1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Matt Vogel Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by D'Snowth, Apr 25, 2012.

1. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

We have RHLC, SWAEHB, BBB, and other great threads dedicated to wonderful Muppeteers, but I think it's time that Matt Vogel got a thread for himself, because let's face it, not only is he an awesome performer, but he's had some pretty big shoes to fill, and has been doing an excellent job in doing so.

For over a decade now, he's been Caroll Spinney's understudy for Big Bird, and while admittedly I had difficulties adjusting to his Big Bird whenever he was used (I had thought his voice sounded a little like the transition between Caroll's original yokel accent and his current Big Bird voice), I certainly think he's proven himself to be a great candidate to keep Big Bird alive for many more years to come, and it's nice to know he's willing to do anything (though respectfully ask that Caroll continue to do any roller skating, which I don't doubt is nearly impossible).

Not only that, but I think The Muppets also did wonders for his accomplishments as well, basically having to take over all of Jerry Nelson's character, again, really big shoes to fill, because Jerry is so celebrated, and his characters are really beloved and familiar, but all things considered, I was really impressed at just how great Matt was as Floyd, Uncle Deadly, Camilla, and others... those are all really unique voices that are not easy to replicate, but he managed to pull it off, and if a sequel does indeed happen, I do hope he'll be on hand to continue to breathe new life in Jerry's characters.

So yeah, I say let's add Matt Vogel to the MC Hall of Fame, up there alongside Richard, and Steve, and Bill.
  2. Cindy Moderator

Besides all the things mentioned above, can I just add that he's a super nice guy? Thanks D'Snowth, he definitely deserves some recognition.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  3. Fersureitsjess Active Member

Yeah! Matt Vogel is awesome! :sing:
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  4. Hubert Well-Known Member

5. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Have you and/or Phil met or corresponded with him Cindy?

I've only read up on him, but I agree, he does seem like a really nice guy, I enjoyed his little bio in the recent 40 Years book, where he talks about being "the puppet geek" in school, lol. Who among us here at MC wasn't? :p
  6. Nasubionna Active Member

Yes, some very large shoes to fill, but Mr. Vogel is doing a fantastic job! I love that he's carrying on so many of Jerry Nelson's characters and I hope that he gets the opportunity to give life and a voice to Dr. Strangepork soon. I am so grateful to Matt & all the other Muppet performers who have taken on so many of Jim, Frank, Richard and Jerry's characters in addition to their own (out of curiousity, does Matt have his own character(s)? I haven't been keeping up with Sesame Street these days so I honestly don't know)
    Anyway, all this to say, if you're reading this Matt, you are awesome, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your hard work, and I look forward to your future performances!! yaaaay! **Kermit arm flail**
  7. Beauregard Well-Known Member

Team M'Vat foreva!:sing:
    DrDientes likes this.
  8. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Matt is doing an AMAZING job with Uncle Deadly. I'm excited to see that Floyd is coming back into the spotlight once again. :sing: Hopefully we will see more of him in a Pigs in Space sketch playing Dr. Julius Strangepork, or even a speaking role for Thog! :)
  9. Hubert Well-Known Member

Up there further in this thread I placed smilies in my post of his characters that have them, but I'd like to redo that:

:sing::fishy::cluck::crazy::grr::wisdom: [IMG]

And hopefully he'll eventually perform:
    :smirk: [IMG]

Oh, and by the way, Uncle Deadly and Thog smilies were created by muppetboy09.
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  10. muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

yeahhh amazing matt vogel
  11. Borples Active Member

Matt's incredible. I just love the work he's doing with SS and the Muppets. I'd expound on individual characters, but then I'd be here all day, because he's amazing at all of them! Also, he seems like he's having a lot of fun, which makes me happy.

I will say that he made me like a version of 'Forget You,' which I didn't think would ever happen. ;-)

I hope he gets to take on Gobo eventually; I think he'd do a great job. Wonder if there's a puppet in the works?

Hubert...you made an Uncle Deadly! Cool!
  12. Hubert Well-Known Member

I didn't actually. Thog and Uncle Deadly were muppetboy09's creations. I borrowed them for this post. I forgot to type that. I stink at smilie-making.
  13. Borples Active Member

Hubert...you borrowed an Uncle Deadly! Cool! ;-)
  14. Amanda Taylor Active Member

I just saw Matt Vogel in pics and as the say on Animaniacs:
    "HEEELLLOOOOOOOOOO NURSE!"
  15. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

At this time, I really feel it necessary to bump this thread, because I believe that at this point in time, while we continue to mourn the loss of the late, great Jerry Nelson, Matt Vogel could also use some support from us as well.

We know what a great job he's done taking on the characters of Sergeant Floyd Pepper, Uncle Deadly, Camilla, Lew Zealand, and other of Jerry's Classic Muppets for the new movie, but now he is faced with a slightly more daunting task of taking over Count Von Count on SST... the circumstances are different now - he had previously taken on these characters because Jerry had retired, but now Jerry has retired permanently, so I'm sure there is a slight bit, or maybe even a whole lot, of pressure on Matt right now over the prospect of taking on Count.

I know that apparently Matt Tweets, well I don't Tweet, so if anyone wants to direct him to this thread, or even forward some of these messages to him, I think it may be helpful. I for one would like to say to Matt, if he should ever read this, that as a big fan of your work, an admirer of your performances, and a fellow "Puppet Geek" (as he has described himself), that I am behind you 100%; you've done Jerry's characters a lot of justice, and I have no doubts you'll continue to do so, and I'm sure Jerry will be proud of the way you will be keeping these characters that we all know and love alive for many more years to come. Hang in there Matt, we're in your corner.
    DrDientes and Beauregard like this.
  16. Princeton Active Member

When I first heard his Uncle Deadley, I thought it was Dave Goelz performing him. And Re:The Count, in an era where Sesame is populated mainly by Elmo and Abby Cadabby, is taking over The Count *really* that big a deal? When Eric Jacobson took over Fozzie and Piggy, yeah, he had big shoes to fill, but it's not like The Count is a major character anymore.
  17. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

The only reason I appreciate Matt is because he performs Robin.
    Beauregard likes this.
  18. FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I heard Matt Vogel doing The Count's laugh in the "Wing in a Sling" episode on Sesame Street after he says, "Oh, I love watching the store!"
    At least, we heard a sneak peak what his new voice would sound like.

Good luck to Matt Vogel on doing The Count. :batty:
  19. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Nope, that was definitely Jerry.
  20. Hayley B Active Member

Hooray for Matt Vogel. He's been so great to follow on Twitter. I know that he works very hard for the Muppets. He is well deserved for a appreciation thread. :)
    FrackleFan2012 likes this.