The future of Jerry Nelson's charachters

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I don't want to upset anybody or come off as being negative. But I'm just wondering about when Jerry Nelson passes on, who will be a good choice of a performer to take over his charachters? I would hate to see his charachters be written out of the show, like most of Richard Hunt's were in 1992 when he died. Who would be good choices for The Count, Herry Monster, Mumford, and Fat Blue? I think it would be wise to retire Biff. He hasn't been seen since the 90's and he has that unique voice that only Jerry could do.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
why don't we worry about that when he dies? Jerry's only 71 and unless they don't expect him to be around for very long because of his illness, he probably has another 5 or 10 years ahead of him.

BEAR

Reaction score
I think he wants to know if Jerry has anyone studying under him the way Matt Vogel is for Carroll Spinney and Eric Jacobson did for Frank Oz. Just to train them for the future. Jerry and Carroll are about the same age.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I don't want to upset anybody or come off as being negative. But I'm just wondering about when Jerry Nelson passes on, who will be a good choice of a performer to take over his charachters? I would hate to see his charachters be written out of the show, like most of Richard Hunt's were in 1992 when he died. Who would be good choices for The Count, Herry Monster, Mumford, and Fat Blue? I think it would be wise to retire Biff. He hasn't been seen since the 90's and he has that unique voice that only Jerry could do.
Well, David Rudman had previously played Herry and Fat Blue (Herry's was only a small cameo, but the voice and character was good; David was okay in the "Grouchland" movie as Fat Blue, but not the best voice). Last year Matt Vogel played Mumford in the halloween video, but only one scene with him didn't have Jerry's voice dubbed in (when he's talking on the phone), but it was pretty good.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson should at least have some performers occassionally perform his characters. Many people on here think that Joey Mazzarino could probably do a good herry, while I think Martin P. Robinson could do Herry. I also think Martin P. Robinson could perform Fat Blue. The Count should definately have an understudy.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Jerry Nelson should at least have some performers occassionally perform his characters. Many people on here think that Joey Mazzarino could probably do a good herry, while I think Martin P. Robinson could do Herry. I also think Martin P. Robinson could perform Fat Blue. The Count should definately have an understudy.

I agree with your statement regarding The Count. Like Big Bird and Grover and others, he is such a critical element to the show and should be able to continue his appearances.