The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths - Spoilers

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got finished reading the Dark Crystal Creation myths and a few questions popped into my head reading. Okay I've probably read everything there is to read about the Dark Crystal, call it one of my obsessions if you will, so I probably know more about Thra and it's history than the normal person would ...
So the first thing that really jarred me was the Urskek's trying to get back to their own planet, which they were trying to purify themselves and that's how we got the UrRu and the Skeksis ... second, the crystal shard flew up and out of the chamber not down ... that's why the Skeksis took fake shards and spread them over the world ... and wasn't it stated that the Skeksis were beautiful and pleasing to look at when they were first "born" ? slightly confused by these changes, unless the person whoever it is, telling the story in the comic got it wrong, and they did that on purpose. Anyone have any thing else to add, something that was changed? And who do you think that is telling the story? At first I thought it was Jen or Kira but now I'm not so sure ...

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
From what you're saying, it sounds like the comic contains a lot of continuity errors and confusing points. Having never read the comic, I can't be exact, but I've seen the movie several times and if I pick apart the movie plot points with the information you've given me, it seems that there's a pretty good explanation for some of the inconsistencies.
The original movie never specifies that they were from another planet... That's a little weird... I can kind of see the whole purification error... I know plenty of people have things they don't like about themselves but they actually turn out to be good, even necessary qualities... It's a little bit like fraggle rock's Boober and Sidebottom... And it's obvious that the Uru and Skeksis are connected...
It sounds to me that the discrepancies with the crystal could be caused by lack of reference material, but I never had a chance to read the comic, so I couldn't say for sure... The other planets thing sounds like something that was added in to flesh out the story. You have me intrigued now… Can you still track this comic down in regular stores?

And while I'm on here, I might as well ask, does Fizgig remind any of you of your dogs? He is so like one of mine that it scares me.

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
In stores, I don't know. Probably, seeing as it just came out. It's called The Dark Crystal: Creation myths. It was stated before this comic that the Urskek's were from another planet ... and I just re-read my post, the thing that jarred me wasn't that they were from another planet, in the comic they were just trying to go back to their own planet, in the books etc, they were trying to purify themselves so they COULD go back I think in the World Of The Dark Crystal, in the book Of Aughra it says. And yes, Fizzgig does remind me of my dog.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Yes, it bothered me too. In the World of DC book they were trying to purify themselves. I dont know why they changed it.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Well, at first I was not too happy about Raunip. I mean Aughra was alone, the first and last. But in Vol. 2 we can see he is not really her son.

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
Hopefully in Volume 3 it's clarified, like "That's the way "..." saw it happen, but that's not how it was." We can hope they do that, it will appease fans who know the story of the Song of Aughra. It also stated, if I remember right, that Aughra laid down ... I think it was under The Crystal, and closed one eye, so she could see the first great conjunction, and that only she and the Urskeks witnessed it. Brian Froud himself is working on the comic too ... you would think they would have asked him for input ...

Laszlo

Reaction score
I dont know how much input Froud had on the story.Maybe it was his idea to change things?
But aside from these differences I do love the comics!

Uwizll

Reaction score
and wasn't it stated that the Skeksis were beautiful and pleasing to look at when they were first "born"

Yes! When I grabbed Creation Myths Volume 2 I couldn't wait to see what the Skeksis and urRu looked like. Pssh! Talk about disappointed. They look exactly the same! This is supposed to take place before their bodies became "cruel and twisted."

I love The Dark Crystal. I wish they would, I dunno, let a fan take a crack at crafting a DC story.

That is, without restrictions. I feel like I know the DC universe like it were my own creation. I understand the story and universe enough to weave a story that fits in place just fine wherever I chose to place it. When the novel-writing contest is updated to accept any and all stories, then I'll totally be down for it. Until then...

(Okay, I'm still going to try for it. I'm a sucker for an opportunity like this!)

cookietribe

Reaction score
and wasn't it stated that the Skeksis were beautiful and pleasing to look at when they were first "born"

Yes! When I grabbed Creation Myths Volume 2 I couldn't wait to see what the Skeksis and urRu looked like. Pssh! Talk about disappointed. They look exactly the same! This is supposed to take place before their bodies became "cruel and twisted."
Yeah I was thinking that the Skeksis maybe looked younger, smoother, had less extravagant garb and were less evil. The urRu maybe stood more upright on two legs, had neater, brighter robes and weren't as slow and passive. In general both of them would have maybe looked younger and were more diplomatic, creative and capable then when they eventually started to grow old, hunchbacked, sick, demented, slow, more corrupt or passive until they died or became the urSkeks again as in the film.

Uwizll

Reaction score
I kind of wish that the Skeksis designs in Creation Myths didn't all look like the skekSil when his robes were stripped. There is 1,000 years between the two stories. I wanted to see the Skeksis and urRu just a bit meatier and stronger, I guess.

Yeah I was thinking that the Skeksis maybe looked younger, smoother, had less extravagant garb and were less evil. The urRu maybe stood more upright on two legs, had neater, brighter robes and weren't as slow and passive. In general both of them would have maybe looked younger and were more diplomatic, creative and capable then when they eventually started to grow old, hunchbacked, sick, demented, slow, more corrupt or passive until they died or became the urSkeks again as in the film.
Thanks for your comments, cookietribe. I love the way you described the Mystics/Skeksis there. Fantasic.

The new Mystic urVa and the new Skeksis skekMal sound intriguing:

URVA THE ARCHER
Noted for his expertise in archery. Quick of foot. Quick of wit. Of all the Mystics, urVa
is the most adept at their powerful four-armed martial arts. If he could be turned to
serve us, he would be a powerful tool.
SKEKMAL THE HUNTER
Although he considers himself a "sportsman," skekMal is nothing more than a brutal
hunter. The wildest of the Skeksis, he frightens even his own kind. He uses all manner
of traps and bears a scar across his face. Lightning fast, he can actually dodge arrows
and disappear into the trees in front of him. And whatever he catches . . . he generally
eats. Although most Gelfling clans do not know skekMal, they know the legend of "the
Hunter" and they know that no one has ever escaped alive. SkekMal uses a 'spirit-like'
mask to conceal his true identity.
They both sound like they're incredibly agile and fast. Can't wait to read/write about these two. Very interesting.