The Muppets in Entertainment Weekly

Mykol Gantt

Reaction score
Next weeks issue of Entertainment Weekly (#683 on sale Monday) features a fantastic article about the Muppets return to prominence. It talks about the Henson Co. comeback campaign, the new $10 million dollar It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, and another in development TV movie for a yet-to-be determined network. Also included are brief interviews with Henson CEO Charles Rivkin, who says, "We've had more activity in the last six months than we've probably had in the last five years." Tom Martin, co-writer of the new NBC movie, explains that there were arguments about whether the movie should have a lot of heart or should it be funny. But the director, Kirk Thatcher, made a good point: He said, "Look, these Muppets have enoung heart. They may have too much. Let's just concentrate on funny.

Highlights to look forward to:
Scooter cage-dancing at a rave

a bit were Animal funnel-chugs eggnog

and the implication of frog-human romance!

One particular comment from Tom Martin is most poignant: "This could be the turnig point fot the Muppets. Otherwise, Kermit becomes Mickey, the symbol of a company rather than a viable character."

How true. It really is a fantastic article and with more goodies in it. It hits all good newsstands Monday.

Mykol

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks dude! I'll keep my eyes open for that!!

FOZ

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mykol Gantt

Highlights to look forward to:
and the implication of frog-human romance!
Mykol
Oh, well, THAT'S something to look forward to. Really, you'd think the Henson folk would have learned SOMETHING from the demise of "Greg the Bunny".

Those of you who were dismayed by some of the unsavory stuff on "Craig Kilborn" have LOTS be happy about, I'm sure.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
One thing the article mentions is the new Muppet Show premiering in the Fall.
I though that it was to premiere in March.???????

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by trekkie1701E
One thing the article mentions is the new Muppet Show premiering in the Fall.
I though that it was to premiere in March.???????
Very likely it's not going to premiere at all. All the commentary about the Fox show is mostly waffling. The Fox network is in no shape to do anything experimental - or foolish - in the near future. And any new Muppet show is definitely a long shot for success.

Now the Xmas movie is another matter. Because of nostalgia, it could do well. :smile: