The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland: A look back

Daffney

Reaction score
I've decided to do a thread covering this film, since well, it was another killer for theatrical muppet films in general.

Having Henson to do another Sesame Street movie was a no brainier. They still owned the SST Muppets and Sony still was having a field day with SST videos and audios. Also, Elmo was having star power. So, yeah, a motion picture opportunity was opened.

Unlike MFS, Jim Henson Pictures didn't have much pressure from Sony when making this film, excepting that it had to be ready for a autumn release in 1999. This film was cleverly shot after Season 29 of SST due to this. Also, they had Bear creator Mitchell Kriegman to write the script.

The finished film was unfortunately a mess. Unlike Follow that Bird, which was more of a family film, EIG was aimed only strictly to real little kids. That became apparent since Elmo talked at the audience for a good chunk of the film.

Maybe SST was losing ground to Blue's Clues during this time. You can tell that the film was trying to make the audience interact with the movie. But, as Roger Ebert once said, "You don't want to interact with the movie. You want the movie to interact on you."

Anyways, more flaws are clear. The story is dreadfully wacky (Elmo trying to find his blanket in a twisted world). It also got a bit stalled in the second act, so the film lost a charm that it could have.

Grouchland looked ridiculous, but they possibly wanted it to look ridiculous and succeeded all to well. I just felt there wasn't much of it. A bit of boredom struck me when Elmo was in the fields.

Heck, why Elmo had to be the one to get lost there. Shouldn't it be Oscar (since it's his place)? :grouchy:

Even the songs felt bland. I don't know what was the dealo with that.

There were some bright spots (Mandy Patinkin had fun with his villainous role and the Big Chicken was the highlight), but there were also horrible duds (the raspberry blowing contest and to some intent, Bug).

I'll give a good note, EIG was better than other "edutainment show" films like Barney's Great Adventure and Thomas and the Magic Railroad. But in it's own rights, the film is just flat out dull. The silly plot wasn't big enough and the targeted audience was too small to be a real family film.

EIG bombed at the box office and the ball was officially dropped. JHP had released three flops in a row. Sony now felt that Henson was unable to make profitable films. The JHP division was shaken up and was only used as a film credit.

Sony has only themselves to blame for this calamity.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It was a case of something being so theoretically successful that it actually couldn't be. Now, we'd all like to think quality of script = good box office, but who are we kidding? Terrible films do well all the time. No... the real problem is the demographic for the movie wasn't really theater friendly.

By all sense a movie starring the most popular character at the moment on the show, someone that sold so many toys, the mob was stock piling up the Christmas before, a character that they've been pimping out for the past decade and a half that's still popular SHOULD have been a success. But in terms of what they did, they basically made "He-man and She-ra: Secret of the Sword" with a bigger budget. It does little more than promote his popularity, and as a film it wasn't popular. The character was more popular than the film they made to PROMOTE how popular he was.

Now, the problem with the Barney and Thomas movies were simple... they were losing steam quite fast around that era. bareny was on the way out, Thomas only survived via home videos (Shining Time Station hadn't been on for years when the movie came out)... but Elmo? SS was never more popular as when they were shoving him into the spotlight. But then again, the movie's made for 3 year olds.... do you WANT to spend 10 bucks per person to have a 3 year old NOT sit quietly and watch the movie when you can spend the same amount on a home video? So that's also a major factor.

As for the film itself (and remember, quality and money made aren't usually closely related), the problem WAS that it was an Elmo movie. Now, I never got to see CinderElmo, but I'm sure they managed to work the other characters into the plot better. I like how Big Bird, Oscar, Telly and 2 of the adults came into Grouchland to rescue Elmo, but I did NOT like how they spent most of the movie in Grouchland jail, leaving Elmo by himself. And that's what's wrong with the movie... they tried too hard to make it Elmo's World... EW doesn't work because he's all by himself, only talking to the audience, with no one to play off of. And in a movie, it's even more awkward. I like how they used some of the better part of the movie exploring his character, but it wasn't nearly enough.

Yorick

Reaction score
Although it (obviously) wasn't a masterpiece like "Follow That Bird" (not even close!) I thought it was fun and entertaining enough as a film, and I liked that Ernie and Bert cut in now and then. I really liked the song Mandy Patinkin sang - "First I take it/then I make it miiiiiiine!"

However, I agree with your points on why it wasn't a hit, definitely!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Although it (obviously) wasn't a masterpiece like "Follow That Bird" (not even close!) I thought it was fun and entertaining enough as a film, and I liked that Ernie and Bert cut in now and then. I really liked the song Mandy Patinkin sang - "First I take it/then I make it miiiiiiine!"

However, I agree with your points on why it wasn't a hit, definitely!

Yeah, like I said before, this movie had potential, but blew it trying to be too much like Elmo's World (which only came out just around that time anyway). Ernie and Bert breaking the fourth wall= GENIUS! Elmo breaking the fourth wall to ask the audience for help= not even!

The film screamed DTV, yet due to the fact it got such harsh reviews and did so badly, there wasn't even a rush to go out and buy that vs the lousy 30 minutes for the same amount of money Sesame DVDs that were popping up then.

Yorick

Reaction score
Ernie and Bert breaking the fourth wall= GENIUS! Elmo breaking the fourth wall to ask the audience for help= not even!
I actually laughed out loud at that! :smile: Right on! And for that exact reason that you said, that it feels too much like "Elmo's World" which of course seems based on "Blue's Clues" with the whole asking for help thing. (If another show did that first, I'm not sure.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've long been a critic of Blue's Clues for letting that monster loose on an unsuspecting public introducing that to children's television. Now everyone's doing it. EW came out of BOTh the rise of BC and the need to put their best selling holiday toy character inot a bigger portion of the show.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Street Gang says that kids were losing interest in the show around the 45 minute mark, which is why they put EW there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Street Gang says that kids were losing interest in the show around the 45 minute mark, which is why they put EW there.
No... that's why a segment was put there. Otherwise any character, any character at all could have been chosen. Making it an Elmo segment was all about how popular the character was and how popular the toy was.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I was four when I saw it, and I really liked it. My dad enjoyed the Queen Of Trash's song Your Point of View. Any time I met someone who didn't want to share I was instantly reminded of Huxley.