The eBay Muppet Knock-off Thread

puppetise

Reaction score
this looks familiar strangly familiar my law degree came in a box of cereal im now after the harvard degree

MWoO

Reaction score
It is illegal to sell unlicensed replicas of the puppets, whether you think it's wrong or not is another story. Personally, I don't see it as wrong since Disney won't be selling actual puppets anytime soon, though they havel icense poser replicas.

Fact is no one is getting rich off of these and the people that buy these are probably really big fans that just want to screw around with a muppet. If you are a muppet fan and can build replicas and you can share them with others I see no problem with that, even if it is illegal. It's a victimless crime. Now, if you start using them to do your own productions and stuff, then yeah there is a problem. Besides, none of these puppets are exactly "replicas" since very few actually look like the real thing.

puppetmancan

Reaction score
isn't it late for a young girl to be up? anyways robin is fine, haven't seen better, kermits mouth was a little off, but his other features are perfect. this is my first kermit. everyone loves it.

puppetise

Reaction score
im a dude and its only 530pm im in australia and i liked urs i said jks at the end as in jokes

intozlight

Reaction score
There is a actually a reason why they don't sell puppets if you really think about it. It is beacause the characters are puppets! They don't want them being performed anywhere else without permission.

I dont have a problem with anyone wanting to build one for themselves, and frankly I dont think they do either. However, when you perform or sell for profit, that is another matter. And as far as a victimless crime... I guess it depends on whether or not it's your original stuff that's being stolen.

And puppetman, yours are very good replicas. But that is precisely why you should be careful. I dont think they would spend too much time bothering with someone's work that obviously didn't resemble the real thing.

Keep up the good work and the discussions guys.

Director Davies
ripplesministry.org

muppetperson

Reaction score
Well, they do sell Muppet puppets that are licensed but they havent agreed to a spot on replica puppet so when or if someone uses them, fans can tell they arent the real mcCoy.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I think the topic is staring to go off the deep end here. Posting your oppinion about copyright issues and replicas on ebay is one thing, but it's a sad sad day when the puppet community starts attacking eachother for their own beliefs and oppions..... especially when you start attacking eachothers work.

All you people who make replicas, face it, what you are doing IS illegal and some builders, fans, etc, will find it offensive. This is a place where they want to vent. And just like you say "if you don't like it, don't bid", well.... if you don't like what people are saying then don't partake in the post. Coming in and calling grown men little girls only adds fuel to the fire and your not proving any point regarding the topic. You have a right to your own oppinon, if you want to make replicas and sell them, it's your choice to do so. Not everyone has to agree with it, and not everyone is going to like it. I think most who make replicas are aware of the law (otherwise why try so hard to make a darn good replica, and then type your desciptions as if it were something else?), and by nature, you ought to know that some people are going to be up in arms over it.

Some of the work is VERY good, some of it needs a little improvement. The main thing is that people should stick to the topic and share their oppinons about the topic rather than attack each other just because they don't agree.

I probably couldn't make a very good muppet replica if I tried, that doesn't mean that I am not a talented builder..... it just means that I don't have experience copying someone elses work. Do I agree with replicating another person's art? No, I don't, but I'm also not going to rip into them either.... it's not my copyright to protect. Now if it were my characters, I'd coem after them with big bad hairy lawyers behind me (or just my mother). But I think thats Disney's job in this case.

Personally, I sure would like to see more original work from some of these builders though...... cause man, if they can build that then just think of the stuff that they could create on their own if they applied some imagination!

Just my two cents.
-Michele