The future of MR photo puppets.

Kevin Knight

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's views were on the economical and realistic future of the product line. Based on the MR Star Wars FX lightsaber line I'm really hesitant to get any hopes up for the future of our line after Fozzie, or at the most after Piggy. Without any new entertainment (movie, TV, albums) to reinvigorate the Muppet franchise (Don't feel that the release of the Muppet DVD Seasons counts as much as say, the theater releases of the Star Wars prequels.) It would be truly sad and unfortunate, I agree, as I can hear all of you in a untied or rather united voice. LOL, let's hear it for freudian misspelling. I hope I'm wrong. But I'd rather be proven right and surprised, than let down doue to profitablity or marketing. I would even fully understand a divertion to 4 or 5 Sesame Street characters as has been mentioned. Ernie , Bert , Grover , Oscar or Cookie, and most likely Elmo. OK Maybe not! LOL This could have been over in the Ask Travis thread but once again i didn't want to divert from infowe're all waiting for on...... DA BEAR!

Kevin

muppetperson

Reaction score
I think they are at the valueation stage, waiting to see how the sales are going.I say this because previously, when a character was getting released, Terry had already done a couple of prototypes in advance.Now at this stage, Terry should of done another, but there are no further prototypes after fozzie, indicating what I believe.Which means should sales be good, that there will be a long delay before another character comes out.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Sesame Workshop license is notoriously expensive. I know that, in part, accounts for the difficulty in getting Palisades quality Sesame figures on the market. Sesame photo puppets are unlikely - especially considering that MR wouldn't want product competing with the current Muppet Show line. If Grover and the gang were ever to happen over there the Muppet line would need to have ended and on a good enough note to inspire confidence in Sesame puppets. :super:

I really don't know how they sold so many Kermits to tell you the truth. It's a high-priced/high end item that is not easy to move. I hope we can get Miss Piggy after Fozzie and Rowlf (in place of Rizzo) after that. Unless these have a sudden surge in popularity I just don't see a Floyd or Sam happening and don't think they should "pepper" in these fan faves between more popular Muppets like the beloved dog.

So, I just don't know. My guess is that Piggy will come after Fozzie and (depending on sales) possibly end the line or make way for one more spot. After that MR might diversify the Muppet line into figurines (hopefully more inspired than the direct translation of licensing stock art as was done with the Mayhem). I can see a line of Sigma-type products of bookends etc coming from them. That is totally my speculation, but it makes sense.

I hope to get Scooter, Dr. Teeth and the gang as photo puppets, but I don't know how feasible that is. Than again, I never thought this product could ever happen in the first place. :wink:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I am going to have to ask Terry if he has started any prototype yet. I haven't emailed him in awhile anyways. I am worried about this line myself, it's getting to quiet unless we see something at Con in July. It's even got really quiet on MR forum as well.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
I would hope we'll get Fozzie, but I can't see it going past that. At this point, I'm looking at Piggy as a bonus.

When you figure that they were originally going to put out four per year and are now struggling to get two out per year (and none of the first three have sold out yet), I would say they aren't selling as they thought they would.

And honestly, how could they? MR has done nothing to sell these things. Heck, their website shows the worst possible photos. As fans I think we've done a great job of promoting their products but they've done nothing to advance their sales. They built up great momentum with Gonzo and have absolutely killed it by not promoting him, communicating with their customers, and the lack of info about Fozzie.

I'm sure the powers that be are understaffed and overworked (too much to communicate with their customers or update their website with decent pictures that may actually sell their products) but they need to realize that without their customers they won't have jobs to worry about.

I have no doubts this Muppet line could've and should've been incredibly successful. MR only has themselves to blame if these products aren't selling well. Unfortunately we, as fans, are the ones that will suffer if this line ends prematurely.

muppetguy

Reaction score
Keep Hope

I can totally hear and understand your frustrations. I'm in the same boat as al of you. I would love information on Fozzie and how he's coming along. I would love to hear that Terry is in the works on his 2ND Piggy poser....everything is all up to specualtion at this point. I wouldn't shoot the company down. All I am going to do is think positive. I think Gonzo's complicatiuons changed alot on how many get produced in a year...causing a bit of a backup. I am going to stay hopeful and pray that Fozzie's pre-order will be up soon and Piggy will be shortly after. They have to have the main four and Piggy is needed. No matter how many people down her sales, there hasn't been a Piggy Collectible on this scale and I do believe that people will want to buy her because she looks like the real deal, not a 4.99 plush toy. Stay positive guys, try to anyways. :stick_out_tongue:

Ignohippo

Reaction score
I hope to be optimistic. I am just really, really disappointed with MR because of what has occurred since Gonzo has been released.

One thought though, what if MR has hired someone else besides Terry to do the Piggy poser? Kermeee here on the boards created a fantastic pig puppet. Hopefully he has been contacted by MR to create the Piggy poser prototype.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I am not sure of anything. I am going to do a little investigating next week. I am with you guys, I don't like being left hanging not knowing what is going on we where where told that we are going to see the Fozzie prototype over a month ago. :embarrassed:

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Let's not panic folks. Travis did say that he expected the first Fozzie to be pretty bad and considering our rants about Gonzo, maybe he wants to wait and show us something closer to the final version. I do admit that promotion of these replicas has been poor to say the least. How anyone ever expected to sell replicas of beloved characters from yesteryear without promotion is beyond me. I only stumbled onto them by pure accident and I'm a huuuuuge Muppet fan. I stumbled across the line when I googled Kermit in the images section and saw him in coverage from a toyfair. I actually feel that I have personally done more to promote these - anyone who stands close to me for longer than a second has them shown to them on my phone, and incidently, some have consequently bought one on the back of that. Let's try and put our confidence in MR. I genuinely feel that the Muppets are on the cusp of a huge return to the limelight. The new movie will ignite the flame, they have a huge celebrity following and are frequently referenced in modern shows such as Family Guy and the Office. Sales for high end replicas will no doubt sky rocket off the back of that. MR will probably need to show a little blind faith but I for one think that eventually this line could be and should be huge! Besides, no-one has told us how the line is actually doing, we are only speculating about the sales.