The Muppet Movie: Crummy 18 minute Super 8 version

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Doc Hopper does show up in the Super 8 version, during the balloons sequence.

Last night I read that Disney released Super 8 versions of its films, but they were single scenes from the movies, instead of including a little bit of various scenes from start-to-finish. So was it common for Super 8 releases to be both types of edits (a longer "highlight reel" and a mere clip)?

That format might have been better for The Muppet Movie on Super 8. Like "Kermit and Fozzie Meet The Electric Mayhem", "Gonzo on Balloons", "Kermit at the El Sleezo", etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, he's there, and so isn't his billboard. But his plot has been removed from the movie. Shooting down Gonzo's balloons after getting hit with a pie is as far as his story goes, successfully removing any dramatic tension in the film.

Even when they're stranded in the desert, the tension is lost there because they're on a bus to Hollywood like a second later.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I was the one that posted the Super 8 print to YT some months:
http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/how-rare-is-a-super-8-version-of-tmm.43526/

I was actually rather surprised that ToughPigs expressed so much interest in it. It's bad, that goes without saying. It makes little to no sense, that also goes without saying. But hearing some of the alternate audio takes (for instance, unlike the movie, here there's no music playing in the bicycle scene) is kind of neat.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well it clearly is a Muppet movie there where hardly any humans in it at all.

I did try looking up releases of other titles on Super 8, and from what I could find it was mostly for the silent short, that where done back in the 30's and 40's. Now that may not be entirely correct, but that is all the info I cold find. If that is the case, then my only question would be. Why on earth would they put the Muppet Movie on super 8?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppets weren't the only ones to be completely edited down to incomprehensible for Super 8....

It isn't quite as terrible plotwise, but the editing is atrocious! It comes off like a Youtube Poop at points.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Have these ever caught on with anyone? I wonder if James Rolfe has any of these, seeing as he collects movies in various formats?

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I've re-uploaded the Super 8 cutdown for those who still want to see it.

Also an NTSC version of the theatrical trailer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Off topic, but I'm checking out the Flintstones one I posted again.

Highlights include:

Mr. Gruesome correcting no one saying "His name isn't Soapstone, it's FLINTstone."

Fred saying, "Must be[edit]WEEEEEEYOOOOOOOWWW!!!"

Wilma commenting on a strange looking chair that's never seen

Barney assuring Fred that deep down, he's a good guy for no apparent reason after Fred starts yelling at everyone for eating all the sandwiches that somehow were there.

And a huge array of characters getting cut off in mid-sen.....

...be awkwardly placed at the end of them.

And these were professionally done for sale.

I wonder how many other abominations in editing were available.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
And these were professionally done for sale.

I wonder how many other abominations in editing were available.
If I'm right, I believe they used the same silent subtitled version edit for the sound version as well, which is incredibly lazy...