The Letter People

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Ahh...The Letter People

It does my heart good to know there are others like me who loved the Letter People...I loved that show!! 10 years ago I taped 4 cassettes worth of episodes and gave them to my then 4 year-old nephew, so he could learn his alphabet and learn to read. It makes me so proud to tell you that at 14, he reads books and actually enjoys doing so. He then passed the tapes along to his little sister (who is 6 now), and she loved the show as well.
My only regret is I didn't record the shows for myself. I sincerely hope The Letter People will be released on DVD someday, especially because I just became a new Dad on April 2, and would love to show my daughter some Letter People shows. (Believe me, she has alot of SS and Muppets to watch already.) As a personal note here, Mr. V and Mr. L were always my favorite consanants and I loved Miss E too.
I do have a question though...the character of Monty Swell, was he voiced by Charles Nelson Reilly? Sure sounds like him.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Aww, that is a really sweet story. And it great that he passed them down, too! And congradulations on your becoming a father, too! That's relly wonderful news and that you or sharing it with us!:smile:

lael

Reaction score
Congrats, Nuevo Pappi, Son of Enik! I hope the letter people are dvded as well. I'd love to see how much of them I actually remember.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
My kindergarten taught us our alphabet with the Letter People; she had like these records and each Letter Person had their own special song, and we would do little arts and crafts projects with the Letter People... *sigh* good times.
Me too. Our school was heavily involved with them. I remember Tall Teeth was frightening to a lot of us.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I miss The Letter People and with they were available on video or something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looking at some of the TV show on YouTube, I'm curious if those puppets were built by different people, because while some of the puppets really don't look half bad, most of them look very amateur and poorly put together.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looking at some of the TV show on YouTube, I'm curious if those puppets were built by different people, because while some of the puppets really don't look half bad, most of them look very amateur and poorly put together.
The crappy puppets can be looked over for me because the songs are at least catchy and well-produced. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, the earlier ones seem to have a more amateurish feel to them. Overall, of course, not just the puppets. The humor isn't well developed, it felt like what most off brand Sesame Street type shows come off as. But there's a certain point where the show becomes its own. The one shot/incidental puppets looked a lot less like oven mitts, the humor becomes sly and less preschooly... Monty Swell certainly changed the tone of the show, making it more accessible to parents watching.

But the earlier skits really feel like they were being educational first and entertaining a few steps down. Not so much bad as very much for the younger audiences. I'd say that this Mr. M at the Market skit has some pretty awkward moments.

I love how Melissa acts like "Munching Melons on a Monday" is a war crime when she's selling the freaking things herself.