"The Muppets" first preview screening

Oscarfan

Reaction score
You already know Clifford's in the movie. Kevin Clash said so, remember?
Well, his scene may have been edited out. Hiho2themuppets said the "I'm a Muppet" gag wasn't part of the screening, so not everything we heard was in the movie. Who knows, maybe they'll be put back in; we'll just have to wait for the final product.

hiho2themuppets

Reaction score
1. I had become worried from the full length trailer at the rather surreal over the top goofy nature of Segal's character and the Segal/Adams love interest. I expect fourth wall breakage, but something about some of the tone struck me as a bit too slapstick. (The first Muppet films were full of slapstick but seemed more rooted in the real world)
Just wondering if Segal brings way too much unbelievable goofyness that takes one out of the movie?
The bits of Jason Segel used in the main trailer are all cuts the most energetic seconds he has in the movie. He's not actually that goofy, as they leave that to the Muppets.
As slapstick as it seems, it's really not as it is in the movie.
3. Did you notice a good deal of easter eggs/things that hardcore fans will pick up and be
giddy about?(either visual or mentioned references)
Yes.

4. Are Walter, 80's Robot and "The Moopets" the only new characters you noticed?
Walter and the 80's robot are the only new Muppet characters I saw.

5. Finally, with the plot device of Walter as a rabid fan...without going too spoilery, do they kind of mirror his antics on things some of us have been known to do?(ie: Going on Muppet fan blogs or forums, arguing in Aint it Cool News talk backs, bidding for rare stuff on ebay, facebook wall posts with Muppet videos or posts, youtube, etc)?
Walter is just more of an average, wholesome, grew-up-watching-The-Muppets-on-TV kind of fan.

hiho2themuppets

Reaction score
(jaw drops) Thanks so much for posting all this, hiho! (Indeed, welcome to the forum!) I was just wondering when Disney would have a preview screening.
Any time, and thank you! It was a great movie, and I'm glad I'm lowering some people's shoulders.

Also, you said this movie is second to TMM in your opinion. Would you mind ranking the other movies so we can get a better sense of your taste?
For me, my Muppet-ranking would start with The Muppet Movie, The Muppets Take Manhattan, The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Great Muppet Caper, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets from Space, Very Merry Muppet Movie, and then Muppets Wizard of Oz.

TheAnimaniac

Reaction score
Was it well written? How did the older characters like Thog and Uncle Deadly do?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Are there any specific references to past Muppet productions or any hidden gems like that? Do we perhaps see actual The Muppet Show footage playing on a TV or something?

TSSD

Reaction score
I have three questions.
1. Is Rizzo in the movie at all? If so, how big a part does he have
2. Is the fart shoes gag presented as it was in the trailer, mentioned as low humor that the Muppets shouldn't stoop to?
3. Are there any other moments of "Potty Humor"

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, hiho! Your breakdown of the film rankings is very similar to mine, which gives me even more reason to be excited. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Muppets that get their own scenes are Fozzy, Gonzo, Miss Piggy, Animal, Bunsen & Beaker, Rowlf, and the rest is montaged.
So I guess that means the rest of the band wasn't with Animal when the Muppets get back together. Sigh.

The Electric Mayhem was perfect. Unfortunately I don't remember Janice having any lines.
You could just be misremembering, but if Janice doesn't have any lines, then I think it's odd they chose to make a Moopet resembling Janice (I already thought it was odd Janice had a Moopet counterpart without the rest of the band included).

Do all of the Moopets have names? I saw a Moopets t-shirt which was a gift to the cast and crew, and it depicted a human among the group. Do you know who this human was supposed to represent (Jim Henson? Sweetums? A guest star?)?

I wrote an article for The Muppet Mindset recently listing characters I want to see in the film who haven't been spotted in the trailers (Ryan Dosier added a few to my list). My list is here: http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2011/07/muppets-not-in-muppets-trailers.html Do you remember if any of the characters in that list appear in the film?

I assume that Steve Whitmire performed Link, Matt Vogel performed Dr. Strangepork, and David Rudman performed Wayne, but do you happen to know who performed Wanda in this movie?

Finally, were there any scenes with so many characters that it was hard to spot everyone in just one viewing?

I must say, with you joining the forum right after seeing the movie before the rest of us, I figure this thread'll help you reach 100 posts soon (not sure if that's a goal of yours).

dwmckim

Reaction score
The Electric Mayhem was perfect. Unfortunately I don't remember Janice having any lines.
Interesting. I read an early draft of the script and one thing i was struck by was that draft seemed to have a lot of Janice lines in comparion to the rest of the band (not counting Animal)

I know you mentioned it regards to Jason/Amy that the film is indeed the Muppets' movie but still were there any parts where you felt it got a little human-heavy? One of the biggest weaknesses of the Sept 09 draft was that the first 10-15 minutes were mostly Walter/Gary/Mary with no actual Muppet sighting (save for photographs and the like) til about 15 minutes in - did this aspect of the beginning get fixed?