The Chipmunks

Drtooth

Reaction score
Interesting how the Grasshoppers and the Happy Chipmunks cover the music of Chipmunks :smile:

Was one a Christmas album? Any other neat cover songs?
The Grasshoppers one was a Christmas album, naturally.. other than 2 Chipmunks covers everything was standard Christmas fare... nothing else interesting of note.

Actually, I still have a Chipmunks album that's still in the wrappings. I think it's a 1980's pressing, so I doubt it's worth all that much.

Yorick

Reaction score
The Grasshoppers one was a Christmas album, naturally.. other than 2 Chipmunks covers everything was standard Christmas fare... nothing else interesting of note.
Thanks for the Grasshoppers info! Maybe I can find audio of it on the internet somewhere just out of curiosity, though I definitely trust your judgement that it's not gonna floor me to hear it.

Actually, I still have a Chipmunks album that's still in the wrappings. I think it's a 1980's pressing, so I doubt it's worth all that much.
I assume you mean a 1980's pressing of one of the original christmas albums, as opposed to Chipmunk Punk or Chipmunk Rock. I'd keep it if I were you, just because it's cool to have :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thanks for the Grasshoppers info! Maybe I can find audio of it on the internet somewhere just out of curiosity, though I definitely trust your judgement that it's not gonna floor me to hear it.
I mean the songs, though... quite frankly, I don't think it exactly would rival anything by the official band.

Which makes me wonder... when Peter Pan did the Songs from Sesame Street album, why on Earth did Children's Television Workshop give the music rights to someone releasing an inferior cover? That would be like Disney making their OWN crummy DTV clones of their own theatrical movies. Whoever in the Bagdasarian family who controlled the Chipmunks at the time did the same letting a copy band cover their songs. Just... weird is what that is.

And did you ever see the cover art for this stuff? Ugly beyond belief. When I saw Peter Pan's Sesame Street Disco cover record I was pretty disturbed by the look. Especially Donald Duck's androgynous cousin.

I assume you mean a 1980's pressing of one of the original christmas albums, as opposed to Chipmunk Punk or Chipmunk Rock. I'd keep it if I were you, just because it's cool to have :smile:
Nah, it's a 1980's pressing of "Chipmunks a Go-Go."

Yorick

Reaction score
You're right about the copy bands, it is strange! It means more fun for us, but I am amazed it was agreed to, in any case!

As for the artwork, I saw the covers for the Happy Hamsters and Happy Chipmunks LPs, and my post at 04-07-2011 02:45 PM in this thread has links where you can see those. I should print them out and frame them on my wall! :smile:

Nah, it's a 1980's pressing of "Chipmunks a Go-Go."
I searched for it and had a link here to download it, and I said, "Now you can hear the songs without opening the record" but the link didn't work. I'll look for another, thanks! It says the 80's pressing is missing 2 songs, FYI.

Yorick

Reaction score
Meet Frankenstein song?

Does anyone have the song from "Meet Frankenstein"? It's called "If You Wanna Have Friends" - though I'll take any chipmunks music if anyone wants to trade!

I'll ask the mp3 sharing page if no Chipmunks fans answer here, but I thought I'd try here first :smile:

Thanks!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It would seem that movie #3 (Chipwrecked) is still on, despite 20th Century Fox having been sued by Bagdasarian Productions simply for announcing there's going to be a third movie.

From what I understand (just rumormill stuff here, mind you), that like the squeakquel, this is going to feature very little Dave, and very lot of loser nephew Toby (and a girlfriend of his apparently). I saw some behind-the-scenes/promoshots on an actual cruise ship, where they were using dolls and such as "stand-ins" for where they're going to animate the characters and such... in my opinion, if I were an actor on a movie set like that, interacting with an imaginary/animated character, I think I'd just as soon work WITHOUT any sort of "stand-in" like a doll or puppet or anything, I think having a doll/puppet there on the set would sort of break away from kind of creative/imaginative/spontaneous ad-libbing or anything... plus, people already think I'm weird for talking to myself anyway, imagine what people would say if they saw me talking to dolls. I get, though, that sometimes they HAVE to use dolls to make sure the actors' focus with where the animated characters are going to be remain consistence and realistic and everything.

By the way, does anyone besides me think that the posters for these movies look like they're designed and made by a lazy person? They keep using the exact same base models for the posters over and over again, and just basically change the wardrobe and maybe hand positions, and that's it.

Yorick

Reaction score
It would seem that movie #3 (Chipwrecked) is still on, despite 20th Century Fox having been sued by Bagdasarian Productions simply for announcing there's going to be a third movie.
I think it's pretty funny though! :smile: I mean, I won't shed tears for 20th Century Fox, after all. Their "modernizing" of these films is what made them not live up to the Chipmunks from the single of "The Chipmunk Song" up to "Alvin & The Mini-Munks". Now I know not everyone likes A&TMM due to the way it was aimed at babies. But still, it doesn't reek of the current slang, etc. And the characters were still likeable from the single of "The Chipmunk Song" to A&TMM, too. To me, anyway. But these new films...ugh. However, I hope they make a third one anyway, just because hey, they already tainted the thing (no matter how much money they made, that's not the point) so why not make another and keep the name out there, and hopefully after this trilogy is done they'll go back to how they were in the Meet Frankenstein and Wolfman movies).

Good points on the stand in dolls for the third CGI film, that their static-ness could hurt the performance even though you want them to get the eye levels right.

I agree on the posters totally!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've seen little of the Mini-munks, but I did pretty much like what I did see... mainly because hey, it was puppets... and the characters looked great as puppets... I remember reading an interview with Ross Jr. (which seems to be lost now, I used to have the link), saying he was initially worried about the project beforehand, he saw the puppets in various stages of completetion, and likened the sight to roadkill, but was happy to see how the puppets turned out when they were completed. My only minor quibble with Mini-munks is that Ross and Janice obviously did NOT do the voices... most of the voices were off: Alvin sounded like an actual kid, Simon sounded older as a baby than he did as an eight-year-old, Jeanette sounded Dexter... and it still doesn't make sense that Eleanor was a baby, while the others were tots, considering they're only like five minutes apart from each other.

Well, five for the most part... apparently, there's ten minutes between Brittany and Jeanette, which makes the age order: Brittany, Alvin, Simon, Jeanette, Theodore, Eleanor.