1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Making of My Rowlf Replica Puppet

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by vic, Oct 31, 2012.

1. vic

vic Member

Hi Everybody!

I am in the beginning stages of making ROWLF and I thought I would document as I go along to get as much feedback and help as possible. There are some very talented folks out there that have already made him and came out awesome....yes Rgentry I am talking to you :) so I would appreciate as much input and help you could give me.

I will start with the beginning:

RESEARCH :

[​IMG]

PRELIMNARY ROUGH SKETCHES:
    [​IMG]

ORDERED A SWATCH FOR MY ROWLF REPLICA MUPPET PUPPET :

I should be receving 3 Yards of this Chocolate Brown lambs wool sherpa on FRIDAY!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STARTING WITH THE HEAD:

As you can see I grabed an 8' Styrofoam sphere and cut it a little after the ecuatorial area of the sphere (let's pretend it's a globe) this way the upper area is larger than the lower area, I think he is too round, rowlf seems to be a little more football like not much but not perfectly round so then:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started experimenting with the lower shorter area and a half hemisphere instead and a paper cut out that I will later use for the real eyes and nose size and placement ... TOUGHTS??:

[​IMG]

Here he is with the original upper sphere and the cut out
    [​IMG]

Wich one looks more accurate, or do I have it al wrong?
    Let me know any ideas, tips thanks!!! ;)
  2. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

First of all, excellent work so far! I feel that this is going to turn out amazing. Jealousssssss :)

Well, I'd hesitantly say that the latter photo's top half looks more accurate to me. Even if it actually isn't, you can always cover more of the "hairline" with the great fur material that will be used for most of his body. I'd say it's better to have more to work with rather than too little!

I've never made a live-hand puppet before, and it sure looks like you're well on your way without any advice I could try to think up! Keep goin', I wanna see more! :excited:
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  3. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

that looks perfect!!!!
  4. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

Personally, I like the first one better, not as round and just screams Rowlf to me...But either way, you are doing a fantastic job with these, and he's going to look awesome. :fanatic:
  5. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

that looks fantastic so far i can't wait for the finshed result
  6. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ROWLF??? It looks as though he's been in Saw 8!!

Seriously though, he looks absolutely brilliant!!! P.M. and send me your email address - I'll send through all my ref files I've used when illustrating Rowlf
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  7. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Amazing can't wait !
  8. vic

vic Member

Thank you so much for all your awesome comments and encouraging thoughts, it really gives me more confidence to make him, i will keep on documenting as I go along, Guys, Gals thanks again ;)

I like your point of having more to cover if needed while using the bigger half
    Thanks!

I got to say i am leaning to this also. Plaid made an interesting point though, having more to cover is better if needed, the only flaw that I see with this is that is no matter how I cover it if I needed to have more of an oval face I would still end up with a bigger top head. It is a tuff call, sometimes ROWLF seems more rounded than others in photos.

Thanks for your feedback ;)
  9. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

the orignal upper spehere is the best
  10. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

That's a great point, some ROWLF puppets probably were rounder than others, so much like a Kermit or Elmo, pick the one YOU like and go with it. It would be impossible to match him to every picture, so pick the one you think best represents Rowlf. One other thing, if you do choose the other head, maybe slightly enlarging the eyes and nose would make him look more like the top photo while still preserving the rounder shape?
  11. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

Hey Vic, Sorry for slow reply., I didnt build my Rowlf. I bought it

Yours is looking pretty awesome as it is. Keep going
  12. vic

vic Member

Thanks Rtgentry!!!! I will post more pics son :)
  13. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Looks great, I've been wanting to build a Rowlf puppet of my own too. What did you use to make his nose?
  14. vic

vic Member

Thanks! I am experimenting right now with serveral solutions, the one I am leaning for is magic model by Crayola covered with plastidip I will post photos.
  15. vic

vic Member

Here are some shots of the noses I've made so far and am experimenting with:
    [​IMG]
    Plaid Fraggle likes this.
  16. vic

vic Member

A shot of the skinned head with mouth plate and one of the noses I am leaning for:
    [​IMG]
  17. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

So, SO cool. :cool:
  18. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see how this turns out. He looks GREAT so far! :)
  19. PanthraDion

PanthraDion Well-Known Member

Wow, what book is that in the first picture?
  20. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Jim Henson: The Works. :jim: I have it as well. :)