The Catherine Tate thread

Princeton

Reaction score
Even for me this might seem like a random thing to post about but it's been on my mind for a while and luckily I can kick it off in a somewhat Muppety way. Remember how 1981 was the unofficial year of Miss Piggy? Every store you went in there were Piggy calendars, cups, magazine covers, etc. Well, it really seemed like 2013 was the year of Catherine Tate. Since that was four years ago, I think it's finally time to ask why did we devote an entire year to being obsessed with her? It was especially overwhelming for me because of the media I partake in. 2013 was the final year of one of my favorite TV shows, "The Office" (which I very well do a tribute thread on later) and Tate became a major character on the show for no other reason than she was in every TV show that year. And it wasn't just the fact that her constant appearances were overkill, as an actress she is extremely awkward and annoying. She dresses so immodestly that she makes Kat Dennings look like a nun, she has a huge globular mole on the side of her neck that is impossible to ignore and her English accent is so pedantic she makes the Pythons sound like Gilbert Godfried. Again I ask, why was it so imperative that she was so active in a one year period and then disappeared? I could clearly go on but I think I've made my point.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Even for me this might seem like a random thing to post about but it's been on my mind for a while and luckily I can kick it off in a somewhat Muppety way. Remember how 1981 was the unofficial year of Miss Piggy? Every store you went in there were Piggy calendars, cups, magazine covers, etc. Well, it really seemed like 2013 was the year of Catherine Tate. Since that was four years ago, I think it's finally time to ask why did we devote an entire year to being obsessed with her? It was especially overwhelming for me because of the media I partake in. 2013 was the final year of one of my favorite TV shows, "The Office" (which I very well do a tribute thread on later) and Tate became a major character on the show for no other reason than she was in every TV show that year. And it wasn't just the fact that her constant appearances were overkill, as an actress she is extremely awkward and annoying. She dresses so immodestly that she makes Kat Dennings look like a nun, she has a huge globular mole on the side of her neck that is impossible to ignore and her English accent is so pedantic she makes the Pythons sound like Gilbert Godfried. Again I ask, why was it so imperative that she was so active in a one year period and then disappeared? I could clearly go on but I think I've made my point.
I take it you're British?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
No, but I don't think that factors in.
I just don't think most people outside the UK would've noticed much if she was getting any more exposure than usual. Heck, most of the Americans that talk about her only know her for a couple of things: The Office (as you mentioned) and Doctor Who, and maybe sometimes The Catherine Tate Show.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Personally, I enjoy her comedic acting. I'll admit I haven't seen her work outside of Doctor Who, however.

Princeton

Reaction score
As I said in the OP, it was only really overwhelming for me because of the media I partake in. In addition to The Office, I was in a production of Much Ado About Nothing the same year that Tate did a very high-profile revival of it in London and then was later released on DVD and one of my cast members invited everyone over to his house to watch it. I assumed it was going to be because it would be interesting to see another interpretation of the show we were in. But nope, he made us watch it because everyone in the cast except me was a Whovian. That's the same reason another friend dragged to see "Once" in New York because Arthur Darvil was going to be a replacement.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
As I said in the OP, it was only really overwhelming for me because of the media I partake in. In addition to The Office, I was in a production of Much Ado About Nothing the same year that Tate did a very high-profile revival of it in London and then was later released on DVD and one of my cast members invited everyone over to his house to watch it. I assumed it was going to be because it would be interesting to see another interpretation of the show we were in. But nope, he made us watch it because everyone in the cast except me was a Whovian. That's the same reason another friend dragged to see "Once" in New York because Arthur Darvil was going to be a replacement.
Well, you gotta give it to us Whovians: We are a dedicated people!