The Great Space Coaster

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I loved this show when I saw it during my last year of high school.:big_grin:

There was Baxter the Clown, Edison the Elephant, Gariddle Gorilla, Gary Gnu and a couple of other puppet or body costume characters whose names elude me.

There were also three regular human cast members and famous celebrities made guest appearances. Richard Kiel made at least 3!!! appearances.
They must have really loved his company. I don't recall whether any other guest appeared more than once.

An excellent children's series:smile:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
I loved this show when I saw it during my last year of high school.:big_grin:

There was Baxter the Clown, Edison the Elephant, Gariddle Gorilla, Gary Gnu and a couple of other puppet or body costume characters whose names elude me.

There were also three regular human cast members and famous celebrities made guest appearances. Richard Kiel made at least 3!!! appearances.
They must have really loved his company. I don't recall whether any other guest appeared more than once.

An excellent children's series:smile:
yeppers I agree I hope it gets a dvd release!
it's funny how mr. elmo kevin clash used to work on that show as Griddle Gorilla and as rorry you can totally hear elmo in rorrys voice hehe

Andy

Reaction score
My favorite part of the show involved Roy's movie machine. Remember that? He usually took it out of his pocket after the first break, and we'd see a short cartoon/film segment. My favorite toons were the "La Linea" series that came out of Italy. I never knew they were called "La Linea", but I loved them all the same. Youtube.com has a couple of "La Linea" shorts to jog your memory.

nemalki

Reaction score
You know what's funny? I've been thinking a lot about The Great Space Coaster for a couple of months now. I You Tubed the original opening about a couple of weeks ago just for nostalgia's sake. I was like, whoa! this was a frelling cool show opening back in the day, and it's still cool. They don't make shows like GSC anymore, and that's a shame.

Then, this past weekend, Family Guy parodied the opening of GSC in the animation style and certain sequences (just like that old Sesame Street "Pinball" segment they did earlier in the season). You'd almost think that Seth and co. are kids of the 80s or something.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
nemalki said:
You know what's funny? I've been thinking a lot about The Great Space Coaster for a couple of months now. I You Tubed the original opening about a couple of weeks ago just for nostalgia's sake. I was like, whoa! this was a frelling cool show opening back in the day, and it's still cool. They don't make shows like GSC anymore, and that's a shame.

Then, this past weekend, Family Guy parodied the opening of GSC in the animation style and certain sequences (just like that old Sesame Street "Pinball" segment they did earlier in the season). You'd almost think that Seth and co. are kids of the 80s or something.
you would think so wouldn't you I think they actully may be huge muppet fans and to me GSC just happens to fall under that even if jim didnt make the show it is very closely conected to him and the muppets.:halo:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know? I never realized just hoe many of theses guys from this show ended up working for Henson.

xochval15

Reaction score
This show rocked Gary Gnu was the best. When I was a kid I used to know all the words to the opening credits. Who am I kidding, I still know the words hahaha

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I couldn't find any threads here that mention this, but it's come to my attention that the company that has the rights to this show needs money to save the show.

Here's a link: http://www.indiegogo.com/TGSC

According to the page they reached their goal to raise enough money to save one episode, but are still collecting donations for another 37 hours.

I was surprised to see that the show had 250 episodes. I was under the impression that it was a weekly series. I never saw this series, but with so many episodes it's a wonder the show wasn't rerun in syndication or cable afterwards. But I did find that there was at least one VHS of the series, The Great Space Coaster Supershow. Not sure how many episodes were included (or if it was a compilation).

I saw an FAQ about the show, where it mentions that they don't have records of what's on the episodes. The master tapes list numbers and dates. Even though it hasn't been aired in years, I am surprised they don't have records of who to send residuals to.

It's great they're making an effort to preserve at least a few episodes, even if they can't put the show on DVD right now due to music rights. But it makes me wonder if there are other obscure/semi-obscure '80s childrens shows in similar danger. I hope that the remaining episodes of The Muppet Show (the ones from seasons 4 and 5) are safe.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Holy crap, I didn't know that there were 250 episodes either, but I did always wonder exactly how many episodes there were, and you're partially right minor muppetz, this was a weekly series, but it was first-run syndication, which is probably why the show isn't seen in reruns.

It's also a little known fact that Kermit Love was partly responsible for the creation of this show.

I'll help spread the word about this.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
but it was first-run syndication, which is probably why the show isn't seen in reruns.
So first-run syndicated shows can't be seen in reruns (then again, The Muppet Show hasn't been in US reruns for over a decade)?