The Blues Brothers (Discussion)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, howyadoin'?

We were talking about puppet construction in another thread and almost were about to Muffin the thread when I realized it, so I'm creating this thread to get around that problem.

Phantom posted there and said:
It's not about the threads, man. It's about the attitude....either that or you have to be on a mission from God.
And how right he is. "Blues" as a last name doesn't exist in the 'reality' of the Blues Brothers universe prior to the meeting of Jake and Elwood.

Jake's mother was an inmate at a woman's facility when he was born and she died. Elwood was abandoned, and a policeman whose last name was Delaney delivered him to Our Lady of the Blessed Shroud orphanage, where the two of them met.

In their teen years they made a blood-brother pact slitting their fingers with the 'g' string of a guitar, then changed their names to Jake Elwood Blues and Elwood Jake Blues, then went on their sprees of crime, spending time in detention schools, etc.

I've always figured that if you want to be in the Blues Brotherhood, then you should always know your Blues History (the music, not necessarily the Brothers), have a deep appreciation for full band or acoustic Delta, Chicago, Memphis, Texas, or New Orleans blues music, including music from Memphis Stax/Volt/Sun era (Sam & Dave, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett...), and finally you have to have some variation of--not necessarily the whole--look.

If you look at www.picturetrail.com/muleythemule there are photos throughout of my character, Soloman DH (Delaney Houchins) Blues who didn't realize he was the Illegitimate child of Elwood Blues (per the script and biography I wrote of him) until Rev. Hal L. Yulah explained to him the "relationship" his mother made while in Chicago for a vacation.

Sol's original costume is a pair of old overalls, dirty work boots, a baseball cap, and (finally) his shades (RayBan Wayfarers) which he had to have to protect his vision from bright lights after taking a dare to look at the sun through binoculars (which normally, I believe, renders one blind--he was blessed not to be). He got the rest of the outfit after the Reverend showed him a box of stuff left behind after his mother passed away, including a photo of his mother and Elwood taken one night in the backstage area of a Chicago blues club.

Also in the picture albums you'll see my pal Lin and his character Linwood. Of course, Soloman will perform with whomever he can--as long as they have at least 'some' of 'the look.'

Elwood explains in BB2K that the clothes they wear serve a very important purpose, it sets the mood and earns them the respect of the band members. It's also taken off of the whole Men In Black look, including the darkness of the shades hiding the soul and spirit of many a Delta blues performer--especially in the days when the Devil was meeting folks at crossroads trying to cut some deals.

Anyways, I just wanted to open a thread for discussion about The Blues Brothers either as characters, movies, musicians, the band members, history, whoever has met them, just anything on that topic.

By the way, Soloman did meet Elwood Blues and Brother Zee Blues in December 2002, and I got to meet Willie "Too Big" Hall--the Blues Brothers' Drummer in both films and elsewhere--in fall 2003! Photos are in the picture albums above.

Later,
X

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I love "Blues Brothers"! One of my favorite movies. Elwood especially is a hoot. I found it interesting, when I was in London the Blues Brothers seemed very popular there. They even had a couple restaurants themed after them! I ate at one - very tasty! :smile:
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The House of Blues has a Blues Brothers Theme to it, but mainly because Dan Aykroyd is one of the co-owners of the franchise. I love the decorations in a HOB also!

There is a Blues Brothers Show from Universal Studios Florida online at the www.ghostbusters.net message boards: I forgot where it is over there, and the guy playing Elwood sounds like Dan Aykroyd to me.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
You forgot something, Soloman.

A member of the Blues Brothers-hood must be on a mission from God. :stick_out_tongue:

Hehe.

Great thread, Foz. I love the Blues Brothers movie. I haven't seen Blues Brothers 2000 yet, but I most deffinitely will. The Blues Brothers movie is just too funny.

I want to be a Blues Brother.

:cool:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
I love the Blues Brothers movie....I haven't seen much of BB2K, but I liked what I saw! If there's such a thing as a "Blues SISTER", I'd like to be one!!!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Super Scoot: Blues Brothers don't have to be on a "Mission from God" to be part of that brotherhood. It's about the music and it's connection between each other and the audience listening, and the appreciation for the history and a love of the people who produce that music. The Mission was a part of the story in that part of the lives of the Blues Brothers; the BB2K film was about how the "Lord Works In Mysterious Ways." Carrying on with that tradition, in Sol's story the phrase is "Trust The Lord."

Manda: I figure it like this--Sam and Dave performed a song called "Soul Sister, Brown Sugar." I have considered there to be Blues Brothers and Soul Sisters. My best friend Angie is a Soul Sister--but, only because she passed the test.

matleo

Reaction score
hey Kev,
I saw on tv the other night that next week one of the cable stations is running some kind of behind the scenes "Blues Brothers" special. Can't remember who but I know it's on Wed. night on like TNT, or USA or one of them. TNT I think. thought you might be interested.

--Matt

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
VERY interested! Thanks for sharing. VH1 did something behind the scenes of BB2K once. Wonder what this is going to be about.

If anybody finds out for sure, please let me know! I'll check also.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Super Scoot: Blues Brothers don't have to be on a "Mission from God" to be part of that brotherhood. It's about the music and it's connection between each other and the audience listening, and the appreciation for the history and a love of the people who produce that music. The Mission was a part of the story in that part of the lives of the Blues Brothers; the BB2K film was about how the "Lord Works In Mysterious Ways." Carrying on with that tradition, in Sol's story the phrase is "Trust The Lord."
Hehe. I was just joking, Kev. Sorry.