"The Muppets" Official Movie Trailer

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Ok- it's like 2:30 in the morning and I really should be going to bed, but I finally finished my bar prep studying for the day and I have been DYING to put my full commentary up on here so here it is:

Love the dramatic, tension-filling music in the beginning, the glimpse of the Hollywood sign, and hearing Kermit say that they are trying to get the gang back together again. Grabs your attention and gives you a main part of the movie plot all in 10 seconds-Awesome!

I did recognize that it was Fozzie's voice at the beginnig, but to give people the benefit of the doubt, the voice was a little off, but Fozzie's appearances throughout the rest of the movie are spot-on!!

"Your fans haven't left you, the world hasn't forgotten"- OMG I start to choke up right here, and it's only 20 seconds in. The second or third time I watched the trailer I was saying out loud, "Darn right! We've always been here and we'll never forget! Please come back and make people happy again, WE MISS YOU" haha, I know a little dramatic but hey, we've been waiting so long for this so totally justified :wink: Walter is definitely starting to warm up on me!!!

Comments about the voices: Here I think it's a toss-up; I think it's cute and nostalgic hearing the non-traditional muppet characters harken back to the classic days and trying to convince someone, probably Kermit, by cuing the theme song but I can see non-Muppet fams being confused and maybe even creeped out a little just hearing Amy Adams in a kid-like voice singing, "It's time to meet the Muppets". I like it but I think it could have been done a little less creepily I think. Also, why are there so many banjos!? I personally would have like seeing one propped up in a corner but it's a minor point so I'll move on...

I like how the trailer is trying to introduce, or really, reintroduce the Muppets and mainly the concept of Muppets (walking talking awesome characters in the real world). Loved Fozzie's back together comment with the surround shot of a group getting ready to clean up the theater. And did you see the arches in the background- SO AWESOME! Another OMG moment for me, lol.

I'm going to put my comments about Segal's stuff here- I love his enthusiasm! He seems more excited by the Muppets more than the Muppets are. I love how almost everytime you see him in the trailer he has a big goofy smile on his face. I think it will be a really positive impact on the movie having one of the main characters be a really big fan and friend of the Muppets and not being freaked out by the "you're a frog and you can talk" thing. He's a popular celebrity and I really think his support of the characters for what they are supposed to be on and off screen is really going to make this comeback great!

And now my Miss Piggy comments: OMG she looks fantastic! I am sooooo glad to see that she has a bunch of fashion/hairstyle changes throughout and she is looking and sounding like the beautiful, sensitive and in-charge diva that we love without the really nasty attitude all of the time. That is definitely one of my biggest fears is that they are going to perpetuate the really negative and nasty diva-side of Piggy that they have been favoring during the more recent projects and that really ticks me off. Sure Piggy acts like that sometimes but making her like that all the time makes her so one-dimensional which she definitely is NOT!!! Hoping and praying that we can get the witty, flirty and fun side of Piggy back and so far I think this movie definitely has promise for that even though we have not seen a lot what Piggy character is going to be like.

"This is Their Movie"- As a huge muppet fan, I LOVE THAT!!! I think it's people on the creative team trying to put us fans at ease that the movie isn't going to be all about Gary and Mary with muppets thrown in, which is awesome. To the non-fan who sees it- again might be confusing but I don't think necessarily off-putting

And now my comment about the fart shoes: To everyone freaking out about it: GET OVER IT!!!! Holy cow it's the most mildest fart joke ever! IT's Fozzie trying to be clever and funny and cute, there is nothing wrong with it and it's funny. Fart jokes are a kid appeal- every kid laughs at fart jokes and for the most part they are harmless. You know what Fozzie, if you want to wear fart shoes and say they are fart shoes, go right ahead! There are so many other things that are distuburing in family entertainment these days that we should be thankful that it's not in the movie and there is even other stuff in the trailer that seems like it would be more disturbing, like that Piggy look alike in that bustier thing?! I'm surprise no one freaked out about that. Whew, got that off my chest...moving right along...

Definitely intrigued by the Moopets group. The rowlf character looks downright scary and Fozzie looking like Ice-T kind of freaks me out a bit. Totally interested to see what their impact will be throughout the movie... Not sure what the fight scene with all the people in the bath robes is about but I love the fencing scene with Bobo- totally classic Bobo!

and now the gate, OMG the gate. I think my voice rose three octaves when I say the K&P on the gate. ooh so many inferences....So they lived together or used to live together in a huge hollywood mansion eh? Like Beauregard said earlier on here, maybe the MTM marriage was real...Oh...My...Frog!!! Craziness- I'm am so excited to see what this is all about, I'm dying with anticipation!

Loved Walter in this scene! His gutsy, "throw me over" was so cute. I do think the electrocution thing might have went on a bit long but I wasn't really disturbed by it. Come on!!! I can imagine Beaker reading some of these comments on here that the Walter frying on the fence was soo harsh and stuff and him pointing at the screen and wanting to Meep your heads off- cartoon violence is a muppet classic, characters get blown up and stuff all the town- Welcome to the Muppet family Walter!

Kind of confused by the Adventure tagline since the scene right after it is more about romance..and OMG ROMANCE!!!!! Kermit's line definitely caught me by surprise at how genuine it sounded and I definitely had the waterworks going at about the fifth time I watched the trailer. Everytime I hear it, I day dream that Kermit says, "and I'd like to be that one person" USH-GUSH!!! I love it, love it, love it! So very excited to see some new Kermit-Piggy romance dynamic going on and by the looks of all the flashback and other stuff from the trailer, there seems like there will be a good bit of it- FINALLY! Also I love Piggy's traditional jump on Kermit reaction at the Paris Vogue office- classic, timeless, Muppety!

The whole Kermit, motivational stuff- another tear-jerker and it seems so perfect for a Muppet movie! My one concern about Kermit is that in the small clips that we've seen it seems like Kermit is dealing with a lot of heavy stuff (and I DON'T mean Piggy), like heavy emotional stuff and he seems kind of meek and sad a lot of the time. Every time I see him on screen he looks so depressing! I really hope that like with Piggy, we get to see the fun, witty, teasing side of Kermit and that he is more outgoing than what he has been on recent projects. If he is like what he was at the Pirates red carpet appearance, then I would feel better. Cheer up Kermit!!

Rowlf playing piano definitely made me smile bigger than what I have smiled in a long time! Love the music during this sequence too. The whole like "Mighty Ducks" triumphant fight music is definitely moving!

The driving bit was funny-perfect example of Segel's goofy smile. I wasn't sure why they did a shot of the radio for so long but the mahna mahna music was funny and having floyd say the bigger car line was perfect! Don't understand why Gonzo looks like he is crouched so low on the front seat.

Loved the, "There's no movie like a muppet movie"

Don't understand why Piggy is banging her head on the desk, but that, the way everyone is looking at her and her comment afterwards is hilarious!

Absolutely LOVE the ending with Scooter and the other muppets in the whole "clean up segment with 80's montage music". I downloaded that song right after I saw the trailer and I've been rocking out to it ever since! I also love how Scooter is back in the spotlight for a little bit.

Love all the classic characters we see and a lot of the random ones from Muppets Tonight.

As you can probably tell, overall i LOVED this trailer! I think it was really catered to the hard-core muppet fans and also fairweather fans who like the Muppet Show and that's awesome.

That being said, I'm not sure how someone who is not a fan or who doesn't know the Muppets would take this trailer. I'm definitely way too biased to evaluate it that way so I would really like to hear what non muppet fans thought about it and whether they plan on seeing the movie. Overall I think the spoof trailers did more to get the non-muppet fans intrigued and wanting to see the movie, but this trailer was for us and I love that. It really makes me feel like they put a lot of work in making the movie awesome for us fans by putting tons of obscure references in it and everything- I'm just so excited for this movie. I'm a little worried that it might be too early and the appeal and excitement will wear off a little too much before November, but I'm sure Disney has a bunch of other great stuff up their sleeves to promote the movie.

I will always remember my b-day week because of this trailer. It came out the day after my b-day and I will never forget all this awesome excitement and anticipation for this movie and the buzz and happiness between the fans! It's so great and we are all so ready for the comeback- I'm totally ready for Muppet Domination so bring it on!!!

beaker

Reaction score
Just watched the big 1080p blu ray version of the trailer, and the Muffins definitely look goose bump inducingly amazing and vibrant.

So I see what the narrative theme is with this trailer, I just have many issues with the scenes chosen/context/etc. I get the whole "weve gone our ways/lost our way/but its time to light the lights again" opening...but so much of the trailer, what the frackle is going on? The fight scenes, the Moopets, the horrid fantasy sequence...if I was a casual viewer I might not be all too enthused.

And this is unfortunate, as I really think another trailer editor could have cobbled together a truly magnificant trailer that would make people be in awe.

The time wasted on the long electrocution scene and the pointless "THERE WILL BE..."
title cards could have been wayyy better used.

Also, I know Im the first to say this...but I don't know about the director/cinematography. I suggested Spike Jonze in 2002 and a number of other directors, but again I'll just have to wait and see. I just remember being super excited by MFS and feeling my intelligence insulted. The Muppet Movie works because the film unfolds organically...sadly in 2011, you cant make a film like that without being a "boring art film".

Im sorry if Im the only one on here disliking the trailer, but Im hoping the final product delivers...and hey...

Maybe a fan out there can cobble together footage from all four trailers/teasers and make the trailer THIS should have been?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
And now my comment about the fart shoes: To everyone freaking out about it: GET OVER IT!!!! Holy cow it's the most mildest fart joke ever! IT's Fozzie trying to be clever and funny and cute, there is nothing wrong with it and it's funny. Fart jokes are a kid appeal- every kid laughs at fart jokes and for the most part they are harmless. You know what Fozzie, if you want to wear fart shoes and say they are fart shoes, go right ahead! There are so many other things that are distuburing in family entertainment these days that we should be thankful that it's not in the movie and there is even other stuff in the trailer that seems like it would be more disturbing, like that Piggy look alike in that bustier thing?! I'm surprise no one freaked out about that. Whew, got that off my chest...moving right along...
I agree with most of what you said.

That's exactly why they shouldn't do it. Fart jokes are cheap and the Muppets have never needed to pander before! I'm pretty much over it. I do hope they lose the word, but keep the joke. I think it's funnier letting the shoes say it all rather than Fozzie having to explain it. Kids will get it and jokes in general are funnier that way. I think this portion has been over-analyzed. It's still a cheap gag any way you look at it, but it doesn't have to come off so crude and I think that's the problem people here are having. :oops:

The pig in the frock is classic humor that does seem Muppety. I certainly don't think your remark about her/him was intended to be homophobic, but I don't see why else anyone would be offended by that character in what we've seen so far. Otherwise, I'm 99% in agreement with the rest of your comments. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
  1. Fozzie using the word “fart”. The gag works without it.
Agree, they just needed to have kermit do the line about no cheap gimmicks, then Fozzie comes into shot bouncing around on his "whoopee shoes", and shot cuts back to kermit looking disgusted. Would work perfectly!

I really like the Moppets too. Not that i dislike the Walter being thrown at the fence, or the fencing or the Segal fantasy sequence ... but in a short trailer maybe there were better things that could have been shown to actually get the story over.

Isnt it great having Scooter truly back in the main Muppet fold what with this and VMX and LTS, love it!

Drtooth

Reaction score
(....)​
When you finally see Muppet legs, they never quite look right. Fozzie seems almost a couple inches taller than he should seem... but it's not quite the shock I had when i first saw Telly's exceedingly short legs that looked like they came out of his stomach!

So I see what the narrative theme is with this trailer, I just have many issues with the scenes chosen/context/etc. I get the whole "weve gone our ways/lost our way/but its time to light the lights again" opening...but so much of the trailer, what the frackle is going on? The fight scenes, the Moopets, the horrid fantasy sequence...if I was a casual viewer I might not be all too enthused.

And this is unfortunate, as I really think another trailer editor could have cobbled together a truly magnificant trailer that would make people be in awe.

The time wasted on the long electrocution scene and the pointless "THERE WILL BE..."
title cards could have been wayyy better used.
I really think a lot of the footage was just unfortunate. The electric fence gag had no right to be in the trailer, and the fantasy romance sequence just throws the whole bit off. And the Moopet thing is now working without the context of the film. We kinda know what they are, we kinda know what's happening there because we've seen all these spoilers by now, but I don't think anyone more casual people are going to know what the heck's going on.

Seems like there was potential for a great trailer. The footage in the other trailers had me on the edge of my seat... there's just something about the way this trailer was put together... it's not even about the footage. Just... some things dragged on too long, some things were poorly paced, some things should have just been left as a surprise in the movie.

I have a LOT of faith in this project. The person who wrote this WANTED to write this and the person directing WANTED to direct. The actors WANT to be in the movie, and everything sounds great. MFS seemed like no one wanted to do it, and it turned out badly.

It seems a lot of us agree, the trailer SHOULD have had more polish to it. Even for what they were going for, even with the word fart.

Frogster

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird most of the other Muppet's looks have changed a lot over time but Beauregard has looked the same since GMC? lol

I'm so glad Rowlf and Scooter are main characters again. I loved seeing Rowlf at the piano.

BIGMuppetFan

Reaction score
Great, Official Trailer Breakdown!!!
Gets me even more excited if that's possible!!
PS. Its Me Anthony M. From Facebook!!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think this movie is really going to be the Muppets Comback Movie!

Nick22

Reaction score
Oh...my.....FROG! I am a million times more excited for this film now that I've seen this trailer! Holy..oh my gosh. I have no words! There are so many things I want to point out but I'm way to lazy to type them all!!