The Muppets head for Oz

What do you think of the Muppet Wizard of Oz script?

• I like that it will be based on the book

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • I wish it was based on the movie

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • I wish they would do something original

Votes: 54 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luke

Reaction score
I don't know why i am doing this but that bastion of Muppety journalism - Jim Hill has a new article out on the whole 'Wizard Of Oz' thing. He does actually have a scoop that the Muppets will be appearing on the Jessica Simpson TV special - congrats to him - all the rest of the Oz and Muppets stuff are things that have been rumored elsewhere before. From what i understand, the movie was green-lit for ABC way before this week and has always been intended to go into production very soon (April originally) for air late this year but it's tabloid style writing, what can ya do?

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/articles/03192004.2.htm

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Luke said:
Jim Hill Article said:
Folks I spoke with earlier this week said that Disney executives have supposedly asked Frank and Hayes to create a number of cameo roles for additional human performers in their teleplay. With the hope that these cameos can then be filled by various performers from various ABC sitcoms.
Aw, man, geez!! Can we say "Hey, let's take a timeless tale and date it forever by adding in super-sorry cameos!" Won't they ever LEARN?! Hollywood, I mean. TMM did the cameos right, you take classic and timeless actors and put them in the film...the worst one in that movie that won't ever be remembered is Kojak.

It's also sad that we have to depend on a Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey tv special in order to determine if the ratings are good enough to bring in The Muppets--per the article. Who cares about Jessica Simpson or Nick Lachey? I don't, and the chances that I'll even see that special are slim to none, and that's not fair to determine the numbers on The Muppets depending on the fandom of Jessica and Nick.

Luke

Reaction score
....... and you just KNOW that Jessica and Nick will already have agreed cameo roles in the movie and will announce this during the Muppet appearance on their show so it gives all the Jessica/Nick fans who are watching soley for them a reason to also watch the Muppet movie at Thanksgiving.

It also means Henson and Disney both probably think using the Muppets as promotional tie-in pop culture characters like in "It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas" and all the adverts is working and they will continue to do it. Even it seems in a re-telling of a timeless classic with classic characters that are celebrating their 50th birthday. Which basically means from EMTV to Henson to Disney - nothing whatsoever has changed !

Ah, cross promotion is a wonderful if tacky thing .....

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
It's sort of sorry, but at least it seems Disney has some good plans after that.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It would seem Disney has good plans after that, but the way I understood it all it will depend on the ratings of the Muppets appearance on the Simpson/Lachey special.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I'm also in the mixed feeling crowd...as much as I love the fact that it is not just a cheap remake of the classic movie, I'm sad that it is a cheap remake of the book...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
We don't know yet if it's going to be a cheap remake yet or not! It might be good. I liked MCC and MTI, and since those films Steve's gotten better with Kermit's voice, so it adds up for more enjoyment. I actually got excited about this movie a little earlier today, thinking about the Queen of the Field Mice--maybe all the mice being turned into Rats?

My only bad feelings is that Dizzy and ABC might be basing the popularity of the Muppets on the popularity of Simpson and Lachey. Blah on those two people. They're both easy on the eyes, but man are they A-NNOY-ING!

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
sorry to jump the gun, kev...for some reason, though...I just don't like it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
From my home here in 3004 I decline to say anything further on this subject matter: THE END