The Amazing World of Gumball Thread

Which character is your favorite?

• Total voters

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Signal seems to be an episode written around one of the writers getting ticked off at digital television. And frankly..yeah. I know it's supposed to be satellite broadcast, but digital TV sucks. Especially the broadcast free digital converter stuff. Just... if it's slightly windy or not windy enough. I loved the larger riff on how unreliable the thing is. And I also love that it shows how completely screwed up Elmore is. Between this, The Money and especially The Job.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I caught the Love online before, I was happy that the broadcast version kept the "Love breaks all the rules" segment wherea female shaped silhouette and a male shaped one run past each other into the arms of their same genders. Between Clarence's "Jeff has two mommies" and Steven Universe's space lesbians, it would be hypocritical to cut it, plus it strikes a pretty progressive blow for LGBT recognition.

Though it would have been weird to cut it since the episode also featured a creepy stalker on the internet (who was the internet) harassing a woman online, punctuated "come on! It's an internet dating site, what do you expect?" As well as a scene where Richard Watterson walked up to a small child and hugged him, while getting thrown into jail by a parody version of the judge from "The Wall."

How much did they have to pay David Warner for just one line of song? Hopefully Dr. Wrecker will be back soon. I love the character.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nice to see Gumball's awkwardness war with Hot Dog Guy escalate to the regular level of chaos expected in a Gumball episode. Especially when everything starts to look like him, like the Papa Smurf looking guy with the incredibly long forehead.

I managed to see a leaked episode that I guess they're either saving it for Halloween or to coincide with Ghostbusters. It's about Gumball and Darwin dressing up as Ghostbusters and using Carrie to scam the citizens of Elmore out of all the candy. Naturally, as this is a Ghostbusters parody, they'd have to do a parody of the Ghostbusters theme. And this, we get one of the most devious, backhanded, esoteric references of all time:

Yeah. The song parody is really a parody of "I want a New Drug!" The very same song that Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker Jr. over for the Ghostbusters theme sort of sounding the same kinda. OUCH!

mr3urious

Reaction score
I think they've been premiering some of these episodes in advance in France going by the French logo bug. Bet that really steams you up, doesn't it? :big_grin:

mr3urious

Reaction score
"The Bus" was a hilarious send-up on the scared-straight tactics some people have been using on kids by staging an extreme scenario to "teach them a lesson" -- in this case, having them hijack a bus and get sent on an exciting high-speed chase throughout town once the kids suggested to Rocky that they cut class. They must have used this story as inspiration.

I've also noticed how none of the characters call the ticking suitcase a bomb, and when they do, they get cut off by someone or something. A ridiculous case of network censorship, or something intentional by the writers? You make the call.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've also noticed how none of the characters call the ticking suitcase a bomb, and when they do, they get cut off by someone or something. A ridiculous case of network censorship, or something intentional by the writers? You make the call.
Rewatching it, it was clearly the intent, and it sounds like CN Europe has a lot more censorship and or network notes than the US equivalent. Sounds like someone gave them a bunch of notes after the script was handed in, and some executive felt that the word "bomb" was the one thing they wouldn't let fly. So, while the cuts seem like they could be a passive aggressive protest, Mr. Brown's line "We're actually obligated to say that this isn't a bomb" proves they weren't too happy about dumbing that down.

That said, there's this scene that didn't make it to the US broadcast of "The Crew" that managed to slip by the UK censors:

Anyway, "The Night" was an okay episode, though I think they really could have done more with it. The highlight of course was Sussie's nightmare, which pulled back the fourth wall showing how her segments are done, only to have her run around screaming about the hideous monster she became. Though I actually have to wonder. In "The Uploads" when Sussie's makeover turned her into a human woman, why didn't she turn into Ben's girlfriend (the woman who's the model for Sussie who ran around screaming) instead of that random brunette woman? Was she some sort of British celebrity?

mr3urious

Reaction score
That was a fun episode, and was able to go to dark places as this show does best. Needlemeyer's insomnia was especially sad, showing how a guy who takes on many jobs and pushes himself beyond his limits has also compromised his mental health, too, not knowing what's a dream and what's reality anymore.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Misunderstandings was the theme of last night's episode, with Gumball trying to get to a date with Penny but getting roadblocked by others who want to do something with them. And he couldn't just tell them that he's late for a very important date because there wouldn't be an episode, now would it? :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh... cuz he's Gumball? :wink:

Anyone else get the fact they snuck in reverse flipping off at one point? This show, man...this show...

And yes, I've had really bad interactions with panhandlers a couple times like that. The crazier ones pretty much don't give a crap.

Still, you gotta wonder why Gumball hangs out with Banana Joe. Then again, beggars can't be choosers.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone else get the fact they snuck in reverse flipping off at one point? This show, man...this show...
Once again, this show can't say "bomb", yet gets away with so many other things like the "West Side" gang signs that Gumball threw down. That makes a whole lotta sense. :rolleyes: