The Fanfic Research Thread

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I think the fact that Jim Henson played Rowlf hurt him from forming any real "partnerships" with any other characters, since Kermit was always going to be the focal point of the project and therefore get Jim's attention and make it easier to develop dynamics with other characters. But to try and answer your question better, I Hope That Something Better Comes Along shows that Rowlf and Kermit are certainly good friends.

Hubert

Reaction score
I had thought of Kermit and Rowlf, unfortunately we never really get to see that relationship fleshed out on screen. We can only assume. But then, Kermit is pretty much friends with everyone, so it wouldn't be surprising if they did have a strong friendship.

One more question: Does anyone know of any clues as to where the Muppet Boarding House in MFS was supposed to be located in the movie?

Hubert

Reaction score
I knew where they were filmed, but I wanted to know if there were any clues in MFS as to where the Boarding House was supposed to be in that movie.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean anything like an address, I think it was #33 Bronson Lane.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Regarding Rowlf's friendships, he did tend to get paired up with Fozzie for musical performances, like English Country Garden or "An Actor's Life for Me." He got paired with some others, too--Miss Piggy, Sam, Zoot... but, while I don't know exact numbers off-hand, I think he was most commonly paired with Fozzie.

Or, y'know, his bust of Beethoven...

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Well, it was obvious in a couple of the piano sketches that Rowlf and Piggy have a good working friendship based on their mutual talent. Rowlf was a big appreciator of women in general, and when Piggy was bringing home a torch song, Rowlf was happy witness it. Also, I always felt there was a sort of musicians meeting-of-the-minds with Rowlf and the Mayhem. Again, mutual respect and talent.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Well, it was obvious in a couple of the piano sketches that Rowlf and Piggy have a good working friendship based on their mutual talent. Rowlf was a big appreciator of women in general, and when Piggy was bringing home a torch song, Rowlf was happy witness it. Also, I always felt there was a sort of musicians meeting-of-the-minds with Rowlf and the Mayhem. Again, mutual respect and talent.
I second that. At least show wise, Rowlf seemed to be paired up with Fozzie, Piggy, and the Mayhem a lot. As Aunt Ru mentioned, many of Piggy's torch songs and piano pieces were always done by Rowlf, while he and Fozzie seemed to have a good relationship which I think works personality wise.

I always thought that he and Dr. Teeth would be pretty tight, being pianist and all, and obviously I think Rowlf, Piggy, and Janice get along well cause of their Vet's Hospital sketches. In fact, many of the jazz standards were usually done with Rolwf playing piano, which of course is interesting as, technically Dr. Teeth does play piano; I mean, a keyboard is just a electric/portable version of one.

But with that said, I think you'll find that every author has their own preference in regards to characters and friendship - for example, I think Piggy and Floyd (and Gonzo) have a frienemy relationship with each other. No proof, I just happen to like that idea.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I think Piggy and Floyd (and Gonzo) have a frienemy relationship with each other. No proof, I just happen to like that idea.
You didn't imagine it or make it up--it was well-documented in TMS. Floyd is always making cracks about Piggy, and he hated Foo Foo. I can soooo see her ankle-biting him just to watch him look his "cool." In the Tony Randall episode, when Piggy has accidentally been turned into a stone statue, Floyd goes so far as to light a match off of Piggy's petrified backside--this was after he made joke after joke about her while she was "statue-fied" and couldn't doing anything about it. In one ep, he put Foo Foo in a drawer. So the feud was definitely established in TMS.