The Muppets are getting worse

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
:grouchy: i could'nt bring myself to watch Very merry muppet christmas movie or Muppet oz, and when i got Kermits swap years for xmas, man was dissapointed:boo:

Marky

Reaction score
I thought that the "It's a Very Merry..." was not too bad. The problem with most of the recent stuff is the abscence of Frank Oz, in my opinion. It's all become too typically American now. I had a bad feeling about Oz as soon as I saw the cover for it. Some no-name r&b singer for Dorothy???

The Muppets are only dead as long as it's artisitc decisions are filtered though focus-group research and marketing execs.

Marky

Reaction score
Um, they did. To Yankee-Doolde Disney.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Steve, Dave, Kevin, Jerry Nelson. They are all still there. Granted, Frank has pretty much left the Muppets, and Jerry isn't there all the time. Richard and Jim are dead, sadly...but I don't believe they're gone.

They're just trying to find ground again, in this new wave of fans. Have you seen how well TMS Season 1 and FR Season 1 have sold?

They're starting up a new Fraggle Rock movie, they're planning to start a new series, (granted it's patterning after American Idol of course.) But knowing them, I have heart in what their doing.

They might have sold the Marketing Rights, but not the dream. They still own those muppets. It's.....it's kinda like in "It's a Very Merry" although they don't own the theater anymore, it's a historical landmark.

They will never go away. They just have to find their ground that's all. And I believe in them. And what they do as well.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Now /that/ is optimism. But that's good. I didn't know Steve was still workin for em, but I guess I never really heard that he wasn't. That's good.

Marky

Reaction score
Kevin Clash??? Pfft.

Frank Oz is/was the whole essence about what I loved about the Muppets (not take away the whole "Jim created the whole she-bang and hois characters are all awesome. He died, Frank didn't).

What's his name does a pretty good Piggy, and a so-so Fozzie, but it ain't Frank!

Only one Frank Oz, there is.

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
They're just trying to find ground again, in this new wave of fans. Have you seen how well TMS Season 1 and FR Season 1 have sold?

MMm, well said rennee, but i think it is best letting new fans get in to the proper stuff, the Muppet show, the original fraggle rock series, the original sesame street programs etc, the reason the muppets were so good and the legend of them still is, is because of five puppeteers called Jim, Dave, frank, Richard and jerry, and because of one superb writer Jerry Juhl, and because of some great puppet maker, Don Sahlin, Bonnie Erikson etc, their the people that made the muppets what they are, their the people who were the cause for this website, for the exsiistance of muppet fans every where, they are the real muppet creators, lets not let any other people spol that by making crappy new movies and characters

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Maybe they should make, like, a gimundo Muppet documentary with all the stuff in it. Not with, like, people that pretend to be the Muppeteers and have this big drama thing or whatever, cause I've seen that with other things and it's just turned out crappy. But maybe they take all the documentaries made i.e. Muppets and Men or Down at Fraggle Rock, get some new interviews, get some excerpts from all those Muppet books, and make a nice little Henson Comapny retrospective. I think that might teach the new wave of fans a little thing or two. Just un idea. :wink:

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Marky said:
Kevin Clash??? Pfft.

Frank Oz is/was the whole essence about what I loved about the Muppets (not take away the whole "Jim created the whole she-bang and hois characters are all awesome. He died, Frank didn't).

What's his name does a pretty good Piggy, and a so-so Fozzie, but it ain't Frank!

Only one Frank Oz, there is.
Kevin Clash in my mind is considered one of the main puppeters, he's like Steve Whitmire, he was there from the late 70's on. It's just most times when people think "Kevin Clash" first thing to mind is...ugh...Elmo.

Eric Jacobson does a great Piggy and Fozzie! Yes, sometimes Fozzie sounds like Piggy and vice-versa, but it's great I think.

Not trying to make an arguement or anything but yeah.