The Clarence thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
Something tells me that those kids made all those deviled eggs themselves (only Jeff has been established as a good cook), hence why Clarence and everyone else got food poisoning. And I love how the school principal is like a male version of the DJ from The Warriors with Synchro-Vox lips straight out of Clutch Cargo.

And Kimby has a thing for werewolves. Apparently, they're the new vampires.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure if anyone ate 500 of anything, they'd get bad food poisoning. Surprised they didn't go for the obvious "constantly on the toilet" joke, and I commend them for that. But you gotta love Clarence in this episode. He didn't shrug off the challenge so much was was overeager to comply. He didn't even let a little thing like being seriously ill as a result stop him from going back to school with his friends.

Actually, now that I think about it, the Clarence Dollar was an unintended foreshadowing of Belson trying to one up Clarence and failing. Just as he tried Belson Bucks, he pathetically tried eating a garbage bag full of scrambled eggs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Saw the Ducktales parody from the Clarence's Millions episode again and it hit me.

The clip from the Ducktales theme song they were referencing/invoking in Clarence's nightmare sequence was from Scrooge's Nightmare sequence in an episode. At least, I'm sure it is. Probably unintentional.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like Belson's dignity has further gone down the drain, no thanks to his mother disciplining him in an effective manner. Leave it to a parent to ruin things that you love forever. :big_grin:

And on the flipside, you've just gotta love how Mary Wendell successfully encouraged Clarence to help her clean up the house by turning it into an epic quest.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love what that episode had to say. Belson's mother essentially indulges the heck out of him and refuses to discipline him. He essentially gets everything he wants, and as a result he's a jerk and forces kids to hang out with him because he demands friends. His mother prepared that loving meal for the sleepover guests that one time, and Belson pulled out that cheap box of cereal for himself.

Meanwhile, Belson has since lost his small amount of favor with the kids, probably causing him to act out more and become even more entitled at home. His mother finally found a way to get to him and punished him properly (up until the end when she took it all back). We've seen Belson act like an idiot trying to be as popular as Clarence last episode and that was a good comeuppance. This time, he really got it. Not in the falling through the skylight to prank someone and end up with Clarence in the emergency room sort of way, but a deeply satisfying act of parental justice.

And high praise on how Mary cleaning everything before the maid getting there was handled. Marge Simpsons did the same thing, but only as her usual role as the overly housewify housewife. Here, we had a Middle Middle to Lower Middle income single parent family that doesn't know what to make of having a maid. She even sits down and talks to her about why she cleaned everything up before hand. Another nice contrast between Clarence and Belson. Clarence has a better relationship with his mother, and that leads to Clarence willing to help, though under a guise of a game.

Oh... and love the Jimmy Heart cover of the Super Mario Land overworld theme. They did their research on that one. Mario is really over-referenced and all. Nice someone found a more obscure angle.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Finally picked up Adventure Time #38, and found out something on the back cover (which should be blatantly obvious as to what, considering the thread I'm posting this in)... Clarence is the latest CN show to get a comic book series from BOOM. Of course, seems that Gumball, Steven Universe, and Uncle Grandpa are all over (minus some specials), so I don't know how long this one's going to last.

But yeah. It comes out just when Archie's 4 way Mega Man and all 3 Sonic Comics cross over and I have to buy at least 2 more per month, dropping 2 others to fit it. But I'll try to get issue 1 to see how this one's going to work out. For those that are keeping score...

Adventure Time has multiple issue part story arcs following a parallel continuity, as well as Regular Show. Gumball is single issue stories similar to the cartoon in comic form. Steven Universe and Uncle Grandpa are multiple short comics (in the case of Steven Universe, without even touching continuity and keeping it light). I can see Clarence being a multiple short comics type deal.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So this "Damien" guy must be Mary's ex-husband. Now there's a mystery I'd like to see revealed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That episode was something for the adults. Clarence was a supporting character in this episode and it was really about Chad and Mary dealing with the overbearing mother. I found mentioning the Ex-husband over and over a great touch, and there's some great story potential for that. Something tells me Damien was pretty cold and unloving. Sounds like he just got up and left, rather than a more drawn out divorce. Clarence's one off line in another episode about how he "used to have a Dad, but now [he has] a Chad," not to mention how much he really likes Chad must be a clue about why Damien left.

I really like how they did a more adult situation themed episode. You really never know what you're going to get with Clarence, and that's what makes the show special. Sometimes it's kids just doing wacky stuff, sometimes it's subversive humor. You really get a lot of variety on this series.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I liked the Dukes of Hazzard-esque narrator in the latest episode. Certainly was an interesting change of pace by having it told from a storybook. And that ending was pure crazy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It sounds like one of the two backwoods bullies was voiced by the kid who plays Brick. Such a lost opportunity he didn't get a scene with fellow ABC sitcom voiced kid Jeff.

Love how Clarence has a soft spot for pigs. Obviously he looks like them, but maybe because he raises chickens he has a handle on small farm life. Loved how completely Western Fair Groundsy the pig chasing competition was. Right down to the overly Patriotic song playing in the background.