The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Some fun Questions form Jim

I have here on my computer some answers from Jim. I always send him a little note with the questions, and i told him today about how all the fans(You all) seem to really be geting on a presonal levle with this. He said he felt great about this, and though it was a great idea the way i sent the questions today. So insteed of hearing me go on and on here are the questions enjoy. Oh if you didn't see your question let me know cause the next batch will be like a catch up one.

Some fun Questions form Jim

1. From forum member jimhensonhour: First time reader and question askerer.
I'm just wondering if there are plans to bring back other great muppet characters such as ones like digit or leon from the jim henson hour, I really miss them..
Are there any plans to have Dr. Teeth, and most of the members of the Electeric Mayhem to make some type of come back?
Thanks for your time.

First of all, let me say that I really like the term “question askerer”. It’s perfect and if you don’t mind, I may borrow it and try to put it into a future sketch. Seriously. I love it.
Second, I can only guess as to Digit and Leon. My suspicions are that they will not be back anytime soon, but if you suspect differently, then let’s go with what you think since that’s more fun. Right now, I’d say the goal is to reintroduce and further reinvigorate the core group of characters. And I’d certainly include Dr. Teeth & the band in that number. They got a lot of mileage still in ‘em, you dig?

2. From Beauregard: I recently read a report about the Muppet Mockumentary, which said that the idea had been around since before the Muppet Movie and before such movies as Spinal Tap and the TV series The Office. The concept itself is amazing, and I think its playing well on the new website. For example, the clip of Piggy giving herself a pep-talk in the mirror is simply amazing. Is there any news on that pilot and do you think the concept could work as a whole show, rather than webisodes?

You never know. And neither do I.
…In all honesty, I think more of this “real world Muppet” approach is great. A chance to let the characters be themselves (as in that Piggy pep talk). The performers love it. I love it. And if you love it, then maybe we can and should do more. As for a pilot or series of this type – see the first line of my answer.

3. From Minor Muppetz: Did you write any of the video material on the main menus of the Muppet Show DVD’s

Yes. And since you bring it up, I assume you don’t hate it, so thank you. It’s one of those “found” bits of business we’ve done for the DVDs. And, as always, while it was all scripted out, the performers messed around, played around, made it better and their own.

4. From our good friend Ryan: Last year Dave Goelz (and Gonzo) hinted at a new "really exciting" Muppet project being in the works. Was this project the new Muppet site? Or is it something bigger in the works that you can only hint about? Also, can you tell us how much the writer's strike (thanks GOODNESS it's finally over!) affected anything the Muppets had planned?

I must talk to Dave about this. Perhaps he knows something I don’t. (Which is not at all difficult.) I can guess at what he meant, but if I told you then I’d have to kill myself. (It’s in the contract I signed.) As for the writer’s strike – I too am so glad it’s over. It held everything up all over town, so yes it impacted us. But now we’re fired up and ready to go and….that means I gotta write faster and funnier.

5. From Mrs.Pepper : Hi Jim! On Muppet Central I go by MrsPepper (Floyd's wife! ) and I am really glad to hear of your involvement on the new Muppets Disney XD website, which is fantastic. I love the new material, it's really fresh and so much fun to watch. I was wondering, because the videos on the website have such a relaxed and on-the-spot vibe, how much is actually scripted and how much is improvised?

They were scripted. Every single word. Every motion and movement and nuance was there on the page…..Yeah, right. As I always say, all Muppet stuff is usually scripted to some extent—but then it takes on a life of its own as the characters explore, inhabit, react and play with the material and each other. As the great writer George S. Kaufman once said while watching the Marx Bros. rehearse his play “Cocoanuts”:
"Excuse me for interrupting, but I thought for a minute I actually heard a line I wrote" I’ve said the same. But if it gets a laugh, I take the credit.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Once again, great questions all, and even better answers from Jim! I think I still have one more question I asked earlier waiting to be asked, so I won't ask anymore, just thought I'd post a personal thank you to Jim. :smile:

Oh, and by the way, are those suicidal contracts negotiable? Sheesh, no wonder you guys went on strike... :wisdom:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Once again, great questions all, and even better answers from Jim! I think I still have one more question I asked earlier waiting to be asked, so I won't ask anymore, just thought I'd post a personal thank you to Jim. :smile:

Oh, and by the way, are those suicidal contracts negotiable? Sheesh, no wonder you guys went on strike... :wisdom:
HA HA HA thats funny!

Beauregard

Reaction score
and….that means I gotta write faster and funnier.
*points* I see that little reference there...He really IS Fozzie Bear.

Thanks for the answers, my friend. I was just playing with my Kermit Replica and it made me long to read Before You Leap again (Oh, Before You Leap Again...catchy title...) so I'll be popping that off the shelf again later! Has there ever been talk of Steve recording an audio version of the book?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
*points* I see that little reference there...He really IS Fozzie Bear.

Thanks for the answers, my friend. I was just playing with my Kermit Replica and it made me long to read Before You Leap again (Oh, Before You Leap Again...catchy title...) so I'll be popping that off the shelf again later! Has there ever been talk of Steve recording an audio version of the book?
Wow before you leap on audio know that sounds cool, no that sounds very cool! I want to know about that myself.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Oops, I feel bad because I guess Jim gets alot of questions like the one I asked! :embarrassed: Sorry. I do appreciate your patience in answering it one more time.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Oops, I feel bad because I guess Jim gets alot of questions like the one I asked! :embarrassed: Sorry. I do appreciate your patience in answering it one more time.
hey don't worry about it Mrs.P it was your frist time asking a question wasnt it? You will come up with some good ones just keep asking and you will never know what kind of answer you get.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
hey don't worry about it Mrs.P it was your frist time asking a question wasnt it? You will come up with some good ones just keep asking and you will never know what kind of answer you get.
Yeah I think I asked only one other question in the old thread. If I come up with a burning question :search: then I will post it :smile: Thanks Dwayne!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yeah I think I asked only one other question in the old thread. If I come up with a burning question :search: then I will post it :smile: Thanks Dwayne!
No problem Mrs. P any time.

I'm going to more then likly type up the questions today or tonight and send them tomorow (Sings: Tomorow Tomrow I'll love you Tomorow Your only a Day Away) oh sorry for a second there i thought this was the ask ANNEY Thread!