The Great Muppet Caper

Comical_DrBob

Reaction score
Finally found this DVD & watched it last week, I now have a better appreciation of this classic movie.
If movie starts don't want to be recognised why don't they wear the disguises the muppets wore :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I wore some fuzzy nose glasses once and couldn't recognize me for a week! :embarrassed:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
SteveJRogers said:
Geez, Piggy and Kermit break the fourth wall right in the middle of the park sequences where Kermit tries to reel Piggy back into performing the scene!
Ooh! Now you're gonna make me mad. (not really) To quote the kids at my house, "HE STARTED IT!" Piggy was doing just fine until Mr. Can't-see-straight-when-I'm-jealous had to pick a fight. I actually love this scene between them, even though it makes me want to smack Kermit, because--no matter what else is happening around them--their relationship comes through loud and clear.

Leyla

Reaction score
You know I was all set to defend Kermit when I sat back and tried to think who started that fight, or at least, who broke character first, and for all of Piggy's "Please! Please! Please!" overacting, you're right, Ru, Kermit broke character first.

You learn something new every day.

In any case, I'm very fond of that argument, partly because of the Kermit and Piggy dynamic, and partly just because I think it's hilarious when someone breaks the fourth wall.

Great Muppet Caper is one of my favorite movies, and correct me if I'm wrong, has the most Piggy in it. <is NOT a fangirl> Not that I don't love the other movies, she just tends to show up 45 minutes in, fashionably late, I suppose.

I also love the Kermit and Fozzie buddiness, which I've been missing in the more recent films. It's kind of fun seeing them putting on a movie, and it certainly set a trend. The title is actually one of my favorites too, now that I think about it. What's more muppety than a caper?

Edit: Love Kermit's amusing new moniker there, Ruahnna!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Leyla said:
I also love the Kermit and Fozzie buddiness, which I've been missing in the more recent films.
Edit: Love Kermit's amusing new moniker there, Ruahnna!
The scene where Fozzie wants to go on Kermit's date with him--and Kermit very definitely doesn't want company--is one of the best ever between them. I love Kermit a lot for not wanting company on his very special date with Piggy, but I love him even more for finally saying "You can come" to Fozzie. Very sweet.

And yes, thank you, after months and months I finally found a quote I want to use--and it's Fozzie and Kermit! Seems apt, non?

Leyla

Reaction score
Oh, tres! Ah, thanks kindly for reminding me of that scene. "Fozze? You can come." Ah, you're right; that is so very very sweet! Always fun seeing the frog trying to get alone time with Piggy, and failing of course, but for such a nice reason. I'm gonna have to go watch that scene again.

<smiles> I was referring to your "Mr. I can't see straight when I'm jealous" coining, but I do love your sig line! I meant to comment on that. Makes me wanna come up with something for my own signature. I'll have to think about it... somewhere else, where I'm not in danger of muffining.

What else did I like about GMC? Gonzo and his camera, his photo graphic essay on kneecaps, Fozzie's sugaring his drink until it tasted like gingerale, the humongus dance and water scenes.

John Cleese thinking Piggy was a boy and Kermit a lizard! All the great group scenes, planning to save the diamond, Piggy taking charge and rescuing her rescuers at the very end.

Great film.

P

Princeton

Leyla said:
John Cleese thinking Piggy was a boy and Kermit a lizard!
Thank you, Leyla, for reminding me of yet another thing I hated about this movie. For reasons totally unforeseen by me, my dad loves the whole John Cleese sequence. As if it's not bad enough that you (thankfully) don't see these characters again, they're so friggin' boring! I don't wanna see a dysfunctional couple forcing their way through a boring meal. You know, Frank Oz directed that scene. Normally I like Frank Oz's directing, but this is definitely the lamest scene he directed (number two being Bill Murray's scene in LSoH).

Leyla

Reaction score
Thank you, Leyla, for reminding me of yet another thing I hated about this movie.
Oh, anytime! :stick_out_tongue:

Has anyone else ever wondered why Piggy pushed that guy into the lake?

And does that picture of Fozzie and Kermit's Dad scare anyone else?

P

Princeton

Leyla said:
Has anyone else ever wondered why Piggy pushed that guy into the lake?

And does that picture of Fozzie and Kermit's Dad scare anyone else?
Now that you mention it, yeah, Kermit/Fozzie kinda does. And as for the "lake guy", he apparently touched Piggy (in some way, shape, or form), and that was cause to get pushed in the lake. I kinda gather that assumption by Piggy's following lines: "Get your filthy hands off me!" and "Just keep your hands to yourself, turkey!" I guess old British guys have a thing for porcine divas.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Leyla said:
Gonzo and his camera, his photo graphic essay on kneecaps.
Also, the models Marla, Carla and Darla being offended that Lady Holiday thinks they look like birds, esp. ostriches, only to have Gonzo hubba-hubba them, thereby confirming their resemblence to birds.