The Muppet Movie/ Oz??

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
OK, I read somewhere that the Muppet Movie was based on the MGM movie "The Wizard of Oz." And after considering the facts...

• Opening number about rainbows
  • Meeting loads of new friends on the way to making his dream come true
There are a few similarities between the two. So is it just co-incidence or is TMM based on Wizard of Oz?

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
DanDanStrawberry said:
OK, I read somewhere that the Muppet Movie was based on the MGM movie "The Wizard of Oz." And after considering the facts...

• Opening number about rainbows
  • Meeting loads of new friends on the way to making his dream come true
There are a few similarities between the two. So is it just co-incidence or is TMM based on Wizard of Oz?
Wow, I never even thought of it that way before, but it kinda makes sense now that you mention it. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that's where Jim got his inspiration for the movie, if nothing else.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
if you watch TMM and listen to Led Zeplion "the Wall" man it's great

j/k

BEAR

Reaction score
Interesting. Where did you read this? I guess those things are similar. I see it more as a Cinderella story. Average frog from a midwestern swamp who dreams of becoming big in Hollywood.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
There are definite similarities in story structure as you pointed out. And certainly the opening line of "Rainbow Connection" (Why are there so many songs about rainbows / And what's on the other side?) is a direct reference to "Over the Rainbow". But I wouldn't actually say it was "based on" Wizard of Oz.

Just my 2¢ <---- Hey! Does anybody still use that symbol?? :smile:

:stick_out_tongue:

BEAR

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
There are definite similarities in story structure as you pointed out. And certainly the opening line of "Rainbow Connection" (Why are there so many songs about rainbows / And what's on the other side?) is a direct reference to "Over the Rainbow". But I wouldn't actually say it was "based on" Wizard of Oz.

Just my 2¢ <---- Hey! Does anybody still use that symbol?? :smile:

:stick_out_tongue:
I don't have that symbol on my keyboard.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Hm... never really thought about TMM as being based on MGM's Wizard of Oz. I don't think it is, although it does have some parallels... hm. Interesting.

Was Once Ernie said:
Just my 2¢ <---- Hey! Does anybody still use that symbol??
I use it! Well, at least, I used to use it, and the other day I was thinking "gosh I never use that anymore" so I used it a couple times in my notes. It's really a very nice symbol... <blink> Er, yeah. But you know, I never noticed that it's not on the keyboard! What a pity.