The Growth of Gonzo

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have been watching The Muppet Show Season One, and Letters to Santa, and I have really been thinking about how much Gonzo has grown. He use to be silly, and take things so litteral. Now he could almost be the second in comand in the Muppet world. Any houghts?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
He still has a preference for the bizarre. He's just more mellow about it now. The Trio (Kermit/Fozzie/Gonzo) has come a long way since the early days.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Most Muppet characters evolve very organically and Gonzo is one of the best examples - he's gone from a very simple concept which could have been left one-joke and had gone on to become one of the most complex and three-dimensional of the Muppet characters.

In many ways, Gonzo seems a natural fit for being a star/host/lead - he embodies all the Muppets' craziness via being the "weird one" in a cast of weirdos. Given Dave Goelz' total availability during the rough times when Frank was too involved elsewhere and when Jim unfortunately was gone, Gonzo really held down the Muppet fort. Though of course that was just a significant part of a long interesting journey. Just looking at Gonzo's development from the beginning to the end of The Muppet Show's run is a very intense road.

Jerry Juhl used to do presentations featuring clips of Gonzo over time when he would be illustrating character development.

Kiki

Reaction score
I reckon Gonzo's definately come a long way. In the first season, he's kinda coy, and a bit of a loner, and barely anyone could relate to him. He always seemed like a bit of a target, too. I find that thesedays, and even going back to the early 90s (with MCC and MTI) he's much more confident and outgoing. Beforehand he was kinda determined but it was easy to let him down. He's a lot more open now and cracks more jokes. He's also a bit more cynical in his humor, perhaps like his puppeteer.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
If you think about it, you can consider Gonzo in season one as a kid, heck he even spoke like a baby in one episode, and was obsessed with a teddy in another. Season two, Gonzo became more 'mature' how ever lightly, still had that scratchy voice, and still obsessed with being the star. Season Three and the Muppet Movie, Gonzo finally got himself a job, a drivers license, and a girlfriend, like all normal teenagers do. Season Four and Five, Gonzo was much more mature, even going so far as to calling puppet shows 'sick.'

Then, Gonzo was taking Camilla on dates, even prize shows, in the JHH. Muppets Tonight, he tried to fill the void he left with the weirdest acts he could find...

So yeah, Gonzo is the only muppet who aged so much.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
With all due respect to Dave Goelz Gonzo wasn't likable in season 1, but he got better in later seasons and evolved into one of my favorite muppets. He completed his evolution in seasons 4 and 5 of the muppet show though he was still awesome in s2 and 3 and TMM. By GMC, the Gonzo from season 1 was forever gone.

Bridget

Reaction score
You have like, NO idea! I specifically remember as a toddler sitting in my favorite pink rocking chair, watching Gonzo sing "Nobody" in Season One along with Rowlf, and his scratchier voice was definitely head-aching to listen to. It is true though. Gonzo has definitely grew into someone who is now weird BUT mature with the weirdness, and not as childish.