The Muppets Movie Reviews

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Clifford does not appear. Don't get your hopes up to high. It's possible he got cut... but I doubt it. Kevin probably didn't have time to go out and perform.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And I'd be surprised if they got Kevin Clash on set just to perform a non-speaking background role. I'll have to see if Muppet Wiki lists a source for Clash being in the movie.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I saw an article about the movie today (can't remember the website... The link's at the Tough Pigs forum) where an explanation is made regarding the empty arches. They mention that we get to see the backstage wall that we normally didn't on the show, and the fact that some arches are empty reflects that.

I don't know if this is really a "spoiler" but I'll mention something else that was brought up: It was said that some characters just didn't show up in time.
If you ever find the link to the article that says that again, please post it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If you ever find the link to the article that says that again, please post it.
Here's the link: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...ts-with-bobin-mckenzie-stoller-and-producers/

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but has a press kit been posted online? I've read some mentions of a press kit at Muppet Wiki, but when I searched for it I couldn't find it.

Oh, and if Muppet Wiki listed Kevin Clash as being in the film, he's no longer listed now.

flatlander

Reaction score
Saw the sneak preview last night. I had my hopes a bit too high - my less fanatic friends actually seemed to enjoy it more than me. I wish there were more online reviews so I could hear other opinions. I guess I'd put it as 5th favorite behind MM, GMC, MTM, and Christmas Carol.

The good:
- great first act; it really set the tone with the great song & fun characters
- 2nd tier Muppets got lots of screentime
- Cameos all felt fun & organic (unlike MFS)
- 'Muppet or a Man' was the most 'Flight of the Concord' song - very clever
- Nostalgia & shout outs to other movies
- Tex Richman was well-written and fun. His rap is so bizarre, but beautifully short (you'll see). Not sure it needed follow-the-bouncing ball lyrics, though.

The bad:
- 'Me Party' - they didn't seem to know what to do with Amy Adams so they gave her the most ridiculous song that's horribly staged. Piggy seems like an afterthought
- each of the original 3 movies had a Piggy & Kermit break-up and a reconciliation scene, each wonderfully done. The Paris Kermit & Piggy scene just doesn't work and there's a line of dialogue that made me gasp at how ridiculous it sounded coming from Kermit's mouth. Which leads me to...
- Frank Oz was right. For all they got right with the secondary characters, the main characters fall flat or feel out of character. I think the issue was that in all the other movies, the Muppets have no self-awareness of who they are in relation to the real world. They certainly have wonderful moments of self-realization like Kermit in the desert (MM) or Kermit shouting off the Empire State Building (MTM), but in The Muppets the whole last act seems to be trying to be that moment. But having it tied to a theater and money of all things seemed weird. That's one of the things I liked about Muppets from Space is that they were just living in the suburbs, doing their thing as a family.
- After the first act, everything with Gary, Mary & to some degree Walter was a distraction (with the exception of 'Muppet or a Man'). Walter has a big part at the end but it came out of nowhere.
- There were great laughs throughout - very funny laughs coming from odd places sometimes (Rowlf, Wayne & Wanda, Deadly & Bobo) but overall the movie seemed sadder than it should have been. Having just watched GMC, it's a laugh a minute between Gonzo, Fozzie, the other characters, and visual gags. But Gonzo was barely there and he wasn't given many jokes. No Rizzo - I don't even remember seeing him. Pepe has one scene. I even expected Statler & Waldorf to make jokes at the end but don't recall more than one line. I wonder if it was just hard to write so many jokes into it because it took the main plotline a bit too seriously.
- the finale changes the lyrics from the intro number - and not for the better.
- knowing that they had re-shoots makes me think they totally re-worked the ending. There are lots of shots in the trailer that aren't in the film (no Muppets in jail, no Jason Segel with the bowling pin on his head) and the extra plot scenes over the credits feel tacked on. I'm very curious about the DVD extras now

So I guess my walkaway is that I'll see it again, I'll buy it on DVD, & I'm glad it's out there but it missed some opportunities to really show who these characters are. If it truly is a reboot/re-introduction to the brand, then I'd say they took 3 steps forward and one step back.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Hmmm interesting. Well I'm reserving all thoughts/judgement until I see it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
- knowing that they had re-shoots makes me think they totally re-worked the ending. There are lots of shots in the trailer that aren't in the film (no Muppets in jail, no Jason Segel with the bowling pin on his head) and the extra plot scenes over the credits feel tacked on. I'm very curious about the DVD extras now.
Knowing the Wanda Sykes scene was cut, I wondered if it was just that part or the whole "muppets in jail" sequence was cut. The junior novel does include them going to jail, though.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
The bad:
- 'Me Party' - they didn't seem to know what to do with Amy Adams so they gave her the most ridiculous song that's horribly staged. Piggy seems like an afterthought
- each of the original 3 movies had a Piggy & Kermit break-up and a reconciliation scene, each wonderfully done. The Paris Kermit & Piggy scene just doesn't work and there's a line of dialogue that made me gasp at how ridiculous it sounded coming from Kermit's mouth. Which leads me to...
- Frank Oz was right. For all they got right with the secondary characters, the main characters fall flat or feel out of character. I think the issue was that in all the other movies, the Muppets have no self-awareness of who they are in relation to the real world. They certainly have wonderful moments of self-realization like Kermit in the desert (MM) or Kermit shouting off the Empire State Building (MTM), but in The Muppets the whole last act seems to be trying to be that moment. But having it tied to a theater and money of all things seemed weird. That's one of the things I liked about Muppets from Space is that they were just living in the suburbs, doing their thing as a family.
- After the first act, everything with Gary, Mary & to some degree Walter was a distraction (with the exception of 'Muppet or a Man'). Walter has a big part at the end but it came out of nowhere.
- There were great laughs throughout - very funny laughs coming from odd places sometimes (Rowlf, Wayne & Wanda, Deadly & Bobo) but overall the movie seemed sadder than it should have been. Having just watched GMC, it's a laugh a minute between Gonzo, Fozzie, the other characters, and visual gags. But Gonzo was barely there and he wasn't given many jokes. No Rizzo - I don't even remember seeing him. Pepe has one scene. I even expected Statler & Waldorf to make jokes at the end but don't recall more than one line. I wonder if it was just hard to write so many jokes into it because it took the main plotline a bit too seriously.
- the finale changes the lyrics from the intro number - and not for the better.
- knowing that they had re-shoots makes me think they totally re-worked the ending. There are lots of shots in the trailer that aren't in the film (no Muppets in jail, no Jason Segel with the bowling pin on his head) and the extra plot scenes over the credits feel tacked on. I'm very curious about the DVD extras now

So I guess my walkaway is that I'll see it again, I'll buy it on DVD, & I'm glad it's out there but it missed some opportunities to really show who these characters are. If it truly is a reboot/re-introduction to the brand, then I'd say they took 3 steps forward and one step back.
Uh-oh... :concern: