The Bob's Burgers Discussion Thread

Who's your favorite character on Bob's Burgers?

• Linda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mort

• Jimmy Pesto

• Jimmy Jr.

• Zeke

• Mr. Frond

• Gayle

• other (sorry, can't list all the characters here)

• Total voters

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Heh, the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover was pretty bad but this particular cutaway scene was pretty clever:

Drtooth

Reaction score
To be fair though...

The fact Bob's Burgers even got to 3 seasons was amazing. The show didn't exactly have the best ratings, and it took years for the show to catch on. I should know, as I watched it from the beginning. I had the first Bob's Burgers T-shirt which was an unrelated logo that probably existed in the series' development. Went on clearance a couple weeks later. That could have very well been the only piece of merchandising the show got. The show was constantly in danger of being cancelled, and even when it became a massive cult hit, Fox wanted to sabotage it by giving it the King of the Hill/Futurama death slot so weaker sitcoms could flourish (which they didn't). Slowly but surely the show gained a cult following, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was all on adult swim rebroadcasts that were the reason. I mean, Bob's Burgers came out at a time when Fox was trying multiple other animated sitcoms. That awful Allen Gregory and the underrated and shoul have been on cable Napoleon Dynamite. Of which I'm disappointed didn't take, but if its sacrifice meant Bob's Burgers would get its chance, so be it.

So basically Bob's Burgers gets more buzz now than Family Guy and The Simpsons put together.

Meanwhile, The Cleveland Show had low ratings, mostly due to disinterest. While I contend that it was at least a superior show to Family Guy at the time with far more likable characters and even slightly better voice talent, I can see why a third Seth MacFarline Show ticked viewers off. Even though all Seth's involvement was voicing 2 characters and it was really Mike Henry's show.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well the point of the joke was that Bob's Burgers had to air between The Simpsons and Family Guy to get solid ratings otherwise it would crash like The Cleavland Show. But, in the spring when Bob's aired post-Simpsons, it was essentially tying it in the ratings. The Simpsons and Family Guy have fallen a lot, but Bob's is rather steady in the ratings, taking away the football inflated episodes, I doubt The Simpsons is much stronger than Bob's Burgers anymore.

mr3urious

Reaction score
For the first time, Louise's Kuchi Kopi doll becomes a plot device, leading to a trippy fever dream involving Kuchi (deformed by heat no thanks to her parents) and the rest of Louise's dolls.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I must say, I really loved this episode. I actually think it's my new favorite. It was extremely funny and I definitely wasn't expecting a musical episode.I especially liked the songs Louise sung, even though the songs were pretty short. John H. Benjamin(at least I assume it was him) did a great job playing Kuchi. As I suspected, Amy Schumer had a very small role despite being advertised, which I don't mind.

Oh and I like how the name of the toy shop was "About a Toy", a nice little reference.

Also, am I the only one who would watch a spin off or at least several more episodes about Kuchi Kopi land?

Drtooth

Reaction score
For the first time, Louise's Kuchi Kopi doll becomes a plot device, leading to a trippy fever dream involving Kuchi (deformed by heat no thanks to her parents) and the rest of Louise's dolls.
I can't remember where I read it, either the Bob's Burgers Wikipedia or one of the 107 facts, but the thing is, Kuchikopi usually signifies someone's decent into madness. Bob had a The Shining moment with Kuchi all the way back in "Crawl Space," and Louise was growing paranoid and blind greedy talking to it while stroking the ambergris in the episode of the same name. While this is a fever dream, notice that Kuchi was talking very much not like a sane person through the whole thing, threatening to kill.

I really like how most of the musical numbers were handled with a "please don't" interruption. And once again, Teddy drops by to make the show even more funny. There's so much of the play between him and Bob that's improvised. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire scene about Teddy shouting the name of his childhood toy was at least somewhat improv. Also... funny that all the toys have very Japanese, Ghibli-esque names. Not just Louise's, but Teddy's and the Amy Schumer cameo woman's too.

As I suspected, Amy Schumer had a very small role despite being advertised, which I don't mind.
She seems like the kind of comedian guest voice actor they'd use occasionally. Wouldn't be surprised if she does another guest spot on the show as a full fledged character.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
She seems like the kind of comedian guest voice actor they'd use occasionally. Wouldn't be surprised if she does another guest spot on the show as a full fledged character.
Yeah, probably. And she seems like she'd be a good voice actor, not that the show has ever had a bad one.

Oh, and one other thing about the episode: Didn't the melted Kuchi doll kind of remind anyone of a character from "Squidbillies" ? :

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, probably. And she seems like she'd be a good voice actor, not that the show has ever had a bad one.
Bob's Burgers, probably because it's a Lauren Bouchard show, has a history of seeking out comedians and comedic actors for show roles, be they recurring or one shot. They have a good idea of who they want most of the time, and that kind of voice actor that's a comedian first is who they usually want to seek out. They had Key and Peel on the show, but never together until last season's episode about the couch being destroyed. Amy, being a comedienne would be right in their wheelhouse.