The Great Weight Loss Race

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That's awesome. You'll have to post your daily regimen of food (your menu and how much you serve yourself) for those of us who have no idea what we need to be eating. Because, obviously, I'm on the wrong path if I gained 3 pounds instead of going the other way.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Some other things to think about.......

Fozzie Bear said:
That's awesome. You'll have to post your daily regimen of food (your menu and how much you serve yourself) for those of us who have no idea what we need to be eating. Because, obviously, I'm on the wrong path if I gained 3 pounds instead of going the other way.
One major thing people tend to forget about is metabolisim, and how big of an impact it can have on how quickly a person looses weight.
When I first met my husband, I was 20, going to school, and getting involved in every physicaly challenging class I could think of: like ballroom dancing, country dancing, vollyball, outdoor recreation, rock climbing, cave exploring, you name it. I weighed a meir 135 lbs. and could eat everything from chocolate to nuts and still not gain weight from it, due to the fact that I was so physically active. My metabolisim was going through the roof!

But once I "got married and settled down", unfortunately so did my metabolisim. I didn't go to school anymore, now that I had my "Mrs. degree",
and suddenly all those callories I was so used to taking in started to pile up fast! Now, 17 years later, I'm not only extreemly over weight, but due to my age and the fact that I've had 3 kids, my metabolisim has nearly become non-existant! And without metabolisim, loosing weight is extreemly difficult if not nearly impossible. It doesn't matter how little I eat, either. I could go a whole week without food and I probably wouldn't loose a pound. Like one dietician so poiniantly said "You can't starve a fat cell!"

So what it comes down to is basicaly this: the younger you are, the easier it will be for you to loose weight. Metabolisim diminishes with age, and because of that, the amount of fat it takes a 20 yr old person only 30 minutes worth of exercise to burn off, will take a 35 yr old twice as long to burn off at the same level of exertion. So, all you young un's out there, who don't happen to have physical conditions (like Diabetes), and are still trying to loose weight; take advantage of your age while you still can! And don't let yourself fall into the trap of lethargic lifestyle, like I did. Believe me, it's not worth it! :frown:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:

Well for me, since I burn a lot of calories, about 1200-1250 per day on running, not to mention the other calories I burn when I do weightlifting, I tend to eat a lot of foods-good foods that are healthy.

For breakfast, if I eat it, I'll eat something typical like eggs and some bacon. This is fine since this is what people should be eating. I mean mothers in the 50s and 60s were cooking stuff like this up for their children all the time, and it didn't bother them.

Or I might eat a peanut butter sandwitch and an apple, if I need a fast meal told hold me over until lunch.

For lunch, it conists of something like some chicken or fish and green beans, or maybe even brocolli. Like I might order something from Bostn Market like 1/4 piece chicken and double green beans. Or I might cook me some chicken in the oven and eat that with some green beans from a can, which I eat all the green beans.

Dinner might consist of something like a tv dinner from Healthy Choice. Thos things contain about 300 calories or maybe a little less than that and have mixtures of stuff like fish and brocolli or maybe chicken and green peas, etc. Or if my parents have cooked something like steak and green beans or grilled chicken from the grill and corn on the cobb, I'll eat that.

I also drink a lot of water during the day. but of course water tends to get boring and I might drink a coke a couple of times a week.

I also like to drink a smoothie from the smoothie place I have where I live. Smoothies are natural fruit drinks many people get after a work out or get them when they're going somewhere, etc. They're really tasty and good for you.

As for fast foods, I cuts those places out a good while ago. i just drive by them, even forgetting they exist. I could care less about fast food. it's just nasty to me now.

Also, I don't eat any fried foods either. It upsets my stomach now if I eat something that is fried.

I don't eat chips either. I just stopped eating them. I don't really care for chips anymore. I don't like ice cream either. I might eat me a bag of M & M's a few times a week.

I also don't eat snack foods at night either, not unless I'm eating fruit like an apple or grapes. Those are good for you.

So that's pretty much what I eat.

ryan

BEAR

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
Well for me, since I burn a lot of calories, about 1200-1250 per day on running, not to mention the other calories I burn when I do weightlifting, I tend to eat a lot of foods-good foods that are healthy.

For breakfast, if I eat it, I'll eat something typical like eggs and some bacon. This is fine since this is what people should be eating. I mean mothers in the 50s and 60s were cooking stuff like this up for their children all the time, and it didn't bother them.

Or I might eat a peanut butter sandwitch and an apple, if I need a fast meal told hold me over until lunch.

For lunch, it conists of something like some chicken or fish and green beans, or maybe even brocolli. Like I might order something from Bostn Market like 1/4 piece chicken and double green beans. Or I might cook me some chicken in the oven and eat that with some green beans from a can, which I eat all the green beans.

Dinner might consist of something like a tv dinner from Healthy Choice. Thos things contain about 300 calories or maybe a little less than that and have mixtures of stuff like fish and brocolli or maybe chicken and green peas, etc. Or if my parents have cooked something like steak and green beans or grilled chicken from the grill and corn on the cobb, I'll eat that.

I also drink a lot of water during the day. but of course water tends to get boring and I might drink a coke a couple of times a week.

I also like to drink a smoothie from the smoothie place I have where I live. Smoothies are natural fruit drinks many people get after a work out or get them when they're going somewhere, etc. They're really tasty and good for you.

As for fast foods, I cuts those places out a good while ago. i just drive by them, even forgetting they exist. I could care less about fast food. it's just nasty to me now.

Also, I don't eat any fried foods either. It upsets my stomach now if I eat something that is fried.

I don't eat chips either. I just stopped eating them. I don't really care for chips anymore. I don't like ice cream either. I might eat me a bag of M & M's a few times a week.

I also don't eat snack foods at night either, not unless I'm eating fruit like an apple or grapes. Those are good for you.

So that's pretty much what I eat.

ryan
Some of your diet ideas aren't bad. Don't be fooled by smoothies though. Sure, they can be good for you, but not always. Portions is a huge factor that people forget about and not all smoothies are healthy. Juices are full of calories. Juice is healthy but not too much of it if the plan is to lose weight. plus we all have such different body types and ages and things that we have separate needs. I dunno...for me, I just need to keep my body moving and cut out the sweets and oversnacking.

superfan

Reaction score
Superfan's weekly weigh in:

Last week: 240.2 lbs
Today: 239

down a pound.
Finally into the 30's!

My portions go like:
Big veggie or fruit
Medium to big protein depending on type and way it's cooked
Small: starch

superfan

Reaction score
LAST WEEK..239
THIS WEEK...235
a loss of four pounds. :smile:
I find this funny...listen up.. back in 1997 I was on the fashion model's roster for BBW which is Big Beautiful Women (in Toronto). So okay, whatever, but you know what?
I weighed 60 pounds LESS than I do now (175lbs to be exact) and I was still considered...big.

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
Juice did me in. In the past year I have randomly not been able to drink soda anymore, it makes me violently ill, so I switched to juice.

The juice and the sedintary job and the stress of the last year caused me to gain a horrifying 50 pounds!!!

I am officially fatter than I have ever been in my life. My doctor seems to think that just the lack of stress (since I quit my stressful job and ditched my stressful commute) will make a difference in my weight right away but I have started running everyday to help it along.

I think I just used to be more active and I'm not anymore. I don't eat very much so I think its got to be the activity.

Weight loss is so depressingly slow!

What was going to be a leisurely journey to get back to my normal weight is now all high pressure because I might be getting married in under a year and I will be gosh darned if I am going to walk down the aisle with a spare tire.

I am in, but I will talk about my weight loss as such. I am currently at x. When I lose 5 pounds, I will be x-5 and so forth. I cannot bear to type my weight as it depresses me.

if I manage to lose it, though, prepare for some serious before and after pics!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Lost 5 pounds!!

Of course, the day before Thanksgiving I caught that 24-hour stomach virus that's going around and missed thanksgiving dinner, but to finally fit in some new jeans I never could (my mom bought them) sure feels good!

BTW: That's 207 to 202 lbs.