The Electric Company DVD

Ethan Lopez

Reaction score
Thought you might be interested in this. The Electric Company is coming out on DVD February 7th. It'll feature 24 of the original 780 episodes. And get this... it's not for kids! Just kidding, it's not intended for kids, although if they happen to view it, they might enjoy it.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Just posted about this yesterday, Ethan Lopez. :smile: The news of this actually came out in June and a thread was started about it. It looks like the discs will be a "best of" with 24 episodes, which will be really fun to see again. Can't wait!

Here's the thread

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Ethan Lopez said:
Thought you might be interested in this. The Electric Company is coming out on DVD February 7th. It'll feature 24 of the original 780 episodes. And get this... it's not for kids! Just kidding, it's not intended for kids, although if they happen to view it, they might enjoy it.
this should be in the General discussions section but thanks for the info.

ssetta

Reaction score
Okay, now let's think how this can relate to the Classic SS topic. Now, since they're releasing 24 classic TEC episodes on DVD, then why can't they release that many classic SS episodes??

MuppetDude

Reaction score
A) Each episode is an hour long, so only three episodes per disc can fit; that'd be 8 discs for a box set. Sounds like too many discs to me.

B) Maybe it's a test to see if other SW classic stuff can sell well. (I've got my fingers crossed for this one.)

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
this should be in the General discussions section but thanks for the info.

Oh, geez. Here we go again.

Mike - why do you continue to rain on everyone's parade?

Electric Company has as much relevance to classic Sesame Street, as both programs pretty much went hand-in-hand back in the '70's.

And surprisingly enough, many of the people who GREW UP watching and loving classic SS also watched and loved TEC. You're probably too young to remember.

So, I think Ethan's information should stay here rather than getting BURIED in the "general" discussion" where I would NEVER have found it.

------

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmm... 3 epsiodes per disk... UNLESS it's double sided or dual layer. Otherwise, you'd need 8 disks! Double sides will only need 4.

I understand the machinations of releasing classic TEC, and not Classic SS.... but my question is why is that such a good reason? (by which I mean, the idiot parent shoving old SS DVD's in the player to shut their kids up would be a problem)

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Hmmm... 3 epsiodes per disk... UNLESS it's double sided or dual layer. Otherwise, you'd need 8 disks! Double sides will only need 4.

I understand the machinations of releasing classic TEC, and not Classic SS.... but my question is why is that such a good reason? (by which I mean, the idiot parent shoving old SS DVD's in the player to shut their kids up would be a problem)

Lemme see if I can view this from the Sesame Workshop's perspective:

TEC is off the air, SS isn't. It has more of a 1970's retro feel, so nostalgic parents are more likely to buy into that. Plus, the novelty of having new Oscar winner Morgan Freeman in the cast is likely to be a major draw.

And if TEC does well, who's to say that they won't be putting out classic SESAME STREET? They kind of already are, with the old 1980's videos like LEARNING ABOUT LETTERS, COUNT IT HIGHER, PLAY ALONG GAMES AND SONGS, etc. which were made close to 20 years ago.

But believe me, I would DIE to have the first season of Sesame.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe Sesame Workshop could release a collection of Sesame Street DVDs with only skits and no linking footage. They could just include skits from up to 1980 (or 1990, or 1995, etc). Or perhaps Sesame Workshop could release some four-disc sets with a limited number of full episodes on each disc.

Or maybe Sesame Workshop could release some classic multi-part epsiodes in a similar way to how the hurricane episodes were released. Maybe a DVD with the Hurricane episodes, maybe with all scenes that have to do with the plot.Or perhaps a DVD with both of the episodes with C3PO and R2D2 (although if Sesame Workshop wanted to do this, they should have released them when Star Wars Episode 3 was released).

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I forgot all about dual-layer discs! Thanks! :smile:

I liked GelflingWaldo's idea; a compilation of clips from five-season time periods. (1969-1974, 1974-1979, etc.)