"The Choice"--A Fraggle Rock FanFic

Convincing John

Reaction score
Chapter 2

And here's Chapter 2:

The minstrel in the gallery looked down upon the smiling faces...--Ian Anderson 'Minstrel in the Gallery'

Chapter Two-- “The Arrival of the Sage”

The Fraggle Five became quiet and listened carefully. From a quiet tunnel off to the left, a low noise echoed in the early morning breeze. The sound changed pitch, lower, then higher, then lower again.

Someone was playing music.

As the Fraggles listened, the music, like different pitches of calm wind, came closer. Its musician was approaching steadily.

The mouth of the tunnel (like many in the Great Hall) displayed clumps of flowers among the cave moss. As the music came closer, the flowers bloomed in seconds. Boober noticed a yellow bud by his feet. He watched as the bud opened and unfurled its petals in response to the enchanting melody.

From the shadows of the tunnel, something emerged. It was a pair of entwined, conical tubes, one silver-green, one purple. A pair of tanned, wide hands moved gracefully along the tubes as the melody continued. Sleeves of the silvery, thick robe emerged next, followed by the face.

The slender, golden yellow nose and mouth came first. They were framed with a short layer of slightly darker fur, with an outer coating of feathery hair and a goatee which ranged from a light pink to a deep maroon. The eyes followed, round, somewhat sleepy-lidded, but very much alert. These eyes looked upon the group of Fraggles with their wise, discerning gaze.

A few, final notes brought the tune to an end and the figure took the forked mouthpiece of the instrument from his lips. He held up one open palmed hand in greeting.

“Hail, Fraggles!” he announced.

“Hail, Cantus!” the Fraggle Five chorused.

The first thing the Fraggles noticed was that Cantus was alone. Usually that meant that Cantus had some important task or responsibility relating to a significant event. The rest of the Minstrels traveled to the Great Hall on occasion, but usually they stopped by just to share their music.

“It sure is great to see you, Cantus!” said Gobo.

“Really great!” echoed Wembley.

“Play for us, please?” asked Red.

“There will be music…but first a task must be done.” Cantus watched as the Fraggles glanced at each other.

“Wh-what kind of task?” Boober asked timidly. With Cantus, “task” could mean a lot of things.

“You will know when you need to know,” Cantus answered. He then noticed the postcard in Gobo‘s hand. “Ah, I see your uncle is still traveling beyond the Rock.”

Gobo looked at the card in his hand and back up at Cantus. “Yeah, I got this postcard from him just this morning.”

“Hmmm….” Cantus nodded and thoughtfully scratched his beard.

“If you want, I can read it to you.” Gobo offered. Immediately, Cantus shook his head.

“No, that will not be necessary.”

Thank goodness! thought Red.

“But I am interested in your uncle’s travels, Gobo. With your permission, I would like to read the postcards he sent you.”

Gobo’s face lit up. “Sure! They’re all in the trunk in Wembley’s and my cave.”

“Good,” Cantus replied. “I will need time to read them, and then we can begin our task.” He held out a hand to accept the recent postcard from Gobo. Then without another word, he nodded to the Fraggle Five and strode off in the direction of Gobo and Wembley’s cave.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“I wonder why Cantus wanted to read Gobo’s Uncle Matt’s postcards.” Wembley wondered aloud.

They were gathered around the edge of the Fraggle Pond. Nearly an hour had passed, and they had tried to pass the time by playing games and singing, but their hearts weren’t in it. Their curiosity was growing too much to be ignored.

“Well, this is just a guess,” Gobo ventured. “but it’s possible that Cantus might’ve found another entrance to Outer Space.”

“He does travel a lot,” agreed Mokey. “it’s possible.” Just then, Boober shuddered.

“I just thought of something,” Boober’s voice cracked in fright. “what if Cantus saw something from Outer Space that somehow found its way into Fraggle Rock?”

“Oh, you mean like the Space Frog Gobo’s Uncle Matt brought back that time?” asked Wembley.

“Yecch! That thing was coated with germs!” Boober’s face crumpled at the memory. “Cantus probably saw a whole group of those slimy things crawling around in a nearby tunnel…”

“Aw, Boober, don‘t worry, 'ay?” assured Gobo. “Outer Space is full of Silly Creatures, not Space Frogs.”

“That’s even worse!” Boober complained. “Silly Creatures don’t belong here! They’d wreck everything!”

“Oh, no they wouldn’t, Boober.” Mokey tried to calm him down by giving his arm a little squeeze. Boober turned to face her.

“Oh really? Remember what they did to our water…and the Gorgs’ water?”

The other four Fraggles remembered it well. They all came close to dying in that crisis. Boober did have a point.

“Cantus mentioned a task,” Gobo thought aloud. He stood up. “but I wonder what it has to do with Outer Space. We should ask him.”

“If Cantus wants to go to Outer Space, or take something back to Outer Space, then he’ll tell us,” said Red. “frankly, I don’t see why he’d want to read your goofy uncle’s postcards.”

Ignoring Red’s last remark, Gobo turned around and began to walk in the direction of the cave he and Wembley shared.

“Gobo, where are you going?” asked Wembley.

“If Cantus needs to know about Outer Space, I know that I would be able to help him. Just wait here until I get back, ‘ay?” The other four Fraggles watched as Gobo disappeared down the tunnel.

Carefully, Gobo approached the entrance to his and Wembley's cave. If Cantus was still reading, he didn't want to disturb him.

Cantus was sitting on Gobo's bed. he was slightly hunched over, staring at a few of the postcards in his hand like an experienced gambler. The remainder of the postcards were sitting in a neat stack on top of Gobo's trunk.

"Come in, Gobo." said Cantus without turning around.

"How did you know it was me?" Gobo asked, a little surprised.

At this, Cantus laid down the postcards and smiled.

"I was listening."

Gobo entered and tried to suppress his curiosity as best as he could. There were so many questions in his mind. He wanted so much to ask Cantus about his travels. Where did he go? What had he seen? How did he become a Minstrel? But these questions had to wait. Gobo, being a determined Fraggle, kept his mind on the present task at hand.

"Cantus...um, we, well, I was wondering if you...since you wanted to read Uncle Matt's postcards, I could tell you about Outer Space, too. I've seen the hairy monster and the one Silly Creature that live in that first room."

Cantus briefly put his knuckles to his chin in consideration.
"Perhaps your observations can be of use, but your guidance will be of even greater use. We have a task that awaits us that requires your help."

"You mean...it has to do with Outer Space?" Gobo's heart skipped a beat as Cantus nodded.

"Yes, Gobo," Cantus replied. "but I am unsure of how it will proceed. Outer Space is not my concern...but it is yours. This is where I will need your assistance."

The main question at the back of Gobo's brain pushed its way out. He took a deep breath.
"Cantus...have you found another entrance to Outer Space?"

There was silence for a moment. Cantus's expression was somewhat concerned, as if he were hesitant to answer.

"The Minstrels and I have explored places that other Fraggles may not discover for centuries...or even at all," he paused as Gobo nodded, trying to understand what Cantus meant. "but there is one place we need to concern ourselves with. I believe it is a place still undiscovered by your uncle."

"Oh..." Gobo thought about all the places his Uncle Matt had explored. To him (and Uncle Matt) Outer Space and Fraggle Rock both seemed virtually infinite. "well, I'm sure that there are places that he hasn't explored yet."

"Yes," Cantus sighed and looked straight into Gobo's eyes. "fortunately, where we need to go isn't far. But unfortunately, where we need to go may be dangerous. Someone is in trouble there."

"Trouble?" Gobo blinked. "What's wrong?"

"We will find out together." Cantus stood up and quietly strode out of the cave with Gobo following him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More soon.

Convincing John

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Me thinks this is definitely destined for greatness.
References to the spacefrogs episode, and Gobo meeting Doc and Sprocket towards the end of the show's run...
Cantus! Yaey! The description was so perfect...
The postcards, and the task and the flower opening when Cantus neared, and everything else... It's so...
More please?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the compliments, Count.

More story will be posted very soon. Just had to do some research on an upcoming chapter.

Unless you count the Janis Joplin Muppet Show outline I wrote a while back, this is my first fanfic at MC. I appreciate all the comments, everyone.

Convincing John

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oy! I just read the latest chapter and on my the edge of my seat now! Where are they going? This is so exciting! Please, post more as soon as you have it!

Morgan Clueless

Reaction score
Ah, a new chapter. ^_^ And it still captures the essence of the actual series.

As the Fraggles listened, the music, like different pitches of calm wind, came closer. Its musician was approaching steadily.

The mouth of the tunnel (like many in the Great Hall) displayed clumps of flowers among the cave moss. As the music came closer, the flowers bloomed in seconds. Boober noticed a yellow bud by his feet. He watched as the bud opened and unfurled its petals in response to the enchanting melody.

From the shadows of the tunnel, something emerged. It was a pair of entwined, conical tubes, one silver-green, one purple. A pair of tanned, wide hands moved gracefully along the tubes as the melody continued. Sleeves of the silvery, thick robe emerged next, followed by the face.

The slender, golden yellow nose and mouth came first. They were framed with a short layer of slightly darker fur, with an outer coating of feathery hair and a goatee which ranged from a light pink to a deep maroon. The eyes followed, round, somewhat sleepy-lidded, but very much alert. These eyes looked upon the group of Fraggles with their wise, discerning gaze.
I absolutely love the detail here! :big_grin: The way it sounds so fluid and smooth, it was like imagining Cantus' appearance as elegant as an angel's flight. I'm speaking this not just from my mind, but from my heart. Your writing style is wonderful!

(Plus, it'd most likely own mine in, like, a second. >.>)

Keep up the good work!

- Morgan "Clueless" Goat

Convincing John

Reaction score
Keep your eyes open and prick up your ears ---
rehearse your loudest cry.
There's folk out there who would do you harm." --Ian Anderson 'No Lullaby'

The six of them traveled down one of the many tunnels that turned and twisted away from the bustle of the Great Hall. The sounds of singing, splashing and buzzing of the Doozer work crew became fainter and fainter as the Fraggles walked along.

"It is time for you to know the purpose of this journey. If we are careful, we can help someone who is in trouble."

"A rescue mission?" Red asked. "No problem! I've read all about the Elder Clan Adventure books, and I know how Princess Gwenelot got out of all kinds of dangers! I‘m sure what I‘ve found out will come in handy!"

"Who's in trouble?" Wembley asked. He was trotting alongside Cantus, doing his best to keep up with the
minstrel's loping steps. Boober, trailing along behind the group, gave a little whimper. Mokey saw Cantus's shoulders droop a little...or maybe it was just her imagination. At any rate, his pace slowed a little.

"All questions will be answered in time," he explained. "but keep in mind that you five will see something that no Fraggle has seen before..." he paused. "and hopefully no Fraggle will ever see again."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few Inkspots played leapfrog and climbed the short stalagmites in the spacious cave. One of them heard the approaching group and scuttled into an adjacent tunnel. The rest followed, some hopping, some rolling.

Gobo, who was following close behind Cantus, recognized the route they were taking. Could it be that they were going to...

"We are nearing the end of the beginning of our journey," Cantus explained. "and this is where you five come in."

"B-but why us?" Boober's voice quavered behind Mokey. The tone of his voice plainly said Why me?

"Good question," Cantus smiled. "this particular task requires a particular group. It requires a fearless guide, a loyal assistant, a determined and headstrong adventurer, a nurturing and sensitive den mother, and..." Cantus looked straight into Boober's hidden eyes. "...a knowledgeable doctor."

The other four Fraggles took in Cantus's compliments.

"Wow," whispered Wembley. "me a sensitive den mother? Well, I did take care of that baby Tree Creature..."

Gobo chuckled. "No, no, Wembley. Cantus means that you're a loyal assistant."

"Ohh, okay," agreed Wembley. "a den mother's loyal assistant. That's different." Mokey tittered behind him.

"Keeping this in mind," Cantus continued. "you five have these qualities and many more. You will use your qualities as we journey...there.

Cantus moved aside and pointed into the large cave. More specifically, he was pointing to an object in the center of it.

It was, to the average Fraggle eye, a raggedy version of a Fraggle scarecrow. Its yellow face was scarred and blunt, with its bright red tongue protruding straight at them. Its eyes were bulbous and somewhat menacing. They were framed with both scraggly, black hair and dried cave moss that had partially spilled out of the back of its hollowed head. Its battered arms stuck straight out to the sides, ending in old, stuffed gloves. The body was made completely from dingy, cobweb covered rags and torn cloth. The pole it was mounted on stood slightly crooked and seemed to be almost a part of the rocky floor. Partially surrounding it was a makeshift railing that also framed a closed trap door in the cave floor.

This was the entrance to the T. Matthew Fraggle Room.

Wordlessly, Cantus strode forward and gently pushed one of the "scarecrow's" stuffed hands. Obediently, it swung counterclockwise. The stone trap door descended into a small crevice in the floor, and became part of an underground ramp. The light from the cave below bathed the battered Fraggle scarecrow in a soft, orange light.

Slowly, the other Fraggles moved forward. Gobo was first. He had been down in the T. Matthew Fraggle Room many times with his Uncle Matt. He had even explored a few of the entrances to Outer Space with him.

Red looked down into the light caves below, remembering her frightening (yet exciting) encounter with the Blue Dragon who guarded the golden apples.

Wembley and Mokey had not been this close to the T. Matthew Fraggle Room before. Up until now, they had only heard the stories from Matt, Gobo and finally Red. They gazed down into the off-white tunnels in amazement.

"I don't understand, Cantus," Gobo asked, puzzled. "I thought we were going to help--" his face suddenly became alarmed. "Uncle Matt! Is Uncle Matt in trouble?"

Immediately, Cantus shook his head. "No, Gobo. Your uncle is not in any danger...but someone else beyond the Rock is."

"Did another Fraggle accidentally go into Outer Space like I did that time?" asked Red.

"No. Other than Traveling Matt, there are no other Fraggles beyond the Rock."

Wembley scratched his fuzzy, green head. "I don't get it. If there aren't any Fraggles in trouble, then who are we going to help?"

Cantus looked at the quizzical group, prepared to explain the news to them.

"There is someone in Outer Space who is very near the Rock...someone who is very, very ill. As we speak, he is becoming weaker...and without our intervention, he may perish."

Mokey's eyelids drooped sympathetically. "The poor thing!"

"But who is it? Who's sick?" asked Red.

"His name is not known...at least to us," Cantus answered, a serious look on his face. "but one thing is certain. he is a Silly Creature."

This surprised the Fraggles. They exchanged bewildered looks.

"A Silly Creature?" asked Gobo incredulously. "Why would a Silly Creature need our help?"

"It is in a Fraggle's nature to help those in need," Cantus reminded him. "this particular Silly Creature happens to live just beyond this cave...and he is in great, great need. We are near. So we will help him."

"But Gobo's Uncle Matt sees lots of Silly Creatures together in Outer Space. Don't they help each other?" Wembley idly fiddled with the tip of his tail as he looked from Cantus to the ramp leading down.

"Sometimes," Cantus responded. His gaze lifted to a distant corner of the cave. A tone of sadness could be felt in his next words "but not as often as they should."

"Well," Gobo squared his shoulders. "if we can help a Silly Creature in trouble, we'll sure try. Right, everyone?"

"Us...go into Outer Space?" Mokey whispered. There was a little uneasiness in her voice.

"Sure, Mokey! I did it, and you can too! I'll be there to help you." Red encouraged.

"And with Gobo leading us, we can't go wrong!" added Wembley. "I'll help you out, Gobo." Gobo beamed at his best friend's admiration and confidence in him.

"So it's unanimous. We all help the Silly Creature, 'ay?" Gobo announced.

"No it is not unanimous." Cantus disagreed, pointing to the mouth of the cave behind him.

"You're right," agreed Wembley. "that's not Unanimous. That's Boober."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More soon.

Convincing John

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that was great... Only thing missing...
Is this still part of Chapter 2? Or is it Chapter 3?
Was missing that at the head of the story segment's text.

References to the T. Matt Fraggle Room.
Loved the description of the Fraggle scarecrow. Ominous, and guardianlike at the same time.
References to when Gobo and Matt found and explored one of the caves, the garden gnomes episode... And even Red's Blue Dragon.

The qualities doled out to each member of the Fraggle five, perfect.
And they're going to help a sick silly creature?

Splendid! More soon please.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
*breathes slowly* Wow....this is captivating! I want to read more! I loved the descriptions of each of the Fraggle five's best characteristics. And a silly creature, I wonder who it could be? I have an idea, but I'll keep it to myself for now. CJ this is so amazing, please post some more!

Convincing John

Reaction score
Ah, yes. This is Chapter 3. But I forgot to put in the title when I cut and pasted it from my word processor, and when I remembered it, the message wouldn't let me edit it. D'oh!

So yes, that was Chapter 3 you just read, entitled "The End of the Beginning of the Journey"

Convincing John