The Muppets head for Oz

What do you think of the Muppet Wizard of Oz script?

• I like that it will be based on the book

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • I wish it was based on the movie

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • I wish they would do something original

Votes: 54 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Daylight said:
All in all, I'd prefer something original, but it's good to get anything.

Is the book really different from the movie? I think it's good that it's going to be based on the book rather than the movie so it'll be something a bit different, but I'm not sure how they're going to completely avoid doing it like the movie considering how ingrained that movie is into our culture. I can just imagine all these people watching the new Muppet movie expecting it to be like the Wizard of Oz movie and being completely confused and disapointed when it's not.

It'll be great to have another Muppet movie, but I'm so worried that it's going to end up being really bad. :frown:
WARNING: Here be possible spoilers for the Oz books. Scroll past them if you do not want to be spoiled!

Well, the biggest difference between the book and the movie was that, in the book, Oz was not a dream Dorothy had after suffering a head injury. It was a real fairyland that she not only traveled to via cyclone but visited several times before moving there permanently. Another is that Glinda is the good witch of the South, not the North, and she doesn't play as big a role in the book as she does in the movie. And there are several events that take place in the book that are either not included or glossed over in the film.

-Kim

AFourFootPrune

Reaction score
a huge difference between the movie(s) and the book is the amount of violence. the wizard of oz has, on many occasions, been on lists consisting of the most violent books.

- kevin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Randlev said:
Any word on if it will be a musical or not? Or has Disney stopped making muppet musicals just like they've stopped animating them?
HA HA HA!!!

I bet I know what the future holds now with Disney:
What USED to be classic hand drawn animation will become CGI, and the Muppets will become hand drawn animation.

Firecat87

Reaction score
Well, It is heartening that they are writing the script from the book, rather than the original movie. But, I would much rather see the Muppets doing their OWN thing. While Muppet Christmas Carol and MTI were good, for the sheer fact that they had some good muppety moments, I far prefer the original productions- old and new. I feel the Muppets are better when they have the ability to do whatever they want, even if it doesn't make sense or carry the plot of the story.
Okay, end rant. :smirk:

mb22

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
No, in the original Oz series, there were several books by Baum about the Land of Oz (which was the title of the 3rd book, I believe; second book was Ozma of Oz {which combined with Land of Oz created the movie Return to Oz}). After Baum passed away, the publisher hired Ruth Plumley Thompson to continue the series: today, there are altogether 40 "official" Oz books.
Actually, LAND OF OZ (aka THE MARVELOUS LAND OF OZ) was book #2, and OZMA OF OZ, #3. Anyone interested in all things Oz is urged to check out the FAQ at http://www.eskimo.com/~tiktok/ozfaq.html . And it's not surprising that this production will be based on the book, as it's been in public domain since 1956, while the MGM film is still very much under copyright and it would cost a nice penny to use it as the basis for the film (of course, if Time Warner, the current MGM OZ owners, had bought the Muppets, it would be different..).

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited for this especially if Pepe is featured in it. Hopefully Piggy won't be too mad when she finds out she's not Dorothy....or have the roles even been decided?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
mb22 said:
Actually, LAND OF OZ (aka THE MARVELOUS LAND OF OZ) was book #2, and OZMA OF OZ, #3.
Thanks; I have all this posted in a different thread at General Discussion (for 'just Oz' stuff, not Muppet Oz stuff) but was too lazy to flip back over to look at it! LOL!! :embarrassed: *hey, who's throwin' tomatoes?*

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the news that it will be based on the book, and not directly on the movie, though I'd be surprised if there weren't a few satirical nods to the movie, since the whole world knows it so well.

beaker

Reaction score
Yay! It makes me overjoyed seeing that not only has Disney bought the muppets from JHC, but that the Muppets are headed in the right forward edgy direction with this production! Woot for entropy!