The Muppet Movie: Crummy 18 minute Super 8 version

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh yeah I read that article last night. Well it's kinda interesting from a history of media standpoint!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lemme tell yah... this is pretty much the analogy I was looking for to describe watching Letters to Santa.

The film makes little sense at all, especially with the entire Doc Hopper plot completely gone. I especially like the whole Electric Mayhem scene being them introducing the band and then randomly changing the car... only to even more randomly buy a new one a second later.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
There is really no plot to this at all. They also cut out Sweetums story line, which I loved in the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was awful.
I feel sorry for anyone who bought the Super 8 and didn't actually see the movie before hand. Then again, I just want to know how many people actually bought Super 8 home movie versions of big movies. Something tells me, I feel sorry for like 2 people.

Even the Viewmaster reels kept the plot of the movie in there.

But anyone else notice how jarring the sequences where they removed the music track or worked from an early film print before music was added? Especially the sequence in "the Magic Store" where Beaker screws up Piggy's makeup and Kermit says "You're Beautiful."

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
This was posted a long time ago. I guess Toughpigs decided to bring it up again because of a slow news day.

It's pretty cool in a sense. Super 8's can't fit longer than 18mins worth of footage (I have no idea why anyone would even buy a Super 8 movie) so they had to chop it down pretty good.
The whole Doc Hopper story is completely missing, and the scenes have no connections. Other than that, there's a bunch of alternate scenes/shots included.
It's a cool piece of Muppet history.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
the one I noticed the most was Rowlf and Kermit's song. It was almost a whole different song with the same title.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The whole Doc Hopper story is completely missing, and the scenes have no connections. Other than that, there's a bunch of alternate scenes/shots included.
Too bad Disney didn't track down a copy... some of those alternate takes would have been something if they used them as bonus features on the Blu-Ray.

Makes you wonder what other films they cut down to 18 minutes. Still, I think they could have cut out some of the scenes they used and put some of the Doc Hopper storyline in there. As awesome as Gonzo flying around on balloons and celebrity cameos go, some of that stuff could have been replaced by the... well... PLOT. The Mel brooks segment makes absolutely no sense out of context.

Heck, the fact that Piggy didn't leave the Restaurant and Kermit was moping about with Rowlf for her not leaving comes out of no where.