The Maestro Puppet

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made this for a charity auction and it went down really well. I used Antron Fleece "flesh tone" from Out of the Box. The tails suit came from Ebay, as did the shoes. Eyes were blank from Ebay, and I used some self sticking black felt for the pupils.

I used an enlarged Melonhead puppet pattern from Project puppet for the head. Alternative simple series body enlarged that was heavily altered (including changing to a back entrance to allow the full pants to be put onto the puppet). The arms, hands and legs were simple series enlarged and the feet were custom to fit the shoes.

His hair was made by making a cap that was created using the melonhead patter as a guide, then wool was knotted and punched through. This took time, but the effect was great. He was loosely based on a conductor from the orchestra I work. It was fun and the puppet raised over $2,000 for charity. Given I don't ever make puppets to sell I was really happy with this achievement and I think he came out with great personality.

Love to hear your thoughts. Up to this point, most of my puppets were replicas but I really want to create my own custom designs (still for my son only). Any pointers you can offer would be greatly appreciated, I want each puppet to be better than the previous and feedback is the best way to learn.

Anyway, onto the pictures.

kumakami

Reaction score
he's fantastic! I can see why they would bid so much!

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Thanks all, he was hard to make given my limited experience but was well worth the effort. I made three prototypes in green before the final version to get the suit to fit and to get the right look. The prototypes were scrapped afterwards as I felt it important that this was unique one of a kind. Trying some borsa puppet monsters for my son next then want to try Cookie Monster.

downunderbatman

Reaction score
one thing I forgot to mention. The eyes, were blanks I found on Ebay. The seller had several different sized and shaped blank eyes that are perfect for puppets. They also come in several different colours. They are no longer on ebay, but have a website. If you are interested, you should do a google search for Shamrock Rose Teddy Bear Supplies. Look up Eyes Character Eyes on their list on the right hand side. Sorry if this isn't allowed, but I was really excited to finally find someone who makes available quality blank eyes. So many have the pupils already painted on which doesn't allow custom placement of the pupils, or different materials for those who prefer the 3d look of felt etc. These are all blank whites, in oval shapes and other variations. They have a stem on the back and a toothed washer that slides on to hold them in place. Much easier than gluing the eyes onto the puppet and they hold so well but still allow slight manipulation of the eyes (you can still spin them with some force to alter the appearance/mood of the puppet).

Greg

JacobsBest

Reaction score
Well done! He is quite dapper. As a personal preference, I would set the eyes a bit closer together and perhaps adjust the slant a scosche. I also think your Elmo is spot on!

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments I did adjust the eye angle slightly after the pics were taken. I did try them closer together but further apart seemed to look more like the person he was inspired by. My preference is always close as you definitely get better eye focus from that. I've just completed a large borsa puppet pattern monster, I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Greg

JacobsBest

Reaction score
Can't wait to see those Borsa pics. I am debating on ordering that pattern before the holiday sale (@ www.projectpuppet.com ) ends. I picked up the Mostro pattern and some crazy rainbow striped Punky-Muppet fur from Mendel's, but I am forcing myself to complete the several partial projects I have going before starting a new one. Phooey.

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Borsa is great well worth it. My Elmo was made using their monstro pattern with no deviations at all. Worked well.