The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
First time reader and question askerer.
I'm just wondering if there are plans to bring back other great muppet characters such as ones like digit or leon from the jim henson hour, I really miss them.
I'd also like to see the monsters return, if that is at all possible.
Are there any plans to have Dr. Teeth come back? Or have they not found some one who can do his voice well enough?
Thanks for your time.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
First time reader and question askerer.
I'm just wondering if there are plans to bring back other great muppet characters such as ones like digit or leon from the jim henson hour, I really miss them.
I'd also like to see the monsters return, if that is at all possible.
Are there any plans to have Dr. Teeth come back? Or have they not found some one who can do his voice well enough?
Thanks for your time.
Hey there jimhensonhour welcome to the thread, and i will send your question when we get some more, and get the answers witch i sent to jim a day ago. So sit back and enjoy.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It is the odd random creature appearances (penguins, monsters, frackles) that make the Muppets Muppety! I would like to see their return.

I do have a question - would he, or any of the writers, be interested in bringing characters like Uncle Deadly back? It is my assumption that Jerry Juhl and the staff didn't like writing for him. I also miss Beauregard very much! :sympathy:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I'm really seeing something good here a lot of diffrent people in here im really exited about all this.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I recently read a report about the Muppet Mockumentary, which said that the idea had been around since before the Muppet Movie and before such movies as Spinal Tap and the TV series The Office. The concept itself is amazing, and I think its playing well on the new website. For example, the clip of Piggy giving herself a pep-talk in the mirror is simply amazing. Is there any news on that pilot and do you think the concept could work as a whole show, rather than webisodes?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just got an E mail form Jim and i got the answers. There is some questions that Jim really wanted to stray away from like the ones about casting and such, but he gave the best answers that he could. So here yall go enjoy!

Questions for Jim Lewis

1. I have a question about the Full Body Muppet Monsters. Where are they for one thing? Is the fact that it is more difficult for the Muppeters Or is it just harder writing for them? I love Sweetums and all the Muppet Monsters , I just wish there was more new stuff with them.

I like Sweetums, too. And all the full-body Monsters. Why aren’t they used more? I think it’s a matter or scale. Kermit and the other characters are about the same size; they relate easily with each other and with guest stars. Add a big Monster and suddenly you’re faced with this giant who takes up most of the screen. That said, the full-body characters are great when there is a live performance (or a live to video appearance in front of an audience) – they help bridge the gap between Kermit & Co. and the audience. Also, I think the way Sweetums and Robin connect is priceless. Their very varied size makes them perfect for each other. I’ll do my best to do more with them, though that doesn’t guarantee anything. Hope that answers your question.

2. Do you know if any performer’s have been recast to play Robin the Frog since Jerry Nelson’s retirement? I know that Bill plays Lew Zealand now and John Kennedy performs Floyd, but Robin seems to be the only one of Jerry Nelson’s major characters to not have been recast, any light you can shed on that?

I can’t shed any light. This is an area that treads on issues that are outside what I know and can share as Muppet writer guy. I’m loath to get into casting issues. Suffice it to say that all of the people mentioned above are friends, are enormously talented and—though I’ve never personally observed it—are probably very good dancers. That’s something, no?

3. I wanted to ask about "Americas Next Muppet", i believe something was shot at Disney World/Studios. Were you involved writing it and are you able to tell us (if its no longer happening) a little about it? I thought it would have made a great TV special, and greatly enjoyed the Muppets appearance in the finale of Americas Got Talent in this kinda role.

I really wasn’t involved on this project, so I really don’t know what to tell you or what happened. Besides, as a Muppet writer I was ineligible to enter. Darn it! And I could have done such a great job embarrassing myself in the early auditions.

4 The Muppet website video clips are good, if a bit short (they seem shorter than the average Mupet Show or Muppets Tonight sketches). However, I've noticed that so far the videos mostly feature just a few of the main characters, along with The Newsman and some rats and penguins. If you are allowed to say, do you know whether fans should expect to see more lesser-known characters (such as Beauregard, Lew Zealand, Lips, Digit, Seymour, Sweetums, and others), and if we should expect to see any of Jerry Nelson's characters who haven't been recast in any previous productions yet?

All I can say it, more of these will be done. At least that’s the plan….When? Soon, I hope….Which characters? That hasn’t been decided yet….Any of the characters you mention? Perhaps, but I do think the site aims to re-introduce/introduce the central characters….Length of the pieces? Well, they are short. But that’s the joy of the internet; there is no time frame. Pieces go as long or short as they need to go. We don’t need to stretch or cut for time. Besides, as they saying goes: brevity is the soul of wit. Not that I personally have ever been brief or witty.

Now we have had some fans make some wonderful comments and I thought I would post them here.

New poster to the Ask thread Luke said: I just wanted to tell you how great the new Muppets.com is and how much i hope it can be the start of great things in the future. Back in the very early days of dial up connections and streaming video over the net Gonzo appeared on a live candian internet TV show and took viewers questions live via instant messaging. It just shows how well this platform is suited to the Muppets and the possibilities for them to reach people.

Our Good Beauregard had this to say: I don't have a question, just wanna say that I love the new Muppet Site content, and that I love everything about the Muppets right now (naturally). I have a brand new Fozzie mug beside my bed (something I never thought I'd see in chain stores in England again) and when I see it, just makes me smile a bit. Thought I'd share.

Theprwancraker AKA Ryan Gave thanks as well with a personal note thrown in as well: Thanks again Jim, hats off to you! And if you ever want me to tell you about what's going on with the Muppets before I forget, let me know

P.S. My friends think my signed copy of Before You Leap is awesome (and so do I).

I to would like to say thanks Jim you have not only been so nice to all us fans, but you have become a good friend to a lot of us as well. Thanks for everything.

JIM REACTS: I cannot tell you how much I enjoy reading these comments. Writing nonsense in a small room while wearing pajamas and drinking cold coffee is a lonely life. Perhaps someday I will have the fortitude to get dressed and heat up my coffee, but in the meantime, I am warmed and clothed in your kindness. (Please do not try to picture the above scene; t’aint’ pretty.) Sincerely, thanks!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
question for Jim

Did you write any of the video material used in the main menu sections of The Muppet Show season sets?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Great answers Jim! And thanks again for doing this Dwayne! But, you seem to have forgotten to send two of the questions I asked earlier. I don't know if that was on purpose or you just missed them, so I'll just ask them again. :smile:

Last year Dave Goelz (and Gonzo) hinted at a new "really exciting" Muppet project being in the works. Was this project the new Muppet site? Or is it something bigger? Also, can you tell us how much the writer's strike (thanks GOODNESS it's finally over!) affected it, if it had any affect at all?

And one more question, when writing a script, and you want to write a scene that includes a Muppet that (a) doesn't have a performer currently (such as Robin) or (b) hasn't been seen in years (such as Uncle Deadly), what do you do? Do you just keep writing it and leave it to the production team to find performers/puppets? Or do you scrap the idea and come up with something different?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Down but not out!

Hey Gang, I've gotten pretty sick, and I don't want everything to stop because of it. I'm only taking a couple of days off. If there are a lot of questions and/or comments, our good friend Ryan, aka theprawncracker, can stand in the gap for me. Keep asking questions, keep having fun, I'll be back soon. Thanks for bringing back the magic to me. love always Dwayne

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Great answers Jim! And thanks again for doing this Dwayne! But, you seem to have forgotten to send two of the questions I asked earlier. I don't know if that was on purpose or you just missed them, so I'll just ask them again. :smile:

Last year Dave Goelz (and Gonzo) hinted at a new "really exciting" Muppet project being in the works. Was this project the new Muppet site? Or is it something bigger? Also, can you tell us how much the writer's strike (thanks GOODNESS it's finally over!) affected it, if it had any affect at all?

And one more question, when writing a script, and you want to write a scene that includes a Muppet that (a) doesn't have a performer currently (such as Robin) or (b) hasn't been seen in years (such as Uncle Deadly), what do you do? Do you just keep writing it and leave it to the production team to find performers/puppets? Or do you scrap the idea and come up with something different?
I only put one of your questions down because you and other gave three or more in one post.Which is fine but i am only going to send one question pre person. to make it fair. I will post one of you other questions next time around, and then the last one.
I"m feeling a little better so keep asking questions and we will get answers.

Also i would like to know do you all like when i send you PM's about what is going on in the thread? let me know