The Hobbit Movie?

The Storyteller

Reaction score
Are they still going to make this movie? Last I heard was that MGM and New Line Cinema where still fighting over the rights to the movie? :confused:

Fozzie

Reaction score
There hasn't been any news on a Hobbit movie for awhile. Although I am really hoping that this movie will be released since I loved the book.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I hope they release it. But it's gotta have Ian M. as Gandalf, Ian H. as Bilbo, Hugo as Elrond, and Andy as Gollum.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
If the great Peter Jackson is set to direct, it might be a while, as he is currently working on his version of "King Kong".

But "The Hobbit" would definietly be on the top of my list! :excited:

Muppet Crypts

Reaction score
they say 2006 or so he has 2 movies ahead of the Hobbit King Kong and a project i can't recall S :stick_out_tongue: ource: Entertainment Weekly

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yes, "The Hobbit" would rock! I heard that they're having a lot of trouble securing rights, which surprises me. I would have thought it would have been a lot harder to get the rights for LOTR. And after Jackson did such a great job, you'd thinl they'd be thrilled to let him to "The Hobbit." Then again, not everyone agrees he did a great job... I agree about using the same castmembers, except for Bilbo. I said for quite a while they should get Ian Holm to reprise Bilbo, but the problem is that while the other three characters didn't really change at all physically in the space of 80 years, Bilbo did. He aged a lot more slowly than anyone else, but just the same, Ian was perfect to play the older Bilbo but would be in his late '70s or older by the time "The Hobbit" gets started. He's just too old to play a 50-year-old , especially considering that Frodo is supposed to be 50 too and was played by a 20-year-old.
Erin

rexcrk

Reaction score
In the prologue for Fellowship they showed Bilbo younger being played by Ian Holm. It's possible, everything's possible :wink:

anathema

Reaction score
The last I heard, Jackson was planning to do it, and he'd commented that while he's currently tied up with other projects he should be available by the time the laywers are through arguing :smile:

Fozzie

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
In the prologue for Fellowship they showed Bilbo younger being played by Ian Holm. It's possible, everything's possible :wink:
I agree. I think all they did was die hi hair brown. I think it is important for continuity's sake.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think the status of the project is that MGM and New Line each have 1/2 the rights (a similar problem held up the Spiderman movie for years). They basically have to sort out a revenue/budget sharing agreement. Jackson is not officially attached to it (I'm not sure if it's even considered in "active development" at the moment) and hasn't formally been offered to direct it yet, though he's said he'd like to and New Line also wants him back, especially after the Oscars.

I hope they get it sorted out. I mean it's basically either this or The Similarian.