The Complete History of Mahna Mahna and his alter ego Bip Bipadotta

Thijs

Reaction score
Mahna Mahna didn't appear in Muppets Tonight. The Snowths did, but Kermit and Sandra took MahnaMahna's role.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They had a lot of fun with records from the mid-70's through 1985. Often times they would make up fun names for singers, groups or Sesame employees like "Ambrooze Sisters" even though the characters weren't on the show.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Phil did you at one time have "Air" credited to Bip on MC Radio? Or did I imagine that? :smirk:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, he sings a version of "Air". In fact it was on Sesame Street last week.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Okay, I must have mixed up my versions of "Air" then because the version that goes "well get some air, air, air, send for your supply today. Air, air, air, it's the bargain of the day!" is credited to Guy Smiley on the Jim Henson SS Tribute CD.

The version that aired last week was new to me. I liked it enough to get an MP3 of it too :cool:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK then, Phil and ssetta, in your professional opinion...
Since the Ambrooze/Androoze Sisters never appeared on Sesame Street nor any of the illustrted books, and was just a name without a face on the record's tracks...
Should I discredit this entry from my master Muppet Listings or should I keep it as a justified entry?
Thanks for your help and have a good day.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The song you have listed was Guy Smiley.

There's also another version of Mahna Mahna that is a bigger mouthed puppet, with shades, that looked like it was the size of Ernie or Count, with moving hands it seems like to me.

My Mahna is coming along beautifully. I have the orange fur and will be applying the hairline and beard with it, and adding the feather hair afterwards.

I'm still in need of Kelly Green colored fur, long-pile shag.

Croe, the pics you've put here make for great reference for me.

When I get this one done, I'll be beginning the second Mahna Mahna.

I've decided against attempting to make the eyes blink, btw. I also didn't follow through with the MuppetFest-esque detachable left eye! LOL!!!

scarecroe

Reaction score
Hey Kev, where did you see the bigger Mahna Mahna? The best look I can get at him in the 30th Celebration special is in the screenshot I posted earlier in the thread. The same scene just happens to be in the video clip I made for Barry's Muppet Monster Database.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
WOW! They DID make him super big there!!

Maybe it was the same one I'm thinking of from Sesame Street? I don't know, but seems it had on shades, but was pretty big for the puppet.

FIZZ, I mean, FOZ

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by sweet201

And Splurge - I agree. I love Mahna Mahna, but my 1 1/2 year old son is scared to death of him in *any* of his incarnations. When he sees that muppet, he runs for mommy every time. :eek:
Awww..... well I can understand his being scared of the 1969 Mahna Mahna on Sesame Street. That's a pretty freaky, crude looking thing with an eerie voice. At least the one on the Muppet Show is cute..... well, cuter.