlikely)
Or that they are something of a uniform unit. ie. Don't mess with us, we're closer than you think...
Also, they may be 'closer' to the Muppets that we originally loved than they have been in recent movies...
Or, it could mean that they've all been sat in a phone booth for hours recording commentary for a music video and the air is all clammy...again, unlikely...

Just some thoughts...

Bea:zany:{I may have a dictionary/theosaurous here}regard

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I really don't know how I feel about this poster. I THINK I love it but I'm really not sure...it's weird. I think I love it because it's the Muppets and they look so...alive. I must have looked at it in excess of 100 times so far today. I guess the mixed feeling comes from the fact that it's so far removed from what I was expecting I suppose. I still really dislike the new logo though - that I am certain of...and kermits inner thighs look odd. I really don't know peeps, I'm confused...HELP!
A technical discussion! Cool!
(Please don't think that this means I don't love the poster. I do, but I also dig picking apart the construction of things. So please, no flames people. Thanks!)

Kermit's the only one that really concerns me on the poster. He's kind of stiff, flat-headed and they really should have Photoshopped his odd-looking poser thighs a little bit. I think the Disney team is still learning, but that curve is tightening up a whole lot more these days.

Gonzo looks great. It appears that his nose will officially be fatter now, but he's also back to his classic sweater rather than that chili pepper suit he's been stuck in for over a decade. It always reminds me of the Arsenio Hall era of fashion. I could go off onto a long tirade of why they dressed him that way.

Miss Piggy looks pretty good. Heftier and that's okay with me. They finally got Animal looking good. Just the right amount of matte to fluff ratio with the hair. Fozzie looks like Fozzie.

The logo is growing on me. I get it. I just don't like it all that much. Maybe the casual fan doesn't see this, but it always looks like Kermit's back is turned to us because of the spacing of the points. On the other hand, it is very Monsters Inc looking and palatable for the youth market. It's an effective branding tool. I just hope it's not the only one they're using in the Muppet branding arsenal. It does come off as art-schoolish. I prefer the classic logo and always will. I also liked what they did with the lettering in the Palisades era when they fused the classic lettering with modern typography. Everything since has been blah.

I'd really like to see your poster! How's that comin? :smile: