The Muppets have a table read for the new "Greatest" Muppet movie

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Collider states:

* They had a table read a few days ago and they start filming this September
* They wrote in a ton of cameos and he said it breaks the fourth wall every five minutes
* Compared the tone to the original Muppet movies
* Filming in Los Angeles. Thinks it’s a 6 or 8 week shoot
* To accommodate Jason Segal and his work on How I Met Your Mother, he’ll shoot HIMYM 3 or 4 days a week and the other days will be on the Muppet movie. They will film on weekends.
* Calls The Muppets a “comedy gateway-drug”

So basically, this thing is probably set to shoot very soon! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The table read alone gave me faith that they're actually seeing this through. But they seem to have a real contingency plan, right down to filming so Jason is still working on his high rated (and excellent) sitcom. Of course... the table read means they could easily change a couple things in the script here and there, right?

Lil0Vampy

Reaction score
WHEEEE! *flails, bounces off walls, and finally falls over* OMGOMG. It's rully happening, it's not just a maybe anymore! OMGOMG. And Uncle Deadly! AND PROBABLY LIPS! (well, he WAS in Christmas in Rockafeller Center!)! >:3 my family KNOWS I'm dragging them to see it 12 times...:big_grin: WOOO!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Now is the time where we need to start getting others around us excited about this movie. Start a huge buzz even before they start filiming.

Dearth

Reaction score
Okay, for the most part I am glad that things finally seem to be moving forward on a new theatrical Muppet film.

But, I just want to go on record that the 'gateway drug' quip really rubs me the wrong way. Having never done drugs personally, yet carrying the pain every day of having failed to save a friend from her self-destructive drug addictions, I have come to depend on the Muppets and the people who are responsible for them for a safe haven from the brutal realities of my life. Hearing them casually toss around that term for the sake of a cheap gag, I find it insensitive at the least and socially irresponsible at the best.

Okay, hopping down off my soapbox, I wouldn't make much of the reference to Uncle Deadly. I think that was being given as a conversational example of someone's character knowledge, and as such may not accurately reflect the final script nor film. What I mean is, when the film comes out, don't let Uncle Deadly's possible absence take you out of enjoying the movie on its own merits.

And finally, I've seen several Muppet table reads where they did NOT have their puppets with them [the Muppet Show's 'Pillage idiot' clip of Jim breaking up on the line "blundered his plundering", plus some time lapse footage and other shots for It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie], so I think the one they recently shot is likely to be another tongue-in-cheek 'production' which shows us the puppets backstage rather than the performers. Those are well and good, but I'd personally rather see more documentaries of these talented performers honing their craft.

Dearth

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay, for the most part I am glad that things finally seem to be moving forward on a new theatrical Muppet film.

But, I just want to go on record that the 'gateway drug' quip really rubs me the wrong way. Having never done drugs personally, yet carrying the pain every day of having failed to save a friend from her self-destructive drug addictions, I have come to depend on the Muppets and the people who are responsible for them for a safe haven from the brutal realities of my life. Hearing them casually toss around that term for the sake of a cheap gag, I find it insensitive at the least and socially irresponsible at the best.

Okay, hopping down off my soapbox, I wouldn't make much of the reference to Uncle Deadly. I think that was being given as a conversational example of someone's character knowledge, and as such may not accurately reflect the final script nor film. What I mean is, when the film comes out, don't let Uncle Deadly's possible absence take you out of enjoying the movie on its own merits.

And finally, I've seen several Muppet table reads where they did NOT have their puppets with them [the Muppet Show's 'Pillage idiot' clip of Jim breaking up on the line "blundered his plundering", plus some time lapse footage and other shots for It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie], so I think the one they recently shot is likely to be another tongue-in-cheek 'production' which shows us the puppets backstage rather than the performers. Those are well and good, but I'd personally rather see more documentaries of these talented performers honing their craft.

Dearth
I understand the dangers of substance abuse, but think you're taking that statement way too much to heart. The Mayhem have always made clever drug references here and there. From the mentions of "organic refreshments" and "skipping a groove" to the band members' demeanor (not to mention Floyd's eyes). :sing: Basically they were relating the Muppets to weed. Not my favorite thing in the world to hear, but I get that it's coming from a good place. Sure, the Muppets aren't hard-edged, but they're not goody-goods either. The sarcasm fits. :cool: I never want the Muppets to walk on eggshells. That kind of pasteurized behavior is what provided the hollow nature of Muppets From Space when compared to the better, more classic pictures. They seem to be in good hands.

I'm still holding out for Uncle Deadly and the obscures. I hope it happens. That would be amazing.

matleo

Reaction score
I never want the Muppets to walk on eggshells. That kind of pasteurized behavior is what provided the hollow nature of Muppets From Space when compared to the better, more classic pictures.
Agreed 100% as well as other projects like Kermit's Swamp Years, Studio DC and many others.

I'm still holding out for Uncle Deadly and the obscures.

Uncle Deadly and the Obscures? Didn't they open for The Ramones at Madison Square Garden once?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never want the Muppets to walk on eggshells. That kind of pasteurized behavior is what provided the hollow nature of Muppets From Space when compared to the better, more classic pictures. They seem to be in good hands.
Of course, we don't want them to make anything too jaded, either. After all, MupOz just tried way too hard to get an adult audience the same way VMX was successful with. But since we're referring to an off the cuff statement about how relatable the Muppets are to a mass audience, that's really not much concern.

I felt that MFS was very watered down, and I beg for the day the original Joey Mazzarino screenplay gets leaked online somewhere. I want to see how much damage the director did to the film, and how it could have been.

Luckily we seem to be getting a director who's can gel with the script, and won't monkey around with it.