The Critic Voice Artists

Xerus

Reaction score
XERUS’S VOICE ARTIST FOCUS:

Today’s V/A focus is that 90’s adult cartoon, The Critic. About the life of a New York film critic named Jay Sherman where he give his opinions on lots of crazy movie spoofs and has to deal with the actions of his co-workers, his family, and scenes with celebrities, whose voices are usually impersonated. Jay was voiced by Saturday Night Live star, Jon Lovitz. “Hotchie Motchie” or “It Stinks!” were Jay’s famous catchphrases.

JON LOVITZ: Jay Sherman
NANCY CARTWRIGHT: Margo Sherman
CHRISTINE CAVANAUGH: Marty Sherman
GERRIT GRAHAM: Franklin Sherman
DORIS GRAU: Doris
JUDITH IVEY: Eleanor Sherman
NICK JAMESON: Vlada Veramirovich
MAURICE LAMARCHE: Jeremy Hawke, Additional Voices
CHARLES NAPIER: Duke Phillips
PARK OVERALL: Alice Tompkins
KATH SOUCIE: Additional Voices
RUSSI TAYLOR: Penny Tompkins
BRENDA VACCARO: Ardeth Sherman

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know? This as the best show! I hate it didn't last longer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maurice was, often times, the alternate voice for Jay... he can do absolute dead on celebrity impersonations, and it's hard not to hear his voice every minute of the show. Now, I remember the episode where they made a parody of Aladdin's Genie, where Disney made a remake of Pinocchio with Robin Williams as the Brown Fairy... and Maurice was absolutely dead on.

In fact, he used that very impersonation on Tiny Toons, and for the longest time, I thought it actually WAS Robin.

Xerus

Reaction score
I always liked it when Maurice voiced Orson Welles on The Critic whether he was in an old film or a ghost. Orson was always seen stuffing food in his mouth. :smile:

My most favorite character on the show is Franklin Sherman. Jay's drunken insane father who's always saying and doing crazy things.

FRANKLIN: "I didn't ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the balloon doggies demanded it."

And I liked the episode where Franklin dressed up like El Kabong and started banging his dinner guests on the heads with a guitar.

Or when Franklin once said, "I am no longer wearing this toupee!" and he rips his hair off.

JAY: "But Dad, you don't wear a toupee."

FRANKLIN: "I will from now on."

Everything that Franklin says and does just makes me laugh. :smile: