The Doctor Who Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
This just in! The next Doctor will be Peter Capaldi!

This else just in! Has anybody seen anything he's been in? Apart from The Fires of Pompeii, I've got nothing. And, follow up, do you think he's a nice fit?
I wanted someone more like Ben Wishaw. He's a fantastic actor with a long list of credentials that includes the new Q in the last Bond film.
Peter Capaldi seems like a step backwards into the old series. I must admit to not following that. We'll see what happens. Considering the number of regenerations (and the close of the last episode), this should be the final Doctor. However, they can always write around that.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Matt Smith, and he was my first Doctor. It'll be hard to get used to someone else now as that role.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Matt Smith, and he was my first Doctor. It'll be hard to get used to someone else now as that role.
I've liked all the new Doctors since Eccleston. I'm just not sold on this character actor being cast as the lead in the regeneration.

There was talk of ending the series and creating a series of theatrical pictures. Not sure how I feel about that. This works better as a series. They were basically movies when they had two-parters. Also, if you don't like a particular story another one will come along soon. If the plot of a theatrical movie is lame, we'll have to wait several years for the next one or they cancel plans altogether.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
When was that an option? I know there's supposedly one in the works with David Yates at the helm, but ending the series to do it? Just seems like asking for hatred.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
When was that an option? I know there's supposedly one in the works with David Yates at the helm, but ending the series to do it? Just seems like asking for hatred.
I don't understand what you're asking. It seems that you've answered your own question.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I knew there was supposedly one in the works, but the 'ending the series to do it' part was news to me. When and where did that come up?

Animal31

Reaction score
I knew there was supposedly one in the works, but the 'ending the series to do it' part was news to me. When and where did that come up?
David Tennant's final season was pretty much TV specials, could that be what everyone was talking about?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think he'll be BRILLIANT! Ben is cool, but it would basically be a Matt Smith clone. Peter C is taking it in a totally different direction, rather than getting constantly younger and younger doctors. I'd LOVE to see him interacting with Riversong. I've been calling for an older, wiser, quieter and more intelligent Doctor for a while and I think they've made the right choice over all!

Can't wait to see how it works. He was utterly spell binding in the Torchwood series Children of Men.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It was in the same speculative articles surrounding the development over a year ago.
__________​
I still think this Doctor is a step backwards and may result in the show reverting back to a beloved niche series rather than the wider appeal it has now. After watching the clips of the latest actor, I have a very hard time understanding his thicker accent and the charisma hasn't translated much either. I'll stick with the show. I just think they should have gone a different route with the show runner rather than the Doctor casting. I actually liked that he'd become a younger, more vital Doctor. It amused me how he seemed to get younger with each regeneration. I would have at least preferred a ginger actor. :eek:

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
This just in! The next Doctor will be Peter Capaldi!

This else just in! Has anybody seen anything he's been in? Apart from The Fires of Pompeii, I've got nothing. And, follow up, do you think he's a nice fit?

Now that you mention it, his most well known role is from a show called 'The Thick of It', where he plays a foul mouthed character call Malcolm. I don't know much about it other than it's my boyfriend's favourite show, so naturally he was ecstatic to hear Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor.

I like the promise of a quiet, respectable, wise, serious, older Doctor (ala Harnell and Pertwee) but I have a feeling that might not be the case. I mean, you remember when they released the first pictures of Matt Smith's Doctor and everyone thought he was going to be dark and brooding?

Despite that, I'm sure whatever they have planned for No. 12 will be great! At least, I hope so because Season 7, while had a few good episodes, was overall pretty weak and Steven Moffat is still writing, which I have very mixed feeling about.