1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

"The Muppets" Official Movie Trailer

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Frogpuppeteer, Jun 17, 2011.

1. chuckecheese123

chuckecheese123 New Member

I hope rowlf and scooter will have big roles in this, after Jim Henson died they've been excluding them, rowlf used to be more famous then Kermit! they were 2 of the main muppets when Jim Henson was alive, along with kermit, miss piggy, fozzie, gonzo, and camilla. I am really thankful that Disney is bringing back the classic muppet cast from the original muppet show, but they should give rowlf and scooter big roles like the muppets glory days with Jim Henson :)
  2. TSSD

TSSD Active Member

No not the "We haven't done this in a really long time" part, the "Your fans haven't left you..." part.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Oh ho ho! Don't get me wrong. Even though I detest the loudness and rowdiness kids bring to a theater I want EVERYONE to go see this thing. I remember when I saw MFS both times at the cheaper theater, it was packed with kids. It seems to me that adults would be the ones taking kids to see this unless other parents have a LOT of Muppet DVDs/videos. I went to a Sunday Midmorning or midafternoon (I forget) Looney Tunes film festival a while ago, and all these parents in front of me were talking about how they show their kids all these Muppet videos... they were young kids, sure... but still... it's GREAT to see that.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm surprised MFS was packed with anybody. [​IMG] I encourage kids to come, but audience members of all ages are now guilty of rudeness since the invention of smart phones and ipods. It's like people bringing flashlights and radios into the theater! We can see and hear you, people!! [​IMG] Remember when the worst thing that could happen was noisy talkers and people with laser pens?

I try to catch the morning showings if possible. Even though it's considered the kids' viewing time, many don't seem to go to them because their parents are too busy to take them that early. :wisdom:
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Showings better be packed with kids. I don't want this to simply be a college aged nostalgia trip. A couple years ago Regal/UA was doing their usual free summer movie tues-wed thing. It's usually garbage cgi/cgi live action hybrid kid's films you couldn't pay me to see. But, this one time on both tues and wed the showing was of Muppets Take Manhattan. The first two screens were overflowing, so they had to open up a third screen. So that's six no empty seat showings in two days of Muppets Take Manhattan in my area alone kids were exposed to. And given there were countless theaters participating in that free kids movie summer program, Im sure thousands more got to experience the magic of the Muppets on the big screen...much as I did opening weekend in 1984 when Muppets Take Manhattan was released. (Was too young too see or remember the first two)

I haven't really seen any sign of promotion for the Muppet film yet in day to day life(in contrast to Toy Story 3 when there was nowhere in America you could go to without being reminded of it at least a good year before it was out) but I still am trusting the Disney marketing machine.

People don't want to say it out loud, but we all know this is pretty much make or break time for the franchise. If this tanks or under performs, it won't be good for the future.
  6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

You're right that kids must see this film for it to work. I just hope the jokes work in that all-inclusive classic Muppet style instead of the watered-down DC Live humor or sticking in something for shock-value in order to please the older crowd. The Muppets have always existed, not in the middle of that, but above it. I hope this film honors that tradition. Indicators are that it just might.

The Muppets don't have the continued popularity the Toy Story characters have enjoyed for the past couple decades. It made sense to wind people up for anticipation a year before release. There's been a healthy amount of Muppet promotion. I've had friends send me snapshots of the teaser poster up in movie theaters and the Muppets have already received much more publicity than the upcoming Pooh movie. I don't see any need to jump the gun and second-guess the Disney marketing machine at this point. It's good not to antagonize the public with too much promotion until a few months before the picture. This movie is exactly on the right track so far. [​IMG]
  7. outerelf

outerelf Active Member

I always thought it was Gonzo's voice, but then again... It probably is Walter. It just doesn't really match up to when he tells Jason Segal to throw him over the fence.
  8. Drtooth

Eh... cheaper middle of the day matinee near the end of the summer. All I can say. But this was back when the theater I'm referring to had second run films. I remember that year having to wait until October for Star Wars episode 1. nd the kids in the theater were pretty young, so... I can't say I was surprised. But both times, it was a full house. Maybe it was just the smaller room in the theater... I forget.

Yet when I saw Kung Fu Panda 2 and Cars 2 there, seemed like there weren't that many people about. Maybe it's just that theater caters to suburban people who live near by and their kids grew up or something...

Like I said before, it's VERY hard to tell with Pooh, since Disney was always milking that one. I'm seeing Pooh stuff with the movie logo on it, but then again... there's SOOOO much Pooh stuff around, maybe it doesn't need all that much of a promotion.
  9. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

In the trailer, around 0:15 - 0:16, is it just me, or is the extra in the crowd of Muppet fans on the far right (just slightly out of shot) wearing a Scooter jacket? Probably not, but it sure looks like one.
  10. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Hey it would not suprise me any. Scooter has really been trying to make a comeback in the last few years, and I'm glad the Muppets have kind of been not the same without him. They could also start selling thouse jackets and I would be one of the first people to want to buy one.
  11. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Ha! My first thought is that some fan made a Scooter jacket, the way Star Trek fans make Starfleet uniforms. Shoot, I once made a Ranma Saotome jacket.

One things that jumps out at me, and I don't think anyone else has mentioned it: in the shot in the office, Thog's head is obviously a separate piece from his body, no attempt to hide or camouflauge it. To me it looks as if they hadn't finished the puppet when they shot that scene.
  12. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I did notice recently that Thog has cool blinking eyes, though!
  13. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

On some versions of the trailer, the Scooter-like jacket appears around 0:21-0:22.
  14. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Somebody pointed out that it looks like Jason Segal is performing Dr. Teeth in the car scene, in additon to appearing on-camera. And I started thinking about this. None of Bill Barretta's other characters are in the car (no Rowlf, no Swedish Chef, and of course no Pepe, unless he's on the floor and out of shot). I guess they had to put Dr. Teeth in the back, given the size of his hat (so as to not block any other characters).

It made me wonder if maybe Bill Barretta wasn't there when that scene was shot. But then it made me think of something else: Though I thought none of his other characters are in the car, maybe Bill performs '80s Robot. After all, we haven't seen any reports on who performs that character, there's been no behind-the-scenes photos of the character. Of course I expected a newer performer to perform the robot, but we won't know until it's released (or earlier).
  15. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

If you look again Chef was sitting beside Kermit.
  16. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

If Bill is performing 80s Robot then I predict another breakout star for the Barretta! I'm secretly hoping that its a unique character for Eric or Vogel, because I always find it a teensy bit unfair that they have to do other people's characters and don't have any of their own.
    frogboy4 likes this.
  17. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I agree, though I sort of hope it's another Peter Lintz character (I have a feeling he'll also be one of the Moopets, but until we see an official cast listing or hear the voices we'll never know).
  18. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

speaking of the voices every time i hear miss poogy talk i think drew massey
  19. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

I wouldnt have a problem with that - jason segel is great with puppeteering - havent you seen forgetting sarah marshall? there is an awesome scene with a puppet musical based on dracula lol and from what ive heard hes a die hard fan anyway., so Im sure if he was doing it , it would get all the care and passion youd expect from a regular muppeteer :)
  20. Drtooth

I wonder if he did it naturally or Henson actually trained him. I need to see the DVD again with commentary, they must say something there. And let's not forget, if it wasn't for that movie, there wouldn't be this movie.

In case anyone wonders, YES, this was played with Winnie the Pooh. Actually, it works better theatrically. Though, again, the Moopets part will confuse the more casual Muppet watchers. Seemed to get a good reaction too.
    Duke Remington likes this.