The Clarence thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dude...

Jeff's parents are a lesbian couple! I bet One Trillion Bums is going to whine about it, but good for Clarence for being so progressive. And I thought the slight hint of a gay couple in "Neighborhood Grill" was amazing.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Dude...

Jeff's parents are a lesbian couple! I bet One Trillion Bums is going to whine about it, but good for Clarence for being so progressive. And I thought the slight hint of a gay couple in "Neighborhood Grill" was amazing.
If I may quote Buster Baxter: "That's a lot of moms!" :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay. How come Clarence doesn't have his own "Getting Crap past the Radar" page on TVTropes?

I can't believe I missed this one. But they showed the Supermarket episode again yesterday and I caught the name of the detergent that was the subject of the Price is Right parody.

Wet Gleem.

And I swear it had a picture of a sheet hanging on the line on it.

Yeah. Between that and the "IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!" quote... I'm at a loss for words.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the latest episode. Clarence and Sumo get suspended and manage to learn all sorts of things from other people that they couldn't otherwise in school, and put that to really good use. It's a nice twist on the usual "kid gets suspended or plays hooky and bad things happen to him/her" Aesop that shows like Hey Arnold and Rocket Power have done.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Between that and the Red Rider's Academy episode, this show has some pretty subversive messages about public education. And that's wonderful.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks geese are the most evil birds in the avian universe. I'd sooner befriend an ostrich or even a cassowary (you know, those flightless birds that can disembowel people with a single kick) than a goose. :concern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems like between Say Uncle, Goldfish Follies and that weird Regular Show half hour special, CN really blew it's chance for some great April Fool's programming.

I really liked seeing odd variations on current technology played in a 1930's style cartoon. Gotta love that iCan.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I don't know how they were able to get that grainy, washed-out, distorted, splice-filled look to the latest episode to make it look like a real golden age cartoon. Did they do it digitally or use real analog film stock? Either way, it's pretty darned impressive. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else love how Jeff was just as goofy as Clarence when he was stuck in the well and Sumo was the voice of reason? Sure, Jeff was losing it, but I love those times where Sumo becomes the brains of the outfit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If this episode didn't prove that Belson has serious problem, I don't know which one will. Every attempt of him trying to be a complete tool to Clarence backfires, causing him to look like an even bigger jerk every time. And every instance, Clarence is beloved by all, causing him to one up him horribly. I swear that his "friends" only hang out with him because of his money and he makes them. It's a nice touch to the series. As much as the Charlie Brown expy was seen as an antithesis of Clarence, so isn't Belson. And remember, the pilot episode had Clarence barely making any friends. As the show goes on, everyone adores Clarence, and Belson gets shunned by the entire student body, minus the kids he forces to be his friends. That's a nice little heartwarming message for the series. Clarence was the overly optimistic kid that couldn't make friends at first, but by staying positive and outgoing, he earns the love and respect of his peers. Belson's a jerk, he's lost all clout he had with the school, and soon enough even the kids he makes hang out with him won't hang out with him. I hope they keep that thread up.

Also, poor Joshua. He's completely lost it and gained weight in "Chimney." He's a jerk and all, but not even Belson deserves that.