The Don Bluth Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I loved Don Bluth's movies growing up, they were quite the departure from traditional animated features of the time: when most animated movies were all bright and cheerful with happy-go-lucky characters, Bluth's movies were a little darker, with characters that were multi-dimensional, and we actually delved into their personalities and saw what made them tick. At the same time, the animation in his movies was really impressive as well, and quite imaginative.

Personally, my favorite Don Bluth movie is the under-rated Rock-a-Doodle: I recently watched Nostalgia Critic's review of it, and while I can understand his opinion of the movie, since it really didn't make too much sense, but then again, a majority of the movie was a dream sequence, and dreams don't always make sense, lol. Again, it was just a really imaginative movie, and I liked the overall story, animation, coloring, production designing, etc.

And has anyone noticed a majority of his movies feature Dom DeLuise voicing the sidekick of the good guy, and Charles Nelson-Reilly voicing the sidekick of the bad guy?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I loved Don Bluth's movies growing up, they were quite the departure from traditional animated features of the time: when most animated movies were all bright and cheerful with happy-go-lucky characters, Bluth's movies were a little darker, with characters that were multi-dimensional, and we actually delved into their personalities and saw what made them tick. At the same time, the animation in his movies was really impressive as well, and quite imaginative.

Personally, my favorite Don Bluth movie is the under-rated Rock-a-Doodle: I recently watched Nostalgia Critic's review of it, and while I can understand his opinion of the movie, since it really didn't make too much sense, but then again, a majority of the movie was a dream sequence, and dreams don't always make sense, lol. Again, it was just a really imaginative movie, and I liked the overall story, animation, coloring, production designing, etc.

And has anyone noticed a majority of his movies feature Dom DeLuise voicing the sidekick of the good guy, and Charles Nelson-Reilly voicing the sidekick of the bad guy?
Yes! The only Don Bluth movie with otherwise was the underrated a Troll in Central Park where he plays the star. I enjoy all his movies except Titan AE, and Dragon's Lair which to this day I have not seen.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't hold Troll in Central Park too favorably as far as his movies go, but that could be just me.

One thing I don't understand is... WHY did it take so long for us to get a Land Before Time TV series? After YEARS of direct-to-video cheapquels, didn't it stand to reason they might as well make a TV series off of it?

And another thing that's interesting is that the screenplays for a few of these movie were written by SST writers Judy Freudberg and Tony Geiss.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I don't know. I actually enjoyed them, but I was around 6 at the time so I didn't really know much better.A Troll in Central park is not just your opinion,most others think so but they're all my childhood, with Anastasia which I saw in middle school to a lessre extent.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I love Rock a Doodle. Apparently, when I was younger, I would make my mom watch it with me over and over and over when I was sick XD

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I love Rock a Doodle. Apparently, when I was younger, I would make my mom watch it with me over and over and over when I was sick XD
That's so cute! I remebered when I was once at the Doctors office when I was a little boy, I was so excited to see a Patou toy and tried looking for the others, but it was only him.:grr:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just read something disturbing that I HOPE is false information... but apparently Don Bluth's second half cousin... is Mitt Romney! :eek:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The Republican presidential hopeful who wants to cut all funding for PBS and turn it into a commercial channel, even going as far as to say, "We're not going to kill Big Bird, but Big Bird has to have advertisements".

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
The Republican presidential hopeful who wants to cut all funding for PBS and turn it into a commercial channel, even going as far as to say, "We're not going to kill Big Bird, but Big Bird has to have advertisements".
:mad:He better not!