The Muppets Movie Reviews

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Here are some other Muppets that were missing (does anyone care about these people besides me?)
Robin
Rizzo
J.P.Gross
Gladys the Kitchen Lady

Something I had a question about..
Kermit doesn't own the theatre, J.P. Gross does and he wasn't in the movie

Randall Flagg

Reaction score
Not to be rude but there is also the possibility of not reading this thread. The people who have seen the film and have posted thoughts have tried to stay spoiler -free and I think they've done a pretty good job of that. I also understand there are those who want to know nothing about the film beforehand and I can respect that. That's awesome! But still there are people on the forum who have seen the film and want to share their thoughts on it. And you've got to respect that they have a right to do that and that they are doing their best to walk a middle ground.
Totally agree with you. Why would someone click on a thread called "The Muppets Movie Reviews" if they want to avoid reading reviews? I'm grateful that reviews ARE being posted, but if someone else prefers to avoid them, just stick to the other threads.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What's IAVMMCM?
IAVMMCM = It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.

I guess it's debatable if JP Gross really died (I think it's actually said that "scooter's uncle" left them the theater). In that movie, the theater becomes a historical landmark, and can't be torn down or changed. By that logic, Tex can't tear down the theater and drill for oil (would drilling for oil with the theater intact count as a violation?). Also, going by the junior novel and what all I've read online, I guess it can be assumed that the Muppets always owned the theater, perhaps with JP's role being created for the series but not really being owner in the movie's "real world" universe.

The Muppet Wiki page seems to list various credits, for performers, songs, cast, and "uncredited cameos". I wondered if it came from the press kit, but various "edit summaries" say they're according to credits. So am I to understand that somebody kept track of all the credits (wouldn't be too surprised)?

Some interesting things about the credits, as listed at Muppet Wiki: Although Prawncracker said that Miss Poogy and Foozie are the only Moopets to talk, the credits supposedly list all Moopets except for the Janice Moopet, though they are listed as "Fozzie Moopet", "Rowlf Moopet" (the junior novel calls him Roowlf), and "Kermit Moopet". It also says that Sweetums is performed by Matt Vogel; I would have thought David Rudman would perform him, since he took over as Scooter and Janice (then again, I should be surprised Rudman didn't perform Sweetums in Letters to Santa, his first appearance since Rudman took over as some of Hunt's characters). The credits listed there also list at least one classic Muppet who reportedly (in the thread about the first preview) has no lines (though that fan could have misremembered). There's a few minor characters who I knew have dialogue who seem to be credited that I was surprised by, though just because I don't expect them to get much dialogue doesn't mean they won't get much dialogue.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
IAVMMCM = It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.

I guess it's debatable if JP Gross really died (I think it's actually said that "scooter's uncle" left them the theater). In that movie, the theater becomes a historical landmark, and can't be torn down or changed. By that logic, Tex can't tear down the theater and drill for oil (would drilling for oil with the theater intact count as a violation?). Also, going by the junior novel and what all I've read online, I guess it can be assumed that the Muppets always owned the theater, perhaps with JP's role being created for the series but not really being owner in the movie's "real world" universe.

The Muppet Wiki page seems to list various credits, for performers, songs, cast, and "uncredited cameos". I wondered if it came from the press kit, but various "edit summaries" say they're according to credits. So am I to understand that somebody kept track of all the credits (wouldn't be too surprised)?

Some interesting things about the credits, as listed at Muppet Wiki: Although Prawncracker said that Miss Poogy and Foozie are the only Moopets to talk, the credits supposedly list all Moopets except for the Janice Moopet, though they are listed as "Fozzie Moopet", "Rowlf Moopet" (the junior novel calls him Roowlf), and "Kermit Moopet". It also says that Sweetums is performed by Matt Vogel; I would have thought David Rudman would perform him, since he took over as Scooter and Janice (then again, I should be surprised Rudman didn't perform Sweetums in Letters to Santa, his first appearance since Rudman took over as some of Hunt's characters). The credits listed there also list at least one classic Muppet who reportedly (in the thread about the first preview) has no lines (though that fan could have misremembered). There's a few minor characters who I knew have dialogue who seem to be credited that I was surprised by, though just because I don't expect them to get much dialogue doesn't mean they won't get much dialogue.
Miss Poogy and Foozie are the only Moopets that talk. I saw the movie last night. They don't even mention Miss Poogy's name. No one knew her (?) name.
The cameos were great although Jack Black was way more than a cameo, he basically starred in the movie. There are surprise cameos and they are great. There are some cameos that if you blink you'll miss. Keep an eye out for those.
But J.P never died in any Muppet movie, they could of had him there. I've got to watch It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (can you belive I haven't seen it?).
Robin's not in this movie either and Statler and Waldorf don't have amazing lines.
And I was very mad by what the Swedish Chef does at one point. At one point in the movie when all the Muppets get back together and go to the broken down theatre the Swedish Chef opens up the fridge and sees all the talking vegetables from the Muppet Show, then he just blows them up and kills all of them. (I was disgusted by that scene, I love those talking vegetables). But later some talking food is seen in Piggy's dressing room (so I don't know what's going on)

matleo

Reaction score
I had some other non-spoiler thoughts on the film. I thought I posted them but I guess not. Anyway....

1) I loved Beau's entrance into the film. Classic Muppet stuff. Overall there were quite a few Muppety gags, but this one was my favorite.

2) Someone posted that they didn't like the Paris scene. I actually did like that. In particular I liked that it made me think of Kermit in a different way. Not necessarily a bad way, but it shines a very unique light on him and you get a perspective that we've never had before.

3) I really liked when.....ok, this one's a spoiler so instead I'll say I liked how the third act begins. It's a way of using a classic Muppet character I'm kind of surprised has never really been done before. I'll post more on this next week.

4) One thing that bothered me was there were a few too many 'nods and winks' to them being in a movie. I know it's a staple of Muppet films and it usually gets the biggest laugh from me, but this one could have cut about half of them out.

matleo

Reaction score
. At one point in the movie when all the Muppets get back together and go to the broken down theatre the Swedish Chef opens up the fridge and sees all the talking vegetables from the Muppet Show, then he just blows them up and kills all of them. (I was disgusted by that scene, I love those talking vegetables). But later some talking food is seen in Piggy's dressing room (so I don't know what's going on)
It's spoiled food. They kind of flashed by it a little too quick to catch that it had gone bad but that's why he did it. I was expecting a joke about how it had gone bad and then have the food doing horrible things. That would have given Chef a reason to do what he did but again there's an instance where i think they kind of rushed a few things.

In regards to the Mooppets, I think that they all had 'principle puppeteers' that they are each credited for even though they don't necessarily speak. Like when Dave Goelz sometimes gets credited for Zoot in a production even though Zoot doesn't say anything. I remember seeing in the credits that Dave was 'Kermit Moopet'. I can't help but wonder if there might be deleted scenes where they had bigger roles too.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In regards to the Mooppets, I think that they all had 'principle puppeteers' that they are each credited for even though they don't necessarily speak. Like when Dave Goelz sometimes gets credited for Zoot in a production even though Zoot doesn't say anything.
The only productions I've seen that list Dave Goelz as Zoot are ones where he gets some dialogue. He didn't talk much in The Muppet Movie or Muppets Take Manhattan, but he did say something, and was credited in those (I do not yet know if he gets any dialogue in this movie).

matleo

Reaction score
I might have explained that badly.... It's more like when there's a scene focusing on the band and Zoot is there but doesn't have a line, the chances are 99.9% that it's Dave under there. Because it's his character. I think it's that kind of thing. Sully and Richard Hunt might be a better example.