The Muppet glory of the late 80's...

beaker

Reaction score
It is my contention...my humble opinion that the late 80's was JHC and the Muppets last great stand. This is my favorite period.
From the JHH, Sesame celebrates 20 years, Nightline, and
Muppets @WDW to MFXmas, Cosby episode, and other stuff of the era...I cant think of a cooler time Muppet wise. JHH is by far the edgiest thing I had ever seen Muppet wise, the format predating the modern MTV style editing. M@WDW and MFC is IMHO the best darn Muppet specials ever.

But then the 80's ended in the pre Summer of 1990. The innocence had ended, as parralelled by so many things in the world. 1989 was the last great year...nothing but all out sadness and destruction figuratively and reality would come soon.

I didnt even remember MCC hitting theatres, as everything was fudged beyond recognition by then. For all accounts, for 5 years Muppet passion for quite a few fans who had grown up on em, was near flatlined. This was not a good time to be a fan.

Then....It wasnt until around Xmas time of 1995 that I began to see hope. You see for over 5 years my Muppet passion was pretty low to non existent. That was when I picked up the December 1995 Muppet 40th annv of Variety. The whole issue was devoted to the Muppets. While in the early late 80's it was the discovery of TMS illustrated book that rekindled my passion, it was this issue that did it. Soon we had MTI(though disappointed, it was good to see em back on the big screen), Muppets Tonight, Muppets Inside PC(the best darn Muppet video game ever)
and what promised to be a renassaince of sorts.

That never happened of course. We soon saw small bursts of hope...the beginning of a third new franchise, Bear in the Big Blue House...and 1999 brough about two Muppet theatrical releases.

But it was an important time, as 1998 introduced me to the world of online Muppet fans. For years I had searched for pix, wavs, themes, stories, fan sites...but it was this site that really rekindled the fan passion in my mind. Which brings us to now.

I truly think we could be on the verge to begin where 1989 left off. If 2003 is any indication, the Muppets are poised to come back to where things left off...a time when the Muppets are no longer considered "nostalgic" but modern, timely.

The late 80's was a special time indeed, and I would truly love to see them back to where they were then and beyond. My hope is that the new show, can bring about the creative freshness JHH had along with a whole new approach, some classic TMS elements, and something new.