The Chipmunks

Rugratskid

Reaction score
I keep hearing conflicting things about the Bullwinkle sets. I hear copyrighted music, and I also hear Jay stated that he wanted the music changed before he died. Any way, I think it's because those episodes are part of some unrealized or rare syndication package of the series. One that uses the rare season one and two of the Rocky Show titles.

But if The Chipmunks were released under Disney at that period, darn tootin' they'd let them use a Disney song in there. Same reason they simply had to include the Mickey Moose bit on the Muppet compilation VHS and the Sleeping Beautyland bit on their Bullwinkle releases. I'm glad they could laugh at themselves on that one.
Well, Buena Vista DID release the Sing-Alongs, because at the time hey had the rights to TAS. Now Bagdasarian have the rights to the show. They just need clearing for that song, and they are good. It'd be much easier then the 80's cartoon getting clearance. It might even be cheap to use that song for all we know. Then they could just buy the song from them for any future releases.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I still don't understand is that obviously, Bagdasarian Prod. makes a lot of money off the franchise, between albums, those movies, what merchandising there is out there... SURELY, they can afford clearance for some of these songs? I mean granted, MOST of the episodes on DVD DON'T have song replacements, in fact, the song replacements are few and far between, but those that do have song replacements use the WORST possible dubs you can imagine (the dub of "Witch Doctor" in "Theodore and Juliet" was terrible, and gag me that song that replaced "When I'm 64" in "The Picture of Health"). I find it oxymoronic, if you ask me.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
One thing I still don't understand is that obviously, Bagdasarian Prod. makes a lot of money off the franchise, between albums, those movies, what merchandising there is out there... SURELY, they can afford clearance for some of these songs? I mean granted, MOST of the episodes on DVD DON'T have song replacements, in fact, the song replacements are few and far between, but those that do have song replacements use the WORST possible dubs you can imagine (the dub of "Witch Doctor" in "Theodore and Juliet" was terrible, and gag me that song that replaced "When I'm 64" in "The Picture of Health"). I find it oxymoronic, if you ask me.
That's the main reason I'm not sure if I should buy the new DVD or not. I don't know if Tomorow in the Chipette Story was replaced. And also, there is a place to buy The Alvin Show online. Here's the link: http://www.wingnuttoons.com/cartoons.html If someone can buy a disc and send me the episodes, I would be super happy and would do anything I could to repay you.

Rugratskid

Reaction score

This one frame might seem familiar - Disney once used it in a promo for their Chipmunks VHS releases. This episode may in fact exist, the general public just doesn't have access to it.

Now I just wanna say while I still have time to edit this post, the reason I didn't talk much about the later Chipmunks, despite the fact that I grew up with those, is because I haven't really watched the 80s/90s cartoons as much as others. I have seen a few episodes and specials, and they're not bad. They do seem better built than the Alvin Show in some ways. I still have a soft spot for this show though...
This episode does exist! Nickelodeon aired it back in the 90's.. I actually have a copy of it. It's called "Good Neighbor". The plot is Dave and The Chipmunks get a new neighbor who has to sleep during the day due to a night job. The only problem is, the chipmunks keep interrupting his sleep. I can post it somewhere onlint if anyone wants to see it! :big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow.

That "Chipmunks Gangsta Rap" video that Ross and Janice filed a lawsuit over has resurfaced on the web (I won't link it, go to newgrounds.com and search for it)... I'm both someone fascinated and deeply disturbed by it at the same time... on one hand, for an early 2000s Flash-animated short, it's pretty impressive and animated fairly well (again, given the time period), but on the other hand you have to have a pretty sick, demented, twisted, and warped sense of humor to watch Alvin, Simon, and Theodore go all gangsta, then go on a homicidal rampage on Dave.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Unless someone else posted it...

The Chipmunks sing about all the awful programming NBC had to offer in 1983.

Okay okay okay... Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Kidd Video, and Smurfs are cool. But the Mr. T cartoon has to be seen to be believed. It's terrible! No Howlin' Mad Murdoch!

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Unless someone else posted it...

The Chipmunks sing about all the awful programming NBC had to offer in 1983.

Okay okay okay... Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Kidd Video, and Smurfs are cool. But the Mr. T cartoon has to be seen to be believed. It's terrible! No Howlin' Mad Murdoch!
I saw that back in 2010 somewhere.. Someone called Badgasarian yesterday and said they were closed and cleaning when they did it. They said they will call again today, so let's hope with get some good news on The Alvin Show! I'm so sick of the 1980's show because it's practically all they release on DVD since the 2007 movie.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
At least they made SOME sort of effort to put out the Alvin Show, even if it is just one episode. Just stay patient, I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually. For now however we've got bootleg taped-off-tv recordings. And that's all we'll ever have for a while.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I saw that back in 2010 somewhere.. Someone called Badgasarian yesterday and said they were closed and cleaning when they did it. They said they will call again today, so let's hope with get some good news on The Alvin Show! I'm so sick of the 1980's show because it's practically all they release on DVD since the 2007 movie.
Lemme guess, that someone was you?