The MuppetCast - Show #84 - An Emergency, An Invasion, and a Box Set

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Hey everybodeeee! The new MuppetCast is online, and boy is it a doozie. Or is that, a dooz-er? I dunno, you tell me.

Three main things going on in this episode: some coverage of the recent Muppet Whatnot "takeover" on the TODAY show (from this past Thursday Nov 13), a review of the new Sesame Street initiative "Let's Get Ready", and some commentary and my very first look at the new Fraggle Rock Complete Series box set. I wanted to save the experience of opening this so I could do it live on the show, and what you'll hear are my unfiltered reactions to seeing the material in the box (and the new special features). It's kind of experimental, but that just means there's more chance of something going wrong. Yay!

Oh! Before I forget, stay tuned next week to the show to hear Lylle Breier, the General Manager of Disney's Muppets Studio. This is an amazing opportunity for the show, and I'm honored to welcome her as my guest. It doesn't get any higher up the chain in the Muppet universe than Ms. Breier, so this is going to be great!

Keep everyone threatened by the fires in California in your thoughts and prayers.

Let me know what you thought of this episode. I did a few things differently than normal, and I'll be interested to know how much of it was obvious :smile:

Have a good one.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow Steve i will listen to the show latter tonight and share my thoughts. I can't wait however to hear next weeks show! That sounds really cool.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Hi Steve, great show, as always.
You sent him me singing Bein' Green. Thanks for playing it Steve. Take that Dumb Dog.
Awwww. :sympathy:
Its ok, Dumb Dog, you'll get your 15 seconds of fame one day.
If people want to watch the full version, I'll give you the link.
Colby Sings: Bein' Green

Luke

Reaction score
My god, Lylle Brier. Steve, if you haven't recorded it yet, ask her about Muppetfest - she's a event organiser pro at disney isnt she. Well done!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Steve i loved the show! I really love how you help suport Sesame Street with all that they do, I think that is really nice. I also loved the FR review. You where so honest about it, and it really made for a good listen. I may even buy it thanks to the review!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Just finished listening to this week's show.

Thoughts.
1 Steve, could you please post all Muppet Trivia questions you've used? I think I'm a perfect 8 of 8 so far, just wanna check.
2 Rully hate that catching up with booting spammers from the forum made me miss the Today Show Takeover. But after hearing it and reading through Muppet Wiki's recap, it sounds like it was a great Muppet TV moment. BTW: Found it funny that Meredith Vieira's last name—if that's how it's correctly spelled—is the Spanish word for "scallops". Mmm. :hungry:
3 As for Sesame's Let's Get Ready DVD/booklet... Interesting stuff. So De Las Cuevas is now Rosita's family's official last name? Funny when you consider she was originally named "Rosita, La Monstrua de las Cuevas". Also, in the Spanish transliteration of the booklet, did they go with "Grover" or did they name him as "Archibaldo"?
4 The FR Complete Set... Rully pleased with how you presented the review. There have been complaints of getting sets with scratched discs, though the MC review mentioned this was why the new packaging was created, to help prevent such incidences. Also... The fact they labelled the discs from 1 to 20 inside the binder, yet each disc is properly labelled according to season, might that be some hope that a separate Season 4 could be released in the future? Especially considering that the bonus features discs from the previous three seasons were kept intact in this complete collection? And another thing that makes me a bit wary of getting the complete set at this moment... Are the extra packaged bonuses like the FR bible or Michael Frith sketches from the previous sets included? Don't think so... Not sure about making this purchase right now, though I only bought the first two season sets. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Take care Steve... Very interested to hear this week's episode.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Glad people liked the Fraggle Rock box set segment; I really wanted that to come out the right way, and it sounds like it did. What would you guys think of a four-part series covering the seasons of FR? Maybe giving a little more attention and commentary for each season?

By the way Count, the non-DVD extra material (Michael Frith drawings, etc.) was not included with this box set.

I don't think I have most of the Muppet Trivia questions anymore. I generally type them out for the week's show, but once I'm working on the next show those old papers get thrown away. Anyone who wants to listen back through the shows and see about transcribing those is welcome to :smile:

I talked with Ms. Breier on Wednesday, and with David Stephens (Emmet Otter musical) and Michael Davis (Street Gang Book) on Thursday. As you can imagine, they were all awesome. And I might even get some behind-the-scenes footage of Sesame Street Live's "Elmo Grows Up", since it's in town this weekend and at least one of the performers is a MuppetCast listener. We'll see!

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Hey Steve, are those OTHER guests still being lined up, or are we waiting for a certain singer's European tour to end? :wink:

BJ

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, that's what I thought.

BTW: BJ, noticed you joined an FB group for another podcast I particularly enjoy and contribute to as an avid listener. Which leads me to ask... Are you going to join the IPLS' ranks?
This is open to anyone who listens to the Disney Pincast. Check out their forums or message me to get the info.
Proud IPLS Member #2.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Which one, Ed? I've joined a couple of groups, namely relating to the Nosillacast, WDW Radio, etc.

And no, I don't particularly plan on joining the IPLS ranks.

BJ